#‎OscarsSoWhite‬... Again.

Discussion in 'Movies and Shorts' started by OckyDub, Jan 18, 2016.

1. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    #‎OscarsSoWhite‬... Again.

Spike Lee

I Would Like To Thank President Cheryl Boone Isaacs And The Board Of Governors Of The Academy Of Motion Pictures Arts And Sciences For Awarding Me an Honorary Oscar This Past November. I Am Most Appreciative. However My Wife, Mrs. Tonya Lewis Lee And I Will Not Be Attending The Oscar Ceremony This Coming February. We Cannot Support It And Mean No Disrespect To My Friends, Host Chris Rock and Producer Reggie Hudlin, President Isaacs And The Academy. But, How Is It Possible For The 2nd Consecutive Year All 20 Contenders Under The Actor Category Are White? And Let's Not Even Get Into The Other Branches. 40 White Actors In 2 Years And No Flava At All. We Can't Act?! WTF!!

It's No Coincidence I'm Writing This As We Celebrate The 30th Anniversary Of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr's Birthday. Dr. King Said "There Comes A Time When One Must Take A Position That Is Neither Safe, Nor Politic, Nor Popular But He Must Take It Because Conscience Tells Him It's Right".

For Too Many Years When The Oscars Nominations Are Revealed, My Office Phone Rings Off The Hook With The Media Asking Me My Opinion About The Lack Of African-Americans And This Year Was No Different. For Once, (Maybe) I Would Like The Media To Ask All The White Nominees And Studio Heads How They Feel About Another All White Ballot. If Someone Has Addressed This And I Missed It Then I Stand Mistaken.

As I See It, The Academy Awards Is Not Where The "Real" Battle Is. It's In The Executive Office Of The Hollywood Studios And TV And Cable Networks. This Is Where The Gate Keepers Decide What Gets Made And What Gets Jettisoned To "Turnaround" Or Scrap Heap. This Is What's Important. The Gate Keepers. Those With "The Green Light" Vote. As The Great Actor Leslie Odom Jr. Sings And Dances In The Game Changing Broadway Musical HAMILTON, "I WANNA BE IN THE ROOM WHERE IT HAPPENS". People, The Truth Is We Ain't In Those Rooms And Until Minorities Are, The Oscar Nominees Will Remain Lilly White.

As I Said In My Honorary Oscar Acceptance Speech, It's Easier For An African-American To Be President Of The United States Than Be President Of A Hollywood Studio. Also The United States Census Bureau Released A Report Stating White Americans Will Be A Minority In America By The Year 2044. Don't You Think It's A Wise Business Decision To Have Your Product And Workforce Reflect The Diversity Of The Greatest Country On This God's Earth? I Ask, What's The Hold Up? And Please... Don't Go To The Well And Say There Are No Qualified Minority Candidates For These Green Light Gate Keeping Positions.

It's Amazing How Far Sports And Music Have Moved Ahead Of Hollywood And Television, But Maybe We Can Learn From Them Too. Your Honor, I Present Exhibit A: The National Football League's Rooney Rule. It's Named After The Late Dan Rooney, Owner Of The Pittsburgh Steelers. Mr. Rooney Was Also Chairman Of The League's Diversity Committee.

The Rooney Rule States NFL Teams MUST Interview Minority Candidates For The Positions Of Head Coach And Senior Football Executives Before Hires. Since Being Put In Place Before The 2006 Season, African-American Hires Have Increased. Facebook And Pinterest Have Their Own Version Of The Rooney Rule To Hire Minorities. Why Can't Hollywood Do The Same? It's Worth The Effort Or It Will Be The Same Old Hi-Jinks. I Do Hope In My Children's Lifetime Things Will Change For The Betterment Of All Americans. A Great Diverse America.

Spike Lee
    Filmmaker
    Da Republic Of Brooklyn, New York
    MLK Day
    January 18th, 2016

NickAuzenneNOLA, Tyroc and redsai84 dapped this.
  2. @yahoo.com

@yahoo.com When the lights get low, I Burn Brighter.
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    This is an interesting topic. IT has been all over social media and main stream media as well, so it has a lot of traction right now.

As someone who is into movies - I have seen many of the movies nominated and the acting and other vices, including the stories are phenomenal. All of the artists are well deserving of their nominations.

Is this just a matter of there were films where the acting, writing, direction and visual effects were better than those movies identified as "black." I think this should be a push for black / latino / asian actors and film support personnel to be better at their craft. Raise the bar. My two cents!

OckyDub dapped this.
  3. OckyDub

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    First Aunt Viv goes in

This is one of those instances where I agree with everyone's point of view.

NickAuzenneNOLA dapped this.
  4. NickAuzenneNOLA

The Great Debater The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Dating:
    Single
    If what she said about will is accurate my respect level for him has just tanked! She lit into them

5. Champagne Papi

Champagne Papi is a Featured MemberChampagne Papi side-n*gga paralegal
    Most Comedic Player The 1000 Daps Club Best Gifs

Daps Received:
    [​IMG]

grownman and OckyDub dapped this.
  6. OckyDub

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    Yeah...like I said...I'm agreeing with everybody on this who has an opinion. Shout out to @Nick Delmacy :dead1:

Jdudre and grownman dapped this.
  7. Lancer

Best Thread Creator The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    [​IMG]
    I love me some Funky Dineva!!!

#7 Lancer, Jan 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
    LeMignon dapped this.
  8. Lancer

Best Thread Creator The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I found this hilariously funny. Chescaleigh has always been my favorite.

LeMignon and Jdudre dapped this.
  9. grownman

The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    I laughed so hard that my head hurts and I am crying. Janet Hubbard or we know her as "Aunt Viv" decided to give us a video post. This adds that extra seasoning.

10. questforknowledge

Bae Material Squad Leader The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    LOL! This video is hilarious. I saw concussion not too long ago and I thought it was good, but I don't know if it was oscar worthy.

Jdudre dapped this.