‘Sense8′ Cancelled: Netflix Ends The Wachowskis’ Progressive Sci-Fi Drama After Two Seasons

Discussion in 'Television and Web Series' started by Nick Delmacy, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Nick Delmacy

Nick Delmacy is a Verified MemberNick Delmacy Da Architect
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    [​IMG]

Netflix is cutting ties with another young original program. After putting the axe to “The Get Down” last week, the streaming giant cancelled “Sense8” early Thursday afternoon.

The news comes just one day after Netflix founder and CEO Reed Hastings went on CNBC and said the service should be cancelling more shows.

“Our hit ratio is way too high right now,” Hastings said. “So, we’ve canceled very few shows […] I’m always pushing the content team: We have to take more risk; you have to try more crazy things. Because we should have a higher cancel rate overall.”

Cindy Holland, Netflix’s VP of Original Content, released the following statement on Thursday regarding the cancellation:

After 23 episodes, 16 cities, and 13 countries, the story of the ‘Sense8’ cluster is coming to an end. It is everything we and the fans dreamed it would be: bold emotional, stunning, kick ass, and outright unforgettable. Never as there been a more truly global show with an equally diverse and international cast and crew, which is only mirrored by the connected community of deeply passionate fans all around the world. We thank Lana, Lilly, Joe, and Grant for their vision, and the entire cast and crew for their craftsmanship and commitment.

“Sense8” earned mostly positive reviews for both seasons, with a slight uptick in acclaim for Season 2. IndieWire TV Editor Liz Shannon Miller gave the follow-up year a B+ in her review and said, “‘Sense8’ may have had a slow start in Season 1, but Season 2 is a hell of a ride. Hold on tight.”

Because of the series’ originality as well as its diverse cast and progressive storylines — including a scene filmed during the largest gay pride celebration in the world — “Sense8” earned a passionate following as well as accolades from the GLAAD Media Awards and the Gay and Lesbian Entertainment Critics Association, among others.

In the past, Netflix has largely stuck by its original programming for more than one or two seasons. “The Get Down” marked the first original series to be cancelled after just one season. “Marco Polo” was the only Netflix original to be cancelled after two seasons. Meanwhile, critical duds like “Hemlock Grove” and expensive endeavors with mixed reviews like “Bloodline” were given three seasons each, and creators were told in advance that it would be their final season.

2. acessential

Squad Leader Best Thread Creator The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I saw this coming. With all the different shooting locations in addition to general film expenses, this show is EXPENSIVE. Even if it is critically acclaimed and successful, there's no way of getting around that price tag.

Discordant dapped this.
  3. BlackguyExecutive

BlackguyExecutive Je suis diplomate
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Married
    I thought it was a great show. I just hope Netflix produces a proper ending to the show.

Discordant and acessential dapped this.
  4. Discordant

Squad Leader The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I'll certainly miss it. I like that they were ambitious with the project.

Caliblk and acessential dapped this.
  5. OhSheit

Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bicurious
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    Saw 3 episodes the other day, hated it. Muhahaha! :umad:

6. ControlledXaos

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    If serious, everything comes together on episode 4.

7. OhSheit

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bicurious
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    idk maybe ill give it another spin but it's gonna have to be bumped to the end of the queue

They cancelled The Get Down too btw but id you watched part 2's finale it was pretty expected as they basically gave a happily ever after closing. So I don't get why there was outrage over that too, producers knew they were done with it.

8. takeyourmeds91

The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Sense8 was extremely creative, authentic, and the cinematography was unmatched. I love that they actually shot on location. A months ago, I sat back and was like damn, what was the budget on this and found out it was a grip lol.

-But- I do think the episodes were too drawn out. They could have cut the content down to ~40 min/episode. The extra content that amounts to ~20 min is soo painful to sit through.

When it's good, it's really damn good but otherwise, it's like watching paint dry underwater.

9. madmoral

madmoral Squad Member

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    I get a hard on for shows about people sitting around not really doing much and this show has A LOT of that. An when the actions scenes come on...my hard on remained :/ It'll be missed.

10. NikR

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    Xoo1wZ3.gif

troy-barnes-crying.gif

imma miss it

Caliblk and takeyourmeds91 dapped this.
  11. NikR

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single

what did you say.gif

lol

12. takeyourmeds91

The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Unless it was the Mexican couple, the Korean chick, or my Nigerian boy, I didn't give two shits what the hell was going on in elsewhere. The Europe crew were boring af.

acessential dapped this.
  13. Discordant

Daps Received:
    The Indian girl was boring but beautiful. And I liked the trans girlfriend and hacker buddy, but yeah the European/American crew were dry but all had their purposes.

acessential dapped this.
  14. acessential

Squad Leader Best Thread Creator The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I thought I was the only one who hated the German dude. I still don't fully understand his backstory. Icelandic girl and cop dude were.....meh.

takeyourmeds91 dapped this.
  15. takeyourmeds91

The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Oh I forgot about the the two girlfriends, I enjoyed their line too. Indian chick was gorgeous.

Discordant dapped this.
  16. Discordant

Daps Received:
    I don't know if you watch Dr. Who, but the black girl was one of the Dr.'s (better) companions.

17. takeyourmeds91

The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I don't actually but I feel like everybody else has. I guess it's worth it, huh?

18. Discordant

Daps Received:
    I've enjoyed the series since the reboot 10ish years ago. Each Doctor has his own vibe (and episodes range from light adventure to space horror) and the stories kind of reflect that, but it's a fun show if you're into sci-fi. Incidentally, the season that Freema (the black girl) was on had one of the best horror episodes ever ("Blink.") I still get chills thinking about it.

takeyourmeds91 dapped this.
  19. Caliblk

Caliblk Squad Member

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    Nooooooooo. This was MY SHOW. Season 2 WAS EVERYTHING I wanted and didn't even know it. I'm am legit pissed