Best Posts in Thread: Twitter Explodes after ESPN Host Wears ‘Caucasians’ Shirt to Call Out Cleveland Indians Logo

1. Tyroc

Tyroc Deactivated Account

Daps Received:
    Translation: How dare you be insensitive and offended by our centuries long insensitivity!

2. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married

Sports journalist Bomani Jones had ESPN and social media in an uproar Thursday after guest-hosting the sports network’s “Mike & Mike” show while wearing a T-shirt that brilliantly mocked the continued practice of American sports teams using ethnic groups as mascots, specifically the Cleveland Indians.

Jones wore a shirt in the style of the Cleveland Indians logo, except that the team name read “Caucasians” and replaced the Chief Wahoo mascot with a blond white guy who has a dollar sign sticking out of the back of his head.

White America predictably freaked out on Twitter to say their feelings were hurt.

It bothers me that @bomani_jones is wearing a 'Caucasian' shirt…

— Lawrence Jackson (@LoJackson94) April 7, 2016

Nice shirt @bomani_jones wore on TV. Now, 3 people know who he is. #yawn #whoareyou

— Brian V. (@godogs44) April 7, 2016

I wanna see a white guy that works for @ESPN, wear a shirt that says "Africans" on national tv, without any repercussion.

— e (@Efrisco_) April 7, 2016

The irony is obvious, as Native Americans have to deal with offensive images of their culture being paraded about by multi-million dollar marketing teams while these white people can’t even handle one satirical shirt without pouting or lashing out with more racism.

Sources told TMZ Sports that “ESPN freaked out” and asked Jones to hide his shirt. About midway through the show, Jones had to “partially zip up the front of the front of his hoodie” to obscure the image.

Despite the usual temper tantrums, social media response was overwhelmingly supportive of Jones’s statement.

I'm a big fan of @bomani_jones for a number of reasons, this is pretty high on the list of them ????Bomani Jones’s “Caucasians” Shirt Is The Blackest Thing That Ever Happened Today | VSB

— Zoé S. (@ztsamudzi) April 7, 2016

@elonjames @bomani_jones "all shirts matter"

— Johnetta Elzie (@Nettaaaaaaaa) April 7, 2016

But @bomani_jones highlighting our flagrant violence & hypocrisy offends my delicate constitution. #EbrojiMoments pic.twitter.com/PzdbklE3x3

— jesseWilliams. (@iJesseWilliams) April 7, 2016

In a later interview with ESPN host Molly Qerim, Jones joked that he wore the shirt because “it was clean.”

“I really like the shirt,” Jones said. “I think it’s funny, it’s like the Cleveland Indians shirt. Exactly the same as the Cleveland Indians shirt with just one small change. That’s it.”

Jones said that the money sign behind the Caucasian “mascot” was perhaps the most telling. “I think the money sign is very helpful, because people still buy this stuff. The reason they won’t get rid of Chief Wahoo — it’s completely indefensible — is because they can still sell stuff with it.”

“This is the same thing that goes on with the logo for the Cleveland Indians, right? So to have a problem with the logo of this would be to have a problem with the Indians. But if you’re quiet about the Indians and now you got something to say about my shirt, I think it’s time for introspection.”