2017 - Too Many Deaths At The Hands Of romantic partner

Discussion in 'Mental, Medical and Sexual Health' started by takeyourmeds91, Jan 3, 2018.

1. takeyourmeds91

The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Hey guys,

I received some really bad news over the holiday that I lost a friend to domestic violence.

I know a couple weeks ago @NikR created an amazing post with many resources about suicide and depression: http://cypheravenue.com/boards/threads/depression-and-suicide-are-real-if-youre-in-crisis-click-here.4247/

In the same vein, if you know someone who is in an abusive relationship, please reach out to that person. I know some folks are worried about overstepping their bounds or how the other person might receive your concern but better you said something than to get a call in the middle of the night that your friend is out in the streets, in the hospital, or murdered.

As men of color in the LGBT spectrum, we have become way too desensitized to verbal and emotional assault. It’s never okay and we need to start investing in ourselves and taking care of our emotional and physical well-being. We’re only human and nothing more.

No one deserves to be assaulted, coerced, controlled, or treated in any other way that takes away their own agency.

In addition to talking someone who is known and trusted, here are some additional resources:

LGBT specific:
    National Coalition of Anti-Violence Programs
    National Coalition of Anti-Violence Programs
    Hotline: 212-714-1141

General:
    National Domestic Violence Hotline:
    http://www.thehotline.org
    800-799-SAFE (7233)

The Center for Disease Control (CDC) also lists other resources that are available in the link below:
    Suicide and Violence Prevention | Gay and Bisexual Men's Health | CDC

Again, take care of yourselves and your loved ones as we proceed into the new year.

eli94, ControlledXaos, OckyDub and 3 others dapped this.
  2. NikR

Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    I'm really sorry to hear this. Please accept my condolences.