Best Posts in Thread: Harpo for President...Thoughts?

1. DreG

DreG is a Featured MemberDreG Art Heaux
    Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    She's great and all,but this hype around her is part of a a common problem . a rousing speech should not be what sells you on a leader,or anything.Speeches are just performances to build hype.They never give you the things you need to make informed decisions.This reasoning for choosing leaders is why we are where we are now,and why other tyrants and facists were able to gain support to get in positions of power.

2. RolandG

Bae Material Squad Leader The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    It's complicated
    It boggles my mind that people speak of us needing "qualified politicians" to run this country. Correct me if i'm wrong but haven't "qualified politicians" run up the debt, passed tax cuts for the rich, gotten us into countless wars, dropped bombs on innocent civilians, and scare us by threatening to take away our healthcare and civil liberties? Not saying Oprah is the person to lead this country but can we get off this sanctimonious high horse of ours and stop thinking that you have to be a career politician in order to fix what's broken? Not every career civil servant is right for this country and not every non-civil servant is right for this country. Really, besides a few terms in the Illinois Legislator and half a term as a senator, what seperates Obama from Oprah? IJS

NewAfrikan, mojoreece, Apollo and 2 others dapped this.
  3. Cyrus-Brooks

Cyrus-Brooks is a Featured MemberCyrus-Brooks The Black Vulcan
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    Too many on the political left in this country are just stupid. They have an almost autistic single mindedness when it comes to the presidency. The big problem is Republicans control both chambers of Congress, most state legislatures, and most governor's offices in the country and that's how right wing have been able to hijack the country by gerrymandering themselves super majorities. They are slowly turning the clock back to 1929. What are the Democrats doing? Kissing Oprah's ass. I for one would not vote for her. She has no political experience and even in the off chance she did get elected you can bet red state America would mobilize to make sure they atleast mainted control of Congress. They will be able to contain a President Oprah just like contained Obama. Legislators will continue to turn back the clock on workers rights, promote corporate malfeasance, promote Christian theocracy, dismantle the social safety net, they'll continue mass incarceration and drug war polices. The political left need to get smart and learn to walk and chew gum at the same time.
    1: they need to refocus on combating the Republicans on the state level where most policy is made. 2: they need to retake the Senate and the House of representatives or atleast chip away at the supermajority in the House of representatives. 3: They need field qualified candidates for president who A: know how the political system works and that can actually drive a political agenda and B: will not be perceived as threatening by white middle America.

4. BlackguyExecutive

BlackguyExecutive Je suis diplomate
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Married
    I am so sick of the left, which I am proudly part of and our god damn fever dreams.

Do I love Oprah, I mean who doesn't? She is the epitome of self-made. More power to her. I think it would be a disastrous mistake for Oprah to try to become a politician, which despite what you think is a skillset. Oprah's brand, Orpah's ethos, Oprah's regard would be ruined as soon as she slapped on a partisan label.

Oprah is a once in a lifetime talent whom we should all try to learn from. But she is not a politician. Could Oprah become a successful candidate for the presidency? Absolutely. Could she even win a presidential election against Donald? Without a doubt.

One of Oprah’s most powerful tools in her toolbelt is her ability to unite Americans across party lines. She is one of few Americans who has a platform just as big as the president. When Oprah speaks, people listen. The same won’t be true if private citizen Oprah becomes presidential candidate Winfrey. Presidential candidate Winfrey will have her philanthropy turned into a weapon used against her, rather than an example of her devotion to equality. Does that sound familiar? Presidential candidate Winfrey will have her personal relationships placed under a microscope. Need I go on? Presidential candidate Winfrey will be attacked from every direction.

All this attention and speculation has been fun or whatever but American liberals need to get a fucking grip! Oprah is not the savior. She is not the change we seek.

:hubie::ravetho: