50 Cent Believes JAY-Z’s ‘4:44’ Went “Quiet Quick” Because It Was Too Mature

Discussion in 'Music and Podcasts' started by OckyDub, Sep 27, 2017.

1. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    [​IMG]

For the first time in over 10 years, 50 Cent returned to Hot 97 on Tuesday, sitting down with Ebro in The Morning to talk about his foray into television, JAY-Z's 4:44 album and the death of New York hip-hop, among other topics.

Throughout the 40-plus minute interview, 50 delivered a handful of headline-worthy remarks and hot takes, most notably criticizing Jay's decision to throw a shot at Future ("In the future, other niggas playin' football with your son/You had lost it, 13 bottles of Ace of Spade what it did to Boston") on "Kill Jay Z," but the most interesting commentary occurred when 50 Cent and Ebro discussed how to gauge a hit record in 2017, which ultimately led 50 to conclude that the reason Jay's latest LP had a short shelf life on the charts is because it was too mature for hip-hop's youth-driven culture.

"What Jay was doing on the record, there was more maturity than the actual music," 50 said. "He can take that out. Because it's youth culture. Hip-hop is youth-driven. Right? And as far as the lyrics are concerned in the actual record, this is why I'm listening to it, because you can listen to Jay records for fucking Lord knows how long and pick up new stuff that he did.

"Traditionally, it would have came in and been a quality piece of work. What it is right now for the audience, the kids that are out, actively involved in the culture, driving what is hot and what is not, you see how that went quiet quick? It had the best marketing campaign. He had 4:44 all over the place, but who you hear playing it?"

50 is right in that hip-hop is and always has been driven by the youth, both in terms of creation and consumption. Just look at the 15 most popular artists on the planet last week—Gucci Mane is the oldest name on the list at 37 and he's been playing catch-up after several years behind bars.

However, Jay's decision to exclusively release 4:44 on TIDAL—which despite making perfect sense from a marketing standpoint stunted his overall numbers—and his continued reluctance to make the album available on Spotify have impacted the album's continued popularity far greater than Jay's decision to craft a mature, grown album about his adult life as Shawn Carter.

Younger artists like Kendrick Lamar and J. Cole have both found tremendous success by releasing mature albums with little to no "mainstream"-appealing records meant for radio. The youth still gravitates to their work, though, because the music has been that good.

While 50's message isn't completely off base, I'm not sure he's the best messenger in this instance. Though a legend now and forever more in hip-hop, 50 has a grand total of one top 30 record since 2012 ("My Life") and it's been a decade since his last top 10 record ("Ayo Technology").

50 Cent Believes JAY-Z’s ‘4:44’ Went “Quiet Quick” Because It Was Too Mature

Cyrus-Brooks dapped this.
  2. Cyrus-Brooks

Cyrus-Brooks is a Featured MemberCyrus-Brooks The Black Vulcan
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    50 cent does have a point. Those of us in the Gen X crowd are now in our late 30s to early 50s. We're the old heads we're no longer in the driver's seat of what's hot in hip hop/rap. The reason Jay-Z can still drop albums is because he's Jay-Z many other artists from the 90s era have to stir up controversy on YouTube or social media to be relevant. Rappers have always had a short shelf life. It is what it is. I think one of the things that really piss off the old heads is the level of disrespect alot of theese new age rappers have. Previous generations it was an unwritten rule you didn't disrespect pioneers. So I get why alot of kats in my age group looks sideways at these youngins. You would feel some type of way if some weirdo with face tattoos, dyed dreadlocks, wearing a dress is talking shit about you on Twitter.

OckyDub dapped this.
  3. OhSheit

Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bicurious
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    Only Jay-Z can come from the era he came from, put out music today and do what he does.
    However, the fact that he took his music off the bigger/biggest streaming websites made it hard for him to compete with younger artists. While it's still alive, not many are fucking with TIDAL as much as he thought. His deal with sprint made up for all of that, so his sales are fine in comparison to artists with albums driven by streaming units from spotify and apple music. 4:44 is acclaimed and I'd say it had your average buzz that any album has when it comes out too.

When it comes to black music, rappers of all ages will forever push more units than R&B artists, and they can do that with just their first week of sales too. Nothing dead about Hip-Hop it's the most popular genre in the country. Older acts still manage to get acclaim and reach to a younger generation (look at A Tribe Called Quest's last album for ex.) even if radio won't play them.

Jay is fine. Don't know about 50... :dame: