A Chopped Cheese by way of Gentrification

Discussion in 'Race, Religion, Science and Politics' started by Omega Level, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Omega Level

Omega Level DRACARYS
    The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    For all my New York bros who can DEFINITELY relate to this.

Others as well in cities where gentrification is palpable.

2. itsumoconfused

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Dating:
    Single
    I saw this a few days ago and wanted to post here. He had me rolling talking about that woman's reactions.

3. alton

Squad Leader The Great Debater The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    All jokes aside, he couldn't have put this better.

4. Omega Level

Omega Level DRACARYS
    The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    Its just still beyond amazing when you hear about certain style, foods, dancing, music, etc etc that is "new" when "popular" culture and mainly white America gets a hold of it.

I remember not long ago they had a picture of white girls with their hair wrapped and bobby pins saying "what a new style". As well as cuts in eyebrows saying its a "daring NEW style" while I remember doing that in middle school.

Love all races, but black people as well as other people of color are the most innovative race I have ever witnessed in regards to style and culture. I live in Harlem and in my brownstone I am the only black person that lives here now out of 6 apartments. No biggie , but kinda a biggie.

Its just sad when I hear the saying "Everyone loves Black culture, just not Black people". Sad because sometimes its VERY true.

acessential, grownman, alton and 2 others dapped this.
  5. alton

Daps Received:
    @SB3 What you got to say 'bout these people pioneerin' "down to tha 'hoods" and makin; their "discoveries"? LMAO

#5 alton, Jun 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  6. alton

Daps Received:
    MOST times it's very true.

7. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Goddamit quit using that 'Columbus syndrome' shit...what about Magellan or Desoto or Hudson or any of them. Blame the Spanish who sent him! Leave us out of it. NO we are NOT changing our name because of this.

*And everybody knows that the best friends of New Yorkers( Manhattan, Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, or Staten fucking Island) are the rats in du-rags and Timbs anyway.

(of course this is all meant in a humorous way)..

#7 ColumbusGuy, Jun 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  8. Winston Smith

Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    It's happening here in Chicago, too, just not as fast as NYC...all the bullets flying tend to slow yuppies down (hee hee)

Plus here it's not just racial. The gay section of Chicago, Lakeview aka "Boystown" has seen gay people, particularly working class white and POC ones, get pushed out of the area by young straight white yuppie couples with rugrats. Now the yuppies complain about Pride and "the element" that the gay bars bring to the area (Sorry, Mandy and Biff, the bars were there before you), and have even pushed for the city to take the pride parade out of the area and stick it downtown...away from their gentrified homes.

Somebody somewhere is always pushing somebody out of somewhere else.

itsumoconfused dapped this.
  9. itsumoconfused

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Dating:
    Single
    I felt it when I was in Hyde Park with the new construction of WHOLE FOODS, the savior, coming into the neighborhood that my friend resides in. I mean. I know Whole Foods isn't and wasn't the beginning of the process in that neighborhood, but it's like the icing on the cake.

Winston Smith dapped this.
  10. Winston Smith

Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    I was actually happy to see WF, for once, as Treasure Island needs some competition. I never buy groceries in my own neighborhood dur to the ridiculous prices (often twice as much on some items as Walmart). The real icing for me will be when they trash Hyde Park and south side beaches like they do on the north side. Moving to Chicago, it was the damnedest thing to me; the north side, predominantly white, beaches looked so shitty and rundown, while the south side, predominantly black, beaches were more pristine. Definitely defied the stereotypes.

11. SB3

SB3 is a Featured MemberSB3
    Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Im in the last bk nabe that they haven't pounced on yet, E Flatbush. It's 99.9% West Indian, and these mofos aint goin NOWHERE! In the 7 or so yrs Ive been in this general nabe, Ive prob seen 10 white ppl. I have a decent walk to the train (or a short bus ride), but my rent is cheap (for NY), so I'm staying right here w Wyclef's cuzzins.

alton dapped this.
  12. alton

Daps Received:
    Yeah, I think Flatbush gonna be the "last stand" when it comes to the settlers takin over. I don't even venture down there like that unless absolutely necessary. LOL

SB3 dapped this.
  13. SB3

SB3 is a Featured MemberSB3
    Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Yea, i lived in bushwick in 2006, paid 1400 a month (700 each) n the rent jumped by 200 when it came time to renew. I cant imagine what that same apt goes for now in 'south Williamsburg'. Smh

Im 4 stops from Manhattan on the 4. Works for me.

14. OhSheit

Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bicurious
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    I subscribed to his channel. He has some other interesting videos.

15. jpo

jpo
    The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    It happened in DC years ago. The area around Dupont Circle was the gay neighborhood when I moved to DC in 1981. Many of the large old row houses were either rooming houses where young gay men who worked in a lot of the gay businesses (bookstores, bars, card shops, clothing stores, restaurants, fast food places, record stores) in the area lived. Others were group houses. It was a real community with five or six bars. The pride parade moved through the neighborhood.
    By the mid 90s it had changed. People started to buy the big old houses and renovate them for themselves or turn them into condos. The new straight folks who moved in didn't like the bars, the folks out on the street past their bedtime (9:30). What was a fun, lively community - although a largely white segregated community - disappeared. There is one bar left and it is on the edge of the neighborhood on a street where there are no residences.

ColumbusGuy dapped this.