Andrew Gillum Becomes First African-American Nominee For Florida Governor

Discussion in 'Race, Religion, Science and Politics' started by OckyDub, Aug 28, 2018.

1. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    [​IMG]

Andrew Gillum has become the first African-American nominee for Florida governor, pulling off an upset win over favorite Gwen Graham and two big-spending businessmen in a crowded Democratic primary field.

The Tallahassee mayor will face Jacksonville congressman Ron DeSantis, who easily defeated state agriculture commissioner Adam Putnam thanks to the backing of President Donald Trump.

Gillum never led in any public polling, but was showing signs of gaining momentum in the final weeks. He benefited from being chosen by the progressive wing of the party’s most generous benefactors ― including billionaires Tom Steyer and George Soros ― as well as from a barrage of negative ads against Graham by billionaire Jeff Greene.

Greene wound up finishing fourth in the five-way pack, but he spent $10 million on ads attacking Graham ― more than she spent on television on her own behalf. Liberal outside groups, meanwhile, coalesced around Gillum and served as his turnout operation, particularly in urban areas with large concentrations of younger and minority voters.

The race will now become a referendum on Trump’s presidency, with Gillum painting DeSantis as a Trump clone and DeSantis hoping to bring out as many Trump voters as he can in November.

Trump has spent winter weekends and holidays at his Mar-a-Lago resort in Palm Beach for years and considers himself a part-time resident of the state. It is unclear how frequently, if at all, he will campaign for DeSantis in the two months leading up to the Nov. 6 general election. Whether Republicans retain control of Congress could determine the survival of the Trump presidency, and his political advisers may choose to focus his time on House and Senate seats.

Trump campaigned with DeSantis only once during the primary, at a rally in Tampa in July, and sent out a handful of supportive statements on Twitter, including the message “VOTE FOR RON” in all capitals late Monday. But in a GOP primary electorate bearing little resemblance to the one that supported former Gov. Jeb Bush and former U.S. Sen. Connie Mack, Trump’s seal of approval allowed DeSantis to overcome enormous disadvantages in cash and traditional support.

The state Republican establishment was solidly behind Putnam even before he announced his candidacy. From a cattle ranching and citrus family in the heart of the state, Putnam had been grooming himself for this run from the time he graduated college. He won a state legislative seat at age 22, then moved to Congress four years later, returning to Florida in 2010 to run for state agriculture commissioner.

He served two terms, coinciding with Rick Scott’s years as governor, and had appeared the heir apparent to the job as Scott leaves because of term limits.

DeSantis, in contrast, entered politics just six years ago, when he ran for Congress from the wealthy suburbs of Jacksonville, his hometown, after serving as a Navy prosecutor. His deployment to Iraq during President George W. Bush’s “troop surge” there was a highlight of his biography on the campaign trail. Despite the populist, pro-Trump rhetoric he has delivered for years from the Fox TV studio near the U.S. Capitol, DeSantis graduated from Yale and received a law degree from Harvard.

And while Putnam also praised Trump repeatedly on the campaign trail, his standing with Trump likely was irreparably damaged in October 2016 after the release of the “Access Hollywood” tape that featured Trump bragging that his celebrity enabled him to grab women by the genitals. Putnam criticized Trump for the remarks, while DeSantis did not.

DeSantis leaned on Trump’s approval heavily, mentioning it often in stump speeches and in TV ads. He even produced an ad using his young children as props, dressing up his infant in a “Make America Great Again” onesie.

Yet while DeSantis’ love for and from Trump clearly helped him against Putnam in the Republican primary, it may wind up hurting him in the November election against Gillum. Trump is not popular with many independents and even some moderate Republicans. Democrat Margaret Good defeated the son of sitting Republican congressman Vern Buchanan in a special election for a state House seat in Sarasota earlier this year, even though the district leans solidly Republican.

Gillum, though, may have his own vulnerabilities as a candidate while the FBI investigates Tallahassee city government. Gillum has said he has been told he is not a target of the probe, but one of his closest friends and a former political ally has been the subject of federal subpoenas examining a restaurant he developed in part using city money.

Florida Democrats have not won a governor’s race since 1994, when Lawton Chiles won a second term by defeating Republican Jeb Bush. The party has come within a single percentage point in both 2010 and 2014, losing both times to Scott.

Juan-Carlos, jusrawb, Lancer and 2 others dapped this.
  2. OckyDub

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    Gillum scored a major endorsement from Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT), who helped his campaign.

mojoreece dapped this.
  3. Infinite_loop

Infinite_loop Is this thing on?
    Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    SGL
    OK #GovernorBae
    congrats to him. Now hopefully Dems WILL SHOW UP on election day in november. Saw a video of him during the debate; he reminds me of Obama...

OckyDub dapped this.
  4. Winston Smith

Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Bernie Sanders is a fucking idiot and a bane on sensible politics and economics who I wish would just roll over and fucking die already, but glad Gillum prevailed despite Sander’s meaningless endorsement (hatred of “Bernie Bros” is one of the few things I share in common with the writers at The Root).

I don’t know much about Florida’s voter make-up, other than once you leave the big cities like Miami, most of the state is a redneck shithole. Luckily, there’s a sizable, sensible, hardworking, Hispanic population, and with the influx of Puerto Rican voters (thanks to Trump’s white supremacist response to the hurricane), if I were Gillum I’d choose a Latinx running mate.

As for all the rich and hoity toity white libs and Dems who supported Gillum at the last possible minute, buy yourself a copy of the book below and don’t turn into the usual “we must appeal to GOP moderates and rednecks in the general election” pussies that you ALWAYS morph into...
    [​IMG]

5. OckyDub

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
  6. BlackguyExecutive

BlackguyExecutive Je suis diplomate
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Married
    As a Native Floridian and person who voted absentee for Andrew Gillum, I am proud of the Democrats in my state. We have broken a model of magical middle road politics. The thing I love about Gillum is that he is unapologetically progressive and ran on an openly liberal agenda. He is authentically black, meaning he embarrassed his blackness and didn't hide from it like some other prominent state black democrats.

For real, for real, I think this country will lose it shit if both Gillum and Stacey Abrams win on November 6th.

NewAfrikan, OckyDub and Infinite_loop dapped this.
  7. Winston Smith

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Well, I hope you’re right, but I have absolutely no faith in America in general anymore, and white people in particular, REGARDLESS of party (sorry, unlike you I no longer give a shit about this country, it’s leadership, or its flag; my citizenship is only a matter of mere legality not fidelity).

I also expect the Democrats (party not rank and file) to show their usual asses and not support the brother properly. However, he’s got a head on his shoulders so I’m sure, like Obama, he’s factored in America’s ain’t-shit-ness and has strategy ready in place.

8. Infinite_loop

Infinite_loop Is this thing on?
    Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    SGL
    [QUOTE="BlackguyExecutive, post: 51475, member: 11"

For real, for real, I think this country will lose it shit if both Gillum and Stacey Abrams win on November 6th.[/QUOTE]
    I am buying enough popcorn for WHEN this happens.... as President pumpkin head put it "it's gonna be tremendous"

NewAfrikan and BlackguyExecutive dapped this.
  9. OckyDub

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
  10. BlackguyExecutive

BlackguyExecutive Je suis diplomate
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Married

Sorry. I definitely meant Embraced and not embarrassed in my previous post.

11. Winston Smith

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    @OckyDub
    My point exactly. That’s why I’ll support and send money to Gillum as an individual candidate but his party, the DNC, can go fuck itself as much as the GOP.

I’m actually old enough to remember when the great white liberal Democratic city of Boston wanted to ban the TV show “Welcome Back Kotter” from airing because they thought a corny ABC sitcom showing an integrated inner city N.Y.C. high school would stir up trouble

:maxine:

Remember, all the shit black folk in Chicago for the last 100 years—-police brutality, segregation, economic disenfranchisement—-occurred and continues under white DEMOCRATS, as there are probably maybe three Republicans in all of Cook County lol

[​IMG]

Vote PEOPLE not PARTIES

Also, for all the brainwashed negroes who think James Comey is now invited to the picnic because he claims to now be anti-Trump, it appears he and the FBI started their COINTELPRO shit on Mayor Gillum early under our former president:

How the FBI f*cked Andrew Gillum

OckyDub dapped this.