Anonymous poll-how much do you make?

Discussion in 'Group Discussions' started by ColumbusGuy, Sep 18, 2016.

?
  1. less than $20,000.00 a year

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. 20,000.00 to 30,000.00 a year

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. $30,000.00 to $40,000.00 a year

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. $40,000.00 to $50,000.00 a year

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  5. $50,000.00 to $75,000.00 a year

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  6. $75,000.00 to $100,000 a year

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  7. over $100,000.00 a year

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    So how much do you make? Gays are supposed to be wealthy and all with disposable income out the ass, according to much of the media. So how much do you make a year? Do you/have you ever struggled to make ends meet or survive?

Whether or not you do or don't vote in this poll...

What do you think of the narrative of gays 'making more money'? Is this overlooking black gay men?

Most men in the US are not by definition 'professionals' with four year degrees, advanced degrees, high incomes, etc. and this is even more true for black men and black gay men as well. If you are not a 'professional' by definition or income(no matter what your educational attainments, etc) do you see bias in the gay community, the black gay community, etc?

Also, does poverty/lack of money affect/effect(I give up on these two I just give up*feels stupid* lol) People you love or are close to?

2. acessential

Squad Leader Best Thread Creator The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I definitely bring the average down. I'm still a grad student and the only money I make is from a stipend. Even then, I'm pretty sure the brothers on this site aren't representative of the general population. I think many of us have some form of higher education.

LeMignon dapped this.
  3. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    I came close to graduating, but messed around with too many majors and did not finish my Urban And Economic Geography degree when I only had the seminar left, and a couple classes in German. One of my biggest mistakes. That and nursing school is it. I am not 'unintelligent' but the level of education on here is a bit daunting. Don't get burnt out and quit kids!

Sometimes I wonder if this should be "Cypher Avenue: for professional black gay/bi masculine men and the guys who support them who all should be professionals as well and making much money now or on their way to it."

Look how many damn doctors/about to be doctors are on here! And they are single! And attractive!!! smh.

acessential dapped this.
  4. Nick Delmacy

Nick Delmacy is a Verified MemberNick Delmacy Da Architect
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    We did a survey of the readers a couple years ago and got some interesting results.

ATTENTION MEN: Cypher Avenue Needs Your Feedback!

Here was the results of earnings disclosed:

Screen Shot 2016-09-18 at 4.09.08 PM.png
    Those are actually pretty decent numbers considering that the national average income for individuals is roughly $30,000.

Also, our site skews heavily towards younger guys so they are more likely to be still figuring out what they want to do in life, still be in school or still slowly rising in their careers.

Screen Shot 2016-09-18 at 4.09.39 PM.png

5. LeMignon

LeMignon Your Favorite Nephew
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Oh wow! So we really do fit the stereotype, even when race is accounted for. I know my income will be rising soon as I graduate in May!

6. HauteChocolat

HauteChocolat Squad Member

Daps Received:
    I'd be honest and say, personally, financial background has an impact on such relationships. I'm not one to chat about money neither do I consider access to money a factor in interacting with people - that's hardly a proper signifier of good character/personality - but I do feel generally, as far as amorous relationships and close friendships go, there is a wave length which certain [shared] experiences, usually (and preferably) from growing up, brings them into and finance more often than not plays a part in this one way or another. It'd be a pain to try to discuss or do things that are of interest to one and have it totally lost on the person one is meant to be close to. Also, it's often uncomfortable to have an invited person stand out awkwardly from a group. All in all, this is about experiences and exposure.

Writing this, I remember the scene from The Talented Mr Ripley, where Gwyneth's character suggested to Matt Damon's he couldn't come on a trip because he wouldn't fit in with the skiing crowd.

7. Nick Delmacy

Nick Delmacy is a Verified MemberNick Delmacy Da Architect
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    I'll say this, personally, if finances play a part in anyone deciding whether or not to befriend or date ME, I don't want or need them in my life. Even if we share the same tax bracket and experiences.

I'll date and be friends with a minimum wage Walmart cashier with a bus pass before I'd date/hang with a 6-figure materialistic dude who checks for bank statements and name brand clothing at the door.

ColumbusGuy and alton dapped this.
  8. alton

Squad Leader The Great Debater The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    THANK YOU!!! AGREEEED!!! Wow, we have something in common, Nick. lol

ColumbusGuy dapped this.
  9. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    I wanted to dap that post of his more than once!