Apple v. Android v. Windows

Discussion in 'Gaming and Technology' started by bpaisle, Oct 12, 2015.

1. bpaisle

The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    So me and my colleague had this debate today (it's a debate that we have pretty often actually) about which phone manufacturer and operating ecosystem we prefer. I am a die-hard Apple fan. He has a Droid. I think he has a Samsung Note 4. I've been hooked ever since I got my first iPhone. It's one of those things that you can't really understand until you get one. I've been on both sides. I had a Droid back in the day and I thought it was cool but it didn't compare to my iPhone. I love it because it works seamlessly with my other Apple products. I don't really know much about Windows phone.

Anyone else have a phone they swear by?

Apple-vs.-Android-1024x640.jpg

cypher21 dapped this.
  2. cypher21

cypher21 Deactivated Account
    The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Not looking
    It's interesting that you ask that as I recently made the switch to Apple after primarily using android phones when the 6 plus came out. I wanted a larger screen and everyone goes on and on about Apple so I gave it a chance and I think it's....good. Just good. Not worse than android but certainly not better. Certain features from android os I miss dearly are a real notification bar and better multitasking, better customization, and A BACK BUTTON!!! Lol that was the hardest thing to get used to.

I like my iPhone but when my next upgrade cycle comes I'm going back to android. Honestly it's a personal preference, emojis and iMessage would probably be the only things I'd missed. I also think it really matters how invested you are I a certain ecosystem. I can see why you would stick to one over the other!

#2 cypher21, Oct 12, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
    Kouncelor dapped this.
  3. Infinite_loop

Infinite_loop Is this thing on?
    Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    SGL
    I swear by my iphone 6. I have owned an Android phone, currently own a nexus tablet, and develops or have developed in the past software/apps for all the three platforms(Android, Windows, iOS).

The thing for me is that in terms of reliability, nothing beats the iPhone. This is purely a personal opinion and not based on any empirical research, but I think the iPhone is the Toyota/Honda/Lexus of phones. Android is cool and customizable, but has too many security holes and platform fragmentations that I am not very comfortable with. Windows is cool and plays well with the enterprise ecosystem, but has none of the apps I used and love(although, they are supposed working on it). iOS isn't a saint but it has been the most consistent for me.

bpaisle and ControlledXaos dapped this.
  4. Kouncelor

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I'm an android man... and I'm thinking about a windows tablet. I am kind of a IT guy and sort of a tech head, so apple tends to be way too oversimplified, not customizable enough for me and a trendy toy. As well, Apple is so proprietary. If you get i-this, you have to get the i-that and the i-other thing. I need to be able to truly manipulate configuration and settings to make my phone do what I need it to do. As well, android and windows have programs/applications that are able to operate across platforms.

I had a windows phone in the past.. it was a powerhouse. I was able to manage projects (IT) remotely and no one ever knew I wasn't in the office. Windows Mobile of the past wasn't really for the casual user, but I believe the recent Windows phones brings it into play. The way I see it, android and windows are ideal productivity based activities (IT, major business activities, or facilitating the integration of various software packages). Apple can not compete in that space.

I am with @cypher21

IWBAIA, cypher21 and Infinite_loop dapped this.
  5. SB3

SB3 is a Featured MemberSB3
    Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    'I oooonce, was looost, but nooooow, im foounddddd...'

I had the iphone 5 for a minute b4, but i was always an androider b4 hand. Now, im back to android and i love it!

Especially cus i dont need 'i' every damn thing to use it on my phone!

#5 SB3, Oct 13, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
    bpaisle and Kouncelor dapped this.
  6. bpaisle

Daps Received:

Yeah I have an Apple TV, an iPad and a Macbook so I probably won't leave Apple anytime soon. Its totally about how invested you become in each ecosystem.
    The open-source structure of Android was pretty cool. I definitely miss the customization freedom that Android offered. I think that when it comes to the entire ecosystem of devices and services, Apple works more seamlessly across all of your devices. Mainly this is because Apple makes the hardware and the software, whereas for Android Google makes the software and the tech companies make the hardware. This also poses a problem where upgrading to the new software on Android can be a hassle. There are so many different phone manufacturers that that are all operating with this sort of "one size fits all" operating system. I've actually gotten to the point where I actually prefer the more closed ecosystem.

Infinite_loop and Kouncelor dapped this.
  7. bpaisle

Daps Received:

Tumblr_mawxhmnEOb1ruyug0.gif

Well said my friend lol..I concur!

8. Kouncelor

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:

9. cypher21

The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Not to sell you on android lol but Google is creating new hardware too. The nexus line of phone are owned and created by google and runs pure stock Android. Same thing with chromecast, chromebook pixel, and Motorola is actually owned by Google now so technically the Moto X and anything they make with android is from Google. Of course, they haven't been doing this as long as Apple but they've made strives!

10. Kouncelor

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Still prefer customization that dose not lock me into proprietary hardware or software. I don't need seamless integration, however, there is a strong market for those who do. Similarly. Thete is a stront market for folks like me. :-D

I believe it has become like comparing apples to oranges...both fruit with significantly different properties.

#10 Kouncelor, Oct 13, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  11. bpaisle

Daps Received:
    Yes I know Google makes the Nexus line of phones but I do not know much about those. I tech reviews and I usually try and get feedback from real world users but I do not know anyone that has a Nexus phone. Samsung & HTC seem to own the Android space for the most part. Truthfully, at this point I am not sure that I would even go out on a limb and buy something like a chromecast or chromebook. I have the Apple equivalent and it works great.

12. cypher21

The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Not looking
    [​IMG]

LOL!

13. Infinite_loop

Infinite_loop Is this thing on?
    Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    SGL
    :salute: agreed on being invested on a particular ecosytem. I also have an iphone, macbook, and apple tv. I actually bought an android tablet just because I felt left out and wanted to own one...I mean why not lol. It's pretty useful for casual browsing and reading in bed or checking email at Starbucks.

On that note, I am also heavily invested in:
    * Google Services for anything search or context-related(Now, Maps, Keep....)
    * Microsoft for productivity( Office, Outlook, Wunderlist and Sunrise calendar)
    * Dropbox for cloud services.

Essentially, each of these ecosystems does something really well, more than others further rebuking the saying that I can't have my cake and eat it too. Of course, I can :khart1::foxxxy::camby: lol

14. ControlledXaos

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I rely on Google services a lot. It's platform agnostic but works best with Google native platforms.

I love Google music. I had a ton of music already and custom remixes that I now have uploaded to the cloud. If I want them 'physically' on my hard drive on a new computer, I can just download them back. This has saved about 100gbs of data for me since I don't need every song local. The fact that I can also customize track list using the web app then sync that to my phone is awesome.

Speaking of.... I think with the phones, you get more bang for your buck with Android. I will contend that Apple phones had a much greater advantage when it came to apps, but now that's usually a non issue. Most of the primary apps are on all platforms now... Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, etc. If particular games and Apple apps are one's thing, it's probably best to stick with Apple. Especially if you have a A LOT of iTunes music before Apple took DRM off. Apple still wants me to spend $120 to rebuy tracks I bought before from them to convert to their DRM free format. No thank you.

I'm very interested in the Microsoft Surface. I already have an Xbox One and use Windows 10 now. I was thinking about getting an Macbook Retina because I really need more a laptop with a high res screen and Apple seems to be the only company that consistently does that. I need to see more information that 720p and most PC manufacturers when they do go up to 1600x900, charge about as much as an Macbook Retina refurb which I can dual boot to Windows and MacOS. Though the Surface Book is a serious contender with 3000 x 2000. I don't need a new PC now but when the time comes, I will be weighing the pros and cons between the Macbook Retina and a Surface Book.

I had a Windows phone as a back up phone when I was waiting on my Galaxy Nexus to get fixed. It was pretty good. There were some things that I liked and didn't like. I would say that that Nokia Navigation I used was on point. It was better than Google Maps and had things like letting you know what the speed limit was on the street you were on and if you went over it. It just had a lack of applications. I had the cheapest one you could get. I think the Nokia 520? The camera wasn't that great but I did like that it synced everything to my Onedrive which was pretty cool. I think with the Surface and Windows 10, MS could get people to get on Windows Phone but since none of their phones are 'sexy' or status symbols, it's an uphill battle.

15. G Ron

G Ron Undercover superhero

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    Android all day, baby! I had an iPhone and gave it away- I hated that thing, with it's tiny buttons and simplistic operating system! Phones can do so much- why hold them back? Apple is a cult, I swear! I've always found it weird that, no matter how much you spend on an iPhone, you have the exact same iPhone everyone else has. If I were able to afford a top-of-the-line phone, why would I want the same phone as everyone else? If I can afford a Bentley, I don't want my Bentley looking exactly like, or going just as fast as, the Toyota in the next lane. And, up until I got a Samsung S6 last month, all my Samsung phones had a removable battery and SD card support (of course, Samsung did away with those things for the S6, but I was already hooked).

cypher21 and Kouncelor dapped this.