Bayard & Me

Discussion in 'Movies and Shorts' started by Lancer, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Lancer

Best Thread Creator The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:

The legacy of Bayard Rustin, Martin Luther King Jr.’s right-hand man and organizer of the 1963 March on Washington, was largely forgotten by history because he was openly gay. The moving short is told through the eyes of Rustin’s much younger boyfriend, Walter Naegle, whom Rustin adopted in the 1980s in order to legalize their partnership. It’s a beautiful love letter to this seminal figure, and a compelling reminder of the hard-earned rights LGBTQ people enjoy today.

Winston Smith dapped this.
  2. Lancer

Daps Received:
    It boils my blood when SGL men are ignored from history just because of their sexuality, especially when they are black men. I was looking for Gay movies/documentaries focused on minorities, that's how I found out about Bayard Rustin.

Winston Smith dapped this.
  3. mojoreece

Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    I love Adam Clayton Powell but i hate what he and other black officials tried to/did to Bayard Rustin. It's really a shame black folk just can't get over the SLG thing. Ok u dont agree because of your religion blah blah...... just agree to disagree.

Winston Smith and Lancer dapped this.
  4. Lancer

Daps Received:
    It ALWAYS be your own ppl!!
    [​IMG]

mojoreece dapped this.
  5. Winston Smith

Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Well, first, thanks for posting this @Lancer . I’ve mentioned Rustin in numerous posts here on different topics because his life covered so many areas (civil rights, age-difference and interracial relationships, struggles of gay/bi men before Stonewall).

It may seem like he’s not well represented but it’s better than when I was a kid. For example, my introduction to him was through very hotepish, homophobic lyrics on Last Poets albums. I had taken a shitload of black studies classes at Ohio State before I bought those records and NONE of the black professors even mentioned his existence.

Luckily, President Obama rectified this by honoring Rustin and having his partner, Walter Neagle, at the White House.

Lancer and mojoreece dapped this.