Being SGL In A BGLO.

Discussion in 'Race, Religion, Science and Politics' started by NickAuzenneNOLA, Jan 3, 2016.

?
  1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    76.5%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  1. NickAuzenneNOLA

The Great Debater The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Dating:
    Single

So here's a touchy thing within the subset of the HBCU experience that is the NPHC. As a member of a BGLO (black Greek letter organization) that is bisexual and not a part of the male organizations more associated with accepting SGL folk I have often times felt like the fly on the wall that gets repeatedly smashed. When I joined my organization I was a 19 year old dude that in my second year of undergrad had cultivated an image for myself that made me a popular dude on campus but also very paranoid.

At this time in my life I was finally beginning to understand my sexuality although I hadn't acted on it I knew it was a matter of time and I felt that if I didn't keep up a front people would be able to somehow call out my same gender attractions. So I sought a cocoon, something I could surround myself with and have the protection of brotherhood to deflect any negativity that might come my way if my then secret attraction was realized. That cocoon was my fraternity.

There was an interest meeting for 2 organizations I was interested in joining and being a well liked and known guy I was invited to attend both. Eventually I chose to pursue the org that spoke to who I was and that intake process began. One of the first vetting processes is to subtly weed out any suspected gay pledges and forcing them to drop the line.

It wasnt something spoken of or acknowledged. In fact if you asked anyone a part of any BGLO they would spew out the sane rhetoric about being open to all qualified members and theres no bylaws that say LGBT members can't join so they do not discriminate which everyone knows is a lie and that LGB and sometimes even T people have to slide in under the radar all of the time.

I was one of the lucky ones that couldn't have my sexuality called out and so I wasn't as strictly vetted as those that could and soon the line went from 14 to 9. Eventually after the entire process and the probate and subsequent parties were over I felt a sense of accomplishment. Like maybe I'm not SGL or bisexual and I was just going through a phase. I'm a man now and I do man things I remember thinking.

Around the same time I began learning about well known members of my organization and was convinced I made the right decision by the list of brothers I greatly admired being a part of my bond. On that list was a name at the time I didn't know, Bayard Rustin, but my LB tells me "Yeah he was a fag though so we don't really claim him." and that being a closeted bisexual at the time made me both angry on the inside but also made me want to learn more about him.

I found out how he orchestrated most of the events we now associate with the civil rights movement, he was the right hand man to MLK and helped edit his speeches and logistically made the March on Washington happen by himself. He also was a gay man, a gay man in a gay interracial relationship that was written out of a movement he helped create and he was my fraternity brother and we had even erased him.

That didn't sit right with me, to this day doesn't and even when I'm with my frat brothers and we talk about one of the great men we have come through under I always make it a point to mention that brother.

I eventually started a private LGBT BGLO group with a young lady I had dated but later came out to me and though none of us were out during undergrad there were far more of us then I thought. That made me realize there must be more. At the time there was really no resources to find out but in recent years theres been more and more discussion about it and I thought I'd share this article Gay Men In Black Fraternities as well as a part of my experience with you all.

2. Nigerian Prince

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    I have a gay Nigerian mentor who is one or two years my senior that is an Alpha. He told me a story about how after he crossed that eventually he was with one of line brothers in a room. He let his line brother use his computer and unknowingly his line brother saw his internet website history. His line brother took him into a room of about maybe 5 other Alphas. He had no idea why he was in there. Then they all told him that they were all gay/bi. He was so shocked! As the years went on, he started to meet more Black American and first-generation Africans that were gay/bi and they all look out for each other and have gatherings to support one another. I think that is a beautiful thing.

I was recruited to join Sigma twice and I was asked about interest in becoming an Alpha once. Sometimes I wish I joined but it is still all good though. Everything happens the way it is supposed to happen.

3. Nick Delmacy

Nick Delmacy is a Verified MemberNick Delmacy Da Architect
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    NickAuzenneNOLA and Nigerian Prince dapped this.
  4. grownman

The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
  5. NickAuzenneNOLA

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Dating:
    Single
    Ive heard a smilar story and have met at least one LGBT member on any campus I've ever visited. It's not uncommon and many are delusional if they think so.

Don't regret your choice man it's a lifelong commitment and you should never enter into that haphazardly.

Kouncelor and Nigerian Prince dapped this.
  6. NickAuzenneNOLA

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Dating:
    Single
    What about you Delmacy? Do you know any BGLO SGL folk?

7. Nick Delmacy

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Used to be friends with one. Friends only, never messed around. He was/is a Discreet Bisexual Sigma...who rarely ever dated women from the hookups and sexcapades he told me about in detail.

We were close, or so I thought. Would talk on the phone for hours. Favors for each other, all that. Eventually we spilt apart when I noticed he only wanted to talk on the phone or hang out with me in private or dark places like movie theaters, yet he was always telling me about the parties, events and bars he would go to with his frat brothers. He had me actually second guessing if I was a clockable fem that he was embarrassed to be around. When I asked him out to bars and clubs, he would always be too busy or too tired.

I eventually called him out in it, he got defensive and that was the last we spoke.

2+ years of friendship gone just like that because he feared his Frat brothers would discover that he liked men.

When we were friends, his brothers found out a dude in a different chapter or whatever was gay. They clowned the dude bad amongst themselves. He said he didn't add to it but who knows, he def didn't defend the dude.

I know he is not representative of Greek or Bisexual dudes as a whole, but both of those attributes affected us no longer being friends.

Cyrus-Brooks dapped this.
  8. NickAuzenneNOLA

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Dating:
    Single
    The crazy thing is most every Sigma I've ever met has been gay or bisexual. At least 85% of them! So it's amazing to me that he would do that or his frat brothers would have that reaction when it's quite common for there to be out members in that org and even one of their international presidents was an out gay man. I guess it's one of those situations where you tear down somone to deflect from what you're doing and that's fucked up.

I'm glad you're at least able to separate your personal experience from the groups as a whole. That's progress. Lmao

lilreddude dapped this.
  9. cypher21

cypher21 Deactivated Account
    The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Not looking
    That was a great post Nick er other Nick? Lol whatever! I was very interested in joining a fraternity back in high school when we had a junior Kappa Leauge. Didn't try to join though because most of the guys in it were the uber popular ones and at the time I wasn't very sure of myself and thought I'd be out of place there...my best friend however swears up and down that most of the guys in the League were closeted so maybe I should have...she didn't really have any evidence to suggest this( mostly her own paranoia about gays) but still I wonder sometimes. As an art student at a school with no fraternities I sometimes feel like I missed out on something too but your story has shown me the grass may not always be greener on the other side. If I may ask..how did they "weed out" the gays by asking? Or by just obvious mannerisms??

NickAuzenneNOLA dapped this.
  10. Nick Delmacy

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    He was Haitian, well his family was from Haiti, he was born here in Florida...so that likely played a part in it...As for his friends, they seemed to be the Young Urban Black Professional types, always going to Day Parties and Kickbacks. The heterosexual BlackPeopleMeet crowd.

The charters (or whatever) that he interacted with didn't seem very gay from what he spoke about. Maybe its different from the inside looking out. He always told me that the "gay frat" were the Kappas, the ones with the canes...So I guess perception is everything.

11. NickAuzenneNOLA

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Dating:
    Single
    As you may know the intake process is secretive and different for every organization what I can say is that each potential member is vetted. Yes they are asked many questions during the interview that you are expected to answer honestly however most do not and all things are investigated. If you have a paper trail anywhere and it's found out that you lied you won't be asked to drop the line but you will be more throughly vetted and most cannot take the heat so they do end up leaving.

cypher21 dapped this.
  12. cypher21

cypher21 Deactivated Account
    The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Wow ok I just wondered..we had a strong Omega presence (although we weirdly only had a kappa league lol) at my school (all black high school) and male teachers there highly encouraged us to make that commitment..it is truly that I see!

13. Nick Delmacy

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Why would anyone want to voluntarily do this? Seems like a lot of fuss to join a club full of people you wouldn't voluntarily be friends with otherwise.

14. NickAuzenneNOLA

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Dating:
    Single
    Every "club" as you've said rather it be a fraternity, sorority, bands, social circles, even Cypher Avenue has a certain standard set before you can become a part. I'm almost certain that an extremely effeminate person, drag queen, or transgendered individual would not be welcomed in the decidedly masculine space you've created because they dint align with what your mission for CA is. Also to your point of being around people you wouldnt be friends with, wouldn't you agree that people seek out spaces that align with who they are? Would you say that most of your friends are people you didn't know but upon meeting interacting found that they were cool, what made them cool? their shared similarities and views as you right? It's the same concept. You seek an organization that aligns most with who you are and 9/10 the folks in that org will have commonalities with you and friendships are built that way.

ctforbes dapped this.
  15. Nick Delmacy

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    No. Our standard to entry is not as extreme as the fraternities. You yourself said the "process is secretive and...each potential member is vetted." This is not the case for Cypher Avenue. We don't ask a series of questions before a person can join or leave a comment on the site. If a Transgendered person joined the site today (if they haven't already) we would not ban them, no one here would ridicule them, and we def wouldn't "investigate them" and punish you if you've lied as you said Greek letter organizations do.

16. BlackguyExecutive

BlackguyExecutive Je suis diplomate
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Married
    This all seems rather ridiculous. As a person who has actually been vetted by the United States Government it seems absurd to me that anyone would subject themselves to that kind of unnecessary scrutiny all to be part of some "fraternal order" whose benefits vary from organization to organization. I at least have a national security clearance and a decent job that cannot be said about membership in the Divine 9.

I never really understood the desire to be part of any kind of Greek System. But I was involved with a Morehouse Alpha at one point in my life and his level of paranoia and the ways he evaded being detected would have made him a perfect candidate for the Clandestine Service.

[​IMG]

#16 BlackguyExecutive, Jan 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  17. ControlledXaos

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I don't understand why so many in greek organizations are so focused on who is and who isn't gay. I know or know of several bi, gay, and DL frat boys across all brands of greeks. So I think trying to eliminate gays/bis out of the rankings is pretty much futile.

Which leads me to wonder why these organizations don't want non heterosexual members?

18. Discordant

Squad Leader The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    In undergrad I was approached by both the Kappas and the Alphas, but never really felt a need for the politics of a fraternity all in the name of "brotherhood." Something about the secrecy of the black frats, combined with the elitism and culturally endorsed bias inherent within the system, just never sat right with me. As I've gotten older I've learned that some chapters care more about sexuality than others but from talking to most of the frat guys I know, they created secret fraternities within their fraternities to feel that true "brotherhood" that they supposedly sought. That said, from personal experience, it seems the Kappas and Sigmas have the most openly gay members of various degrees of masculinity.

19. ControlledXaos

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I have also noticed that gay black greeks, regardless of whatever organization they chose, find each other and bond.

Kouncelor dapped this.
  20. BlackExcellence

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    Sigmas are the gayest fraternity no one knows about!

But anyway I am a member of a BGLO and faced intense scrutiny in undergrad over my suspected sexuality. I mean online, afterward and some of those feelings linger to this day. It definitely has caused a wedge between me and my chapter to some extent that has never been healed. For the most part it was older brothers the brothers I went to school with didn't make it a big deal. These days I've connected with other brothers who are gay and it's been a huge relief. I also just don't care as much.

ctforbes and NickAuzenneNOLA dapped this.
  21. KritiKal Analysis

KritiKal Analysis "Be the Standard, Not the Substitute..." DMCureton

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    I belong to a Greek Letter Organization and I have seen in more recent years that there is more an influx of Gay/Bisexual brothers joining. In a world where all of your big brothers flood your head with "Now the real work begins..." after you cross, I have also found that the gays/bisexuals are some of the most hardworking brothers but the ones who are scrutinized much more.

22. NickAuzenneNOLA

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Dating:
    Single
    Exactly! My sexuality was never questioned but when I did come out as bi I knew that my frat brothers would shift up and surprisingly a few came out to me privately and a few stopped communicating with me and majority accepted it and moved on. I realized then that there's a difference between my brother and my fraternity members.

23. KritiKal Analysis

KritiKal Analysis "Be the Standard, Not the Substitute..." DMCureton

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    Exactly Nick. There is a big difference between my brothers (who I call my frat brothers, the ones who give a damn about me, and ones I consistently connect with) and the fraternity members (who are called bruhs/bruhz, and the ones I may know of or just communicate with during conventions/conferences). It's interesting how many of our members have not made the distinction.

24. Kouncelor

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I have spoken to fraternity members young and old (50+). Gays and bisexuals have ALWAYS been part of these organizations. This is nothing new. What is new is that many feel that there is no longer a need to hide it. I am finding a split between members that are just fine with having a gay/bi bro and those who are against it. Most of those who speak out against it do so primarily because of religious belief, fear of being discovered or suspected, an insecurity, or because the brother is public about his sexual orientation.

In my conversations with many individuals from all most all of the fraternities (except Iota.. no offense) I also find that the individuals that actually keep the organizations functioning.. the ones that make things happen, and leaders are "in the life".

Furthermore, there is coming a time where fraternities will have to take an official stance on SGL members and membership. Some already have.