Ben Carson, Disappointment. On the death of admiration.

Discussion in 'Race, Religion, Science and Politics' started by NikR, Mar 11, 2016.

1. NikR

Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    I used to admire Ben Carson. When I started reading his books 20 years ago, I was struck by his story and his faith. I thought he was a good role model- a person deserving of admiration. I was wrong.

Ben Carson is a bigot and a fool. There, I said it. From the avalanche of outrageous statements he makes (improved health care for people who have none/Obamacare="worst thing since slavery", gay="bestiality", etc, etc) I got to sneak a peak into his mind, and all I found was venom. He's also wildly conceited and exercises poor judgment. How else can you possibly decide to end your medical career to run for the presidency with minimal background while surrounding yourself with people who are there just to profit off of your campaign? How else can you stand up, and with your Christian upbringing endorse the profane charlatan Donald Trump? None of these things were the last straw for me though. That came 3 years ago.

My biggest beef with Ben Carson is the monetary policy he supports. In one of his books (one that I couldn't finish), he endorsed a flat tax. And he tried to hide his selfishness by hiding behind Biblical tithing. Flat taxes help people like Ben Carson, and, in 1 or 2 years, people like me. If I make 200K and pay 10% federal tax, it amounts to a massive tax cut for me. It also screws over the rest of society, including my family, who won't make that kind of money. Everyone else though, will struggle to pay rent, their car note, or even afford groceries. If Ben Carson's mother was subjected to a flat tax while young Ben Carson was growing up, the food stamps that he used, the schools he went to, the services that were provided to him- likely wouldn't have been around. Flat taxes make it even harder for other "Ben Carsons" to make it. Unfortunately, I think this is by design. I don't think he really wants anyone else to be like him, unless he's the one giving the scholarship money. He certainly detests the government and specifically brother Barack, since he beat him to being HNIC. What disappoints me most is that Ben Carson has climbed the ladder of success, turned around, and is now trying to pull that ladder up behind him. I hate that. I hate when people with power punch down.

Now, for the 2 people who are still reading I have two other things to say.

The thing that scares me about Ben Carson's remarkable fall from grace is that it can happen to just about anyone. We too can get co-opted by greed, can become selfish, and start punching downwards.

Was I wrong to admire him as a child? I don't think so. I think it's more important that now that I know who he really is, I've cut him loose. At least I know how I'll try to avoid becoming him- remembering where I'm from, remaining politically moderate, drawing inspiration from those directly around me, and most importantly, having someone knock me in my head if I ever, ever decide to run for office.

What about you? Have you ever had to reject a mentor or someone you admire?

BrentForays, Jaa, ColumbusGuy and 3 others dapped this.
  2. alton

Squad Leader The Great Debater The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I'ma be totally honest, and I may sound stupid for this, but I really have been "out of the loop" for quite some years now with my overall disgust of people in general....but I had NO clue who Ben Carson even was, until this Presidential Shit Show started.

I can't say I've had to "reject" any mentors because I've never really had anyone that I've looked up to, aside from my mom, and she hasn't failed me yet. LOL

3. Nick Delmacy

Nick Delmacy is a Verified MemberNick Delmacy Da Architect
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    I never was an admirer of Dr Ben Carson however I always remember seeing/hearing that he was brilliant and inspirational...and that his book was a must read for young black people. I always saw dog-earred copies of it in the "Black Interests" section of every library I went to...Always meant to get around to reading it but never did. So my offical introduction to him was seeing him repeatedly rail against President Obama on Fox News...it always contradicted the praise that so many people had said to me about him.

I've had a couple mentors fall from grace in my eyes. One was a regular fellow student upperclassman from college who later proved to be a bad example to take advice from...the other was a well known personality/profession who I later realized was not very good at his job. I got to see him in action first-hand and was very disappointed.

These are not as bad as the Dr Ben Carson example though...

Tyroc dapped this.
  4. Tyroc

Tyroc Deactivated Account

Daps Received:
    I got one better, last year I thought Dr. Ben Carson and Herman Cain were the same person. If I wasn't black, I might have gotten some flack about that.

NikR and alton dapped this.
  5. alton

Squad Leader The Great Debater The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    LOL!!!!

6. mojoreece

Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Its not only one who were shocked but his colleagues and former students were as well. They said he was always quite and didn't really talk about politics. I guess you can never really know a person.

7. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    carson.png

Dante dapped this.
  8. Dante

Dante https://www.gofundme.com/qv7v5dw
    The Great Debater The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    I remember the days volunteering to help him with his THINK BIG seminars years ago during his tenure as a Neurosurgeon with Johns Hopkins Hospital...***nostalgic***

I've worked around and with a lot of people over the past 14 years that have differences in viewpoints, especially with religion. Their differences didn't necessarily taint their character, because unless we're fucking/dating/in a relationship, I can work with you and know where the buck stops.

He decided to run for President thinking he would filter his viewpoints and beliefs into political change transparent to its epic fail. Unless something involves health and medicine, he needs to have some seats.

mojoreece dapped this.
  9. grownman

The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    I could not have said it better and won't try to.

#9 grownman, Mar 11, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  10. Tyroc

Tyroc Deactivated Account

Daps Received:
    So I guess maybe that explains the blood leaving his head at times!?

11. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    :sass2:

12. NikR

Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    Niiiice, lol ok. I can see why tho- Hermain Cain's "9-9-9" to Ben Carson's "tithe" tax. Also, both are supposed to be very smart (CEO to oh-my-gaawwd-he's-a-brain-surgeon!), and yet sound soooooo dumb. And of course they are black republicans, so regardless of what Theo tells us, they might as well be the same person.

OckyDub dapped this.