Black AIDS Institute Announces 30 Days of HIV Initiative

Discussion in 'Mental, Medical and Sexual Health' started by Winston Smith, May 30, 2017.

1. Winston Smith

Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Excerpt:

The Black AIDS Institute, the only national HIV/AIDS think tank in the U.S. focused exclusively on Black communities, has announced a national, digital community campaign, "30 Days of HIV," which will kick off on May 27, 2017, and conclude on National HIV Testing Day (NHTD), June 27.

The three core elements of the campaign are: an online national community calendar to promote HIV and health-related events serving Black communities, "In the Life," an Instagram storytelling series featuring images of Black, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer (GBTQ) and same-gender-loving (SGL) men that are often erased from the media, and daily actions to mobilize Black communities and those who serve them to end the HIV/AIDS epidemic.

"Even though it is not in the news to the extent it was a few years ago, HIV/AIDS is an ongoing and among some sectors, tragically growing crisis in Black communities," says Phill Wilson, the Institute's President and CEO. "Our house is still on fire and we seem to have become complacent. '30 Days of HIV' is designed to shine a new spotlight on the problem, but more importantly on who we are and what we can do about it, if we focus." According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), in 2015, Black Americans accounted for 45 percent of HIV diagnoses, though they comprise just 12 percent of the population. Young, Black gay men are at greatest risk and stand a 50 percent risk of acquiring HIV during their lifetime. Black women represent 60 percent of new infections among women.

Link to full release below
    Black AIDS Institute Announces "30 Days of HIV" Campaign Leading to National HIV Testing Day

Dante dapped this.
  2. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Given this, there cannot be enough days for a campaign against HIV.

Also, I think people with HIV and the medical profession, etc. need to come clean a bit about living with HIV. In a (very well intentioned) campaign to erase some of the stigma against people living with HIV, I think they have left out of the narrative the difficulties-the different strains, different reactions to drugs, different outcomes, complications and side effects(nearly all drugs have them), how the medications have to be strictly taken/the difficulty in getting medication/the difficulty in getting people to completely comply-depression and existing substance abuse issues can make this difficult, etc. etc. etc.

They say 'it is no different than having diabetes now' and all. Well diabetes kills thousands and thousands of people every year in the US.

You can fully educate and inform without shaming and stigmatizing, it is just more difficult and tricky to do so. But it is better to be really open and honest.

*It is very difficult to get HIV from anyone you are not having sex with or sharing needles with. I have dated guys who were HIV positive, had (safer)sex with guys who were HIV positive, and lived with a guy for a few years who was HIV positive, and even drank out of the same glass as him and shared utensils(yuck) etc.-and this was in the 80's when people were in full panic mode, there was not real treatment, and I did NOT get HIV. If you are not fucking them raw with no condom and no prep, or shooting up with them, they are no threat to anyone.

Winston Smith and Dante dapped this.
  3. Dante

Dante https://www.gofundme.com/qv7v5dw
    The Great Debater The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    I went to one of their 3-Day HIV trainings two weeks ago. This is moreso the organization and CDC's way of collecting data to report moreso than anything else. The organization works with the CDC hand and hand. And just like a lot of health and human service organizations, they are required to provide data to determine epidemical statistics and to help prove grant funding needs.

At the end of the day, I'm here for research and efforts to help with it. However, I'm moreso about the research (and data) to bring forth results and efforts of being proactive to help the community (1) be real about HIV and (2) manage awareness, education and linkage to treatment/care. But I do also want there to be more honest conversations about the growing comfortability of Black MSM and their "PreP is the Cure!" mentality, thus being more bold about PreP and having unprotected sex in clusters as if HIV doesn't exist anymore.

ColumbusGuy and Winston Smith dapped this.