Black History Month

Discussion in 'Race, Religion, Science and Politics' started by bisonboy, Feb 6, 2016.

1. bisonboy

The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    I have always been a big proponent on learning as much as I can about my people. However, when I got to college for some reason it just felt like I didn't have the same zest as much. Now that passion is coming back. Can anyone recommend any good books that they have read lately that have to deal with African American heritage? Fiction/ non-fiction it doesn't particularly matter.

Jdudre dapped this.
  2. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    Book...no but I LOVE THIS HERE dvd set. I'm sure you can stream the vids for free online somewhere. This is an amazing series.

[​IMG]

3. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    I have a history book that has the picture of the woman on the cover. Her name was Delia and it said that pic was taken about 1850 and was part of a set of pictures of slaves and one of the earliest pics taken of slaves. Don't know if that DVD pictured had that info.

4. Sean P

Squad Leader The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    It's cool that you're rediscovering a dormant passion. In no particular order, I would recommend: The Half Has Never Been Told; Black Picket Fences; The Warmth of Other Suns; and The Grace of Silence. If interested, I would also suggest checking out the PBS series Black in Latin America just to compare African-Americans' experiences to other people of African descent in the Americas.

5. grownman

The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Stereotypical:
    The Color Purple-way better than the movie. Also, you get to see the lesbian storyline in more detail. Alice Walker

Invisible Life: This is a open door into a black male who begins to come to terms with his sexuality. E. Lynn Harris

The Fire Next Time: 2 essays written to his 14 yr old nephew about a variety of topics.
    James Baldwin.

You might me be interested in the online book club that @scooter is starting here.

scooter dapped this.
  6. Kouncelor

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I am a major fan of James Baldwin and E. Lynn Harris. So any of they're books would be a great choice.
    Two books not widely talked about by George S. Schuyler are:

• Black Empire: Fictionalized account of Blacks returning to Africa (Garvey) and creating a world power. '' Divided into two parts--Black Internationale: A Story of Black Genius Against the World and Black Empire: An Imaginative Story of a Great New Civilization in Modern Africa
    • Black No More: this satirical work of speculative fiction recounts the consequences of a mysterious scientific process that transforms black people into white
    Let me also add:
    The Wind Done Gone:
    It is written by Alice Randall. It's novel that tells an alternative account of the story in the American novel Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell via life of one of the slaves, Cynara, during the same time period and events.

#6 Kouncelor, Feb 8, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
    scooter dapped this.