Black Racism: Myth (or nah)?

Discussion in 'Group Discussions' started by tigerbreaux, Dec 16, 2015.

1. tigerbreaux

tigerbreaux Polymath In-training
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    So, I've been seeing a lot of chatter on Twitter about Sam's Club black, female CEO making remarks that would be deemed racist. (Here's a link to an article discussing it Sam’s Club CEO called ‘racist’ for remarks on diversity).

Now, I've seen A LOT of shea butter twitter saying that firstly her remarks can't be racist because black people can't be racist. I've heard this quite a few times and this has always given me pause. I can see both sides of the argument, depending on who is speaking and how eloquently they make their point. So I pose the question:

Do you think black people can be racist?

@yahoo.com dapped this.
  2. SB3

SB3 is a Featured MemberSB3
    Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Absolutely. Maybe not when u get all into the technicalities and all that, but at the end of the day, and in the way we always hear blk ppl complaining abt white ppl being racist, then yes.

cypher21 dapped this.
  3. BlackguyExecutive

BlackguyExecutive Je suis diplomate
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Married
    Yes. 100% I know personally some racist ass black people. Well more prejudice than racist but I do think black people can be racist.

cypher21 dapped this.
  4. cypher21

cypher21 Deactivated Account
    The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Not looking
    [​IMG]
    LMAO You sir have earned a loyal fan lol that's the funniest thing I've read all week!

But yes any and every race has the capacity to be racist IMO. I know to some the definition of racism may mean something different but racist as defined by cypher21 and millions of others would agree that racism at its core means discrimination against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior. And yes that is from Google. :p

5. Cyrus-Brooks

Cyrus-Brooks is a Featured MemberCyrus-Brooks The Black Vulcan
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    Black racism is a myth racist white people and white supremacists use to justify their racism and mistreatment of blacks and other nonwhites. Even the most bigoted anti-white black people have no power to negatively impact the lives of whites or anyone else for that matter. As a group white people can effect the lives and outcomes of others usually for the bad. As a group black people can do nothing about their ideas except stew in them. Black people can't be racist because we don't have the power to use our ethnocentric ideas advantage ourselves and disadvantage others like whites or even Asians.

6. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    What Cyrus has already stated...
    100dap

In addition folks can play word semantics and talk about that one uncle who hates white people all they want. Black people can absolutely be biased towards other races but racist...Hell da fuk no...

acessential, mojoreece and Cyrus-Brooks dapped this.
  7. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    Even though I already knew of her non-problematic statement, reading the reaction from some white people was disgusting. The fuckers already have the world and all the wealth but yet that is still not enough. Another example why many black people are bias towards ignorant racist white folks.

SB3 and Cyrus-Brooks dapped this.
  8. Cyrus-Brooks

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    In a Relationship

They also conveniently ignore the fact that we've had formal white male affirmative action in this country for centuries and it still exists even now it's just done through informal means so that there's plausible deniability. White people are full of shit.

Tyroc, OckyDub and SB3 dapped this.
  9. SB3

SB3 is a Featured MemberSB3
    Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    But at the end of the day, isnt it quite simply the semantics at play 99% of the time? While black ppl dont have the power to oppress, how often is that what ppl mean when we say 'racist'?

When a white mom wont let her kid play w the black kid next door, we're complaining about her issue w black ppl, not about her oppressing lil Tyrell.

I get it, technically the answer is no, blks cant be racist. But at the end of the day...

10. ControlledXaos

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Black people can be prejudiced. Every race is to a degree and in different ways and levels.

In America, no other race holds as much political and financial power than whites. And that's wouldn't be a bad thing if white people didn't spend so much time trying to make sure it stays that way with wielding that political and economic power. I think even when the Hispanics out number them, it will be many generations before they could "overtake" them,if ever, financially or politically.

Very few people of color can go through a day without interacting with white people on some level. But many white people can spend all day and never interact with a POC. Not at the McDonald's. Not at the gas station. Not at the gym because there's plenty of towns and rural areas where diversity is just not there and most white people are not ever concerned with if something has diversity or not. Some are but most are not and if there's one POC, that's what diversity is to some of them. Not all white people are like that of course.

Tyroc, OckyDub, Jdudre and 4 others dapped this.
  11. Discordant

Squad Leader The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Blacks can absolutely be racist... It just takes a lot of aligning stars to make it happen. A Black CEO or HR manager is in a position of power and could therefore create, in their organization at least, a racist infrastructure that does indeed oppress non-black people due to their own prejudices. On a large scale, however, the answer is no and I don't think this particular black CEO's comments were racist in the least.

12. Cyrus-Brooks

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    I don't see how the scenario you describe can happen since it takes it takes a whole network of people not just one executive or HR manager to enforce a "black racist" (it tickles me to even say that) policy. Racism is about systems not just individuals.

#12 Cyrus-Brooks, Dec 17, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
    Coltrane, acessential and Jdudre dapped this.
  13. Discordant

Squad Leader The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I specifically said it takes "an alignment of stars" to make it happen, but it is possible lol. Does it happen? No, I don't believe it does and the chances of it happening are slim to none the way the world is currently. Even in majority black countries.

Cyrus-Brooks dapped this.
  14. Jaa

Jaa
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Yeah. If I'm using Webster's definition of racism:
    1. 1: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

2. 2: racial prejudice or discrimination
    then anyone can be racist, but your random racist friend, cousin or neighbor's actions won't meaningfully impact greater society like that of society's gatekeepers, though paired with those of their fellow racists can result in strength in numbers in local politics or keeping certain people out of their neighborhoods and other smaller matters. When the main girl in Dear White People said blacks can't be racist, I wondered if the writer/director was sharing a personal belief or giving her a statement that fit her militant personality.

15. acessential

Squad Leader Best Thread Creator The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    The idea of "black people can't be racist" is a widely accepted concept by well-respected theorists and academics. Walk into any well-respected university course on sociology or American studies and that's one of the first things they teach. It makes sense. People think it's just the hip thing to say, but it's a solid field of study. They would argue the dictionary definition of racism doesn't work partially because it was created by those in power.

Discordant, Cyrus-Brooks and Jaa dapped this.
  16. @yahoo.com

@yahoo.com When the lights get low, I Burn Brighter.
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    when you are in the picture you cant see the frame. the executives who she was meeting with did not realize their was no diversity on their team because they are all the same... there is no need or desire to have someone who thinks differently, has different points of view based on experiences, etc. I applaud her for her actions and comments. Many of these organizations need to wake up. We live in a global, diverse workplace. I personally feel it is time for the workplace to reflect society, which is not all aging white men.

17. @yahoo.com

@yahoo.com When the lights get low, I Burn Brighter.
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    and yes, I do think Black people can be racist... but, unlike whites where nothing was ever done to them by blacks, black people have a guard up and trust issues. We've been fucked over so many times by other people and suffered the greatest atrocity in the history of this country with slavery. Nothing was more calculated and intentional. Unfortunately, many of those systems are still being carried on today, because they were so decisive and pungent.

18. tigerbreaux

tigerbreaux Polymath In-training
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    I really appreciate all the different views in this thread, the people who say black people can't be racist make very good points, and I have 2 followup questions @Cyrus-Brooks @ockydub:

Based on the reasoning and logic you used, blacks by-and-large can't systemically be racist to whites because of the lack of socioeconomic clout, fair enough, but what about are your thoughts on black people who are in positions of power discriminating against their own people? The so-called "uncle Toms"? For example, the remarks Justice Scalia made about affirmative action would be labeled as racist, but what about Clarence Thomas who could very well have the same views? They are both in the same position of power and one would be labeled racist, what about the other? Also someone like Uncle Ruckus from the Boondocks. Granted he's a fictional character, but there are clearly people who share similar sentiments. So, Can Black People be racist against other blacks?

Final thought, lets expand upon this and make it less black and white, because even though those are the first two groups that come to mind when we think of racism, any race of people can be affected. One group that black people arguably have a better socioeconomic standing than is Mexicans/Hispanics. A lot of black people feel that Mexicans have taken the jobs that black people used to do, and at a lower rate, and feel like they should go back to there country. Black people also have the ability to discriminate against Mexicans/Hispanics when it comes to the workforce because blacks are now higher on the proverbial race totem pole. So I ask, Can black people be racist against non-white races, specifically Mexicans/Hispanics?

19. Cyrus-Brooks

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    In a Relationship

There have always been traitors and saboteurs amongst who support and defend white supremacy going back to days of slavery that is nothing new. Also Mexicans and other Hispanic groups tend to be very anti-black which is why darker skinned people and people with African ancestry are at the bottom Latin American societies and in many cases aren't even acknowledged while lighter skinned and white Latinos are at the top. So long story short notice black people can't be racist against Latinos.

20. Boaxy

Boaxy SO FIERCE
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    Yes. But it's usually due to prejudice or being underprivileged or being racist for validated reasons.

So it's not the same racism in most cases, as a white person being racist in my perspective.