Brandy's New Comedy with Blk Gay Accessory

Discussion in 'Television and Web Series' started by OckyDub, Oct 22, 2015.

1. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    How ground breaking...New black comedy introduces another gay fem black male accessory to the female lead.

2. SB3

SB3 is a Featured MemberSB3
    Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Not happy abt that...

Cyrus-Brooks and Nigerian Prince dapped this.
  3. Dreamwalker

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Sticking with old stereotypes is easier and less threatening than making an effort to create a character that's realistic and multidimensional. Of course, I'm pretty sure all the characters will fit this criteria so I won't be watching it anyway.
    [​IMG]

Infinite_loop, Cyrus-Brooks and OckyDub dapped this.
  4. SB3

Daps Received:
    See, blk ppl are always the ones complaining abt the lack of blk programming, but are always the first ones to decide theyre not gonna give something 'blk' a shot before it even happens!

5. PrepNoir

PrepNoir Lurker

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    People say fem guys are more entertaining. I don't think so. The outrageous, maybe. But there are masculine guys who can be outrageous, brash or funny. They don't have to brooding all the time.

6. Dreamwalker

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Exactly

7. OckyDub

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    LOL...I think black folks (like myself) complain about the type and imagery of black programming. It just seems like anything that makes people of color look bad/stereotypical sells. For me the best black shows on TV are Black-ish and Survivors Remorse and you RARELY hear them mentioned among black folk. smh

Infinite_loop and ControlledXaos dapped this.
  8. ControlledXaos

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Thank you @ockydub!

I have an aunt who didn't want to see Blackish because of the title. Totally missing the point. I like that "classic style" sitcoms are on the come back trail but at the same time, I'm not one for typical black gay characters. It's a tired trope that needs to be laid to rest. Forever single, sassy, gays, who go goggly eyes for all the straight characters who come into the main characters life and always say "does he have a brother/one for me /if you don't I will" or the like.

It's like these content creators not have learned or applied anything about gays and how diverse we are in the last 15 years,knowing full well that staff and crew on this show have gays involved.

Dante, SB3 and OckyDub dapped this.
  9. SB3

Daps Received:
    I feel u, and I happen to love and watch both shows. My thing is, the pre-judging, simply because it's blk. We're the only group of ppl who approach a project (by/for/starring/etc) us, w our guns drawn and loaded, ready to shoot.

We've obviously had some terrible shyt starring us over the years, but it's the aprehension and pre conceived dismissal of black viewers that keep execs in a struggle to get shows like blackish and survivors remorse (shows abt regular, relatable black ppl, as opposed to the slave trade n civil rights fight stories that hollywood is obsessed w seeing us regurgitate) greenlit. Ijs

Sage, Jdudre and ControlledXaos dapped this.
  10. OckyDub

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    Completely disagree with this here. Every year there are numerous articles about the new fall line up and which will be the first show to get the axe or which ones will flop.

As far as this Brandy show goes, my issue is with the tired black gay fem character stereotype (which happens to exist in both black and white productions) and not the show.

11. ControlledXaos

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I actually see both sides here. For example, the greeks lost their $#i+ over Sorority Sisters before it even aired. Even though it was a reality show, very few of them actually watched it more than the pilot and after they had all these boycotts. My point is the people were mad prior to airing.

Then there was the slavery comedy. Even if there was some slick thought provoking jokes in the show, people heard "slave" and that was it.

I appreciate Connor's character on How to Get Away With Murder and Jammal on Empire because they show that we are all not trying to be fabulous. Even if Connor started out as a typical, IMO, LA White Gay Male with the hooking up and just looking good and every one knows it attitude, he's actually developed depth. (yes I know the show is based in Pennsylvania)

While it's not fair to say that sassy gay guys shouldn't be on TV but they have been for so long and shown very little character development during that time that it's time to move beyond just that character type.

SB3 dapped this.
  12. SB3

Daps Received:
    I get the issue w the gay dude, def, but this black alarm shyt is crazy to me. The above quote is from a race stand point. Its just like my fav phrase when it comes to gay dating issues; black ppl are too often 'red flag hunting' when it comes to black projects. Just all ready on the ready to find the reason not to fuk w it. It's like, 'oh its abt black ppl, u know its gonna suck..'

Even w Tyler Perry, he gets soo much hate, but his work really isnt hurting anyone. He has a dedicated audience, and I can think of a lot of things that make us look waaay worse than Madea. The problem comes from the fact that Tyler is the ONLY blk voice allowed to be heard. If there were more black content creators getting greenlit, then ppl wouldnt be so pressed about Madea.

But that greenlight, requires support, or in the very least, a chance to let the content speak for itself, instead of being lumped in w 'Homeboys in Outerspace' simply because both feature black ppl.

'Black' cant keep being a 'red flag'.

Nigerian Prince dapped this.
  13. SB3

Daps Received:
    While it's not fair to say that sassy gay guys shouldn't be on TV but they have been for so long and shown very little character development during that time that it's time to move beyond just that character type.[/QUOTE]

Thats the key, the lack of character development! Do u guys remember a few yrs ago when that black female blogger wrote a blog abt how every woman needs to get her 'a gay', n then got dragged? Smh

14. Nigerian Prince

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    LOL how did I miss this thread. Yeah I noticed it for the show when I saw the promo. I love Brandy as an actress and singer and I wanted her to get ANYTHING better than The Game. I will still check out the show to give it a chance. You know in the world of cosmetics that the black gay fem dude is pretty much what is seen a lot of the time so I guess that's why they go with that.

I enjoyed 1st season of Survivor's Remorse! 2nd season is just so-so for me. I told you guys about that on the activity stream back in the day lol.

I just kinda fell off Black-ish. The humor is just... hmmm I don't know but there are hits and misses on that show for me.

15. Dante

Dante https://www.gofundme.com/qv7v5dw
    The Great Debater The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    I will give the show a chance. However, I think that even though it's an effort to help out BET's entertainment lineup, I don't care for it being on that network...ijs. A lot of people have tuned out for the most part, though "Being Mary Jane" may have turned some people came into some BET viewing seats.

I have to agree with Ocky 100%. Feminine gay men do exists under the G in LGBT. And it's not to say that they shouldn't be represented. However, it's so easy for someone to come up with an idea for a movie, web series, show, etc. and give it life and pitch it to a network/broadcast/entertainment company. And with that, someone saying to themselves, " Hey, let's add a gay character" with a mental imagery of what a lot of people (especially anyone that's homophobic/biphobic) think all GAY/BI represents, because that's what society considers or constitutes as gay.

We need more characters/roles that happen to be of a gay/bi person that can erase and give way to letting people see the normality in being gay or bi and to shut that one-sided stereotype down, especially for the sake of the heterosexuals in the world and their perceptions and opinions of us and the stigmas that bind.

16. Naturally10Me

Squad Leader The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    Shits getting old. It's what is expected I assume. Until perception/personas change, the shit will continue. I just think if you gonna go fem, find an attractive one.

17. SB3

Daps Received:
    How many of yall have had ppl (gay and str8) talk to yall about 'gays' w/o even realizing u were on the team??

Exactly!!

Visibility is def key in getting ppl to realize not every gay man is rocking a purse.

While the casting directors CLEARLY know this fact (based on the variety of gay men behind the scenes), a lot of the masses are still not hip to it.

Nigerian Prince dapped this.
  18. Infinite_loop

Infinite_loop Is this thing on?
    Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    SGL
    Agreed. Black-ish is cute, funny, and really gives the image of black people as level-headed and "normal"/everyday middle class.
    Do we really have to always be presented as dichotomies??

19. Freedomblack007

Freedomblack007 One Day We Will All Be Free

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    It's complicated
    I'm not a fan of the fem gay dude since its been done too dam much already over that last 20 years, but I do like brandy. I will give it a shot and see what develops. I do wish that there were more shows that featured gay males in a more masculine light and not just with white husbands????. It is high time that we as black gay men demand to see more characters that represent "ALL OF US" and not just bits and pieces.

20. grownman

The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Yes, I watched the promo yesterday and thought about the site. I am noticing this more and more.