China has actually built an elevated bus that travels above car traffic

Discussion in 'Cars, Vehicles and Bikes' started by OckyDub, Aug 3, 2016.

1. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    [​IMG]

If you’ve ever been surfing through random videos on Facebook or another social media site you’ve probably seen the concept video of that Chinese train/bus hybrid thing that can travel over cars (and over traffic).

But that was just a rendered concept. And, like me, you probably thought that even though it was an amazing idea, it would never actually move past the idea stage.

But China’s proved us wrong.

Today China Xinhua News said that the Transit Elevated Bus (TEB) is not only a real thing, but had its first road test today. It happened in Qinhuangdao City, and consisted of a brake and power consumption test.

The whole thing is powered by electricity, is about 72 feet long and 25 feet wide (so it can span multiple lanes of traffic) and can carry 300 passengers (but future versions could probably be coupled together to carry even more). And, when it’s actually launched and operating, it should hit max speeds of around 40 miles per hour, making it a pretty speedy mode of public transportation.

While this version still isn’t ready for mainstream daily use, it’s pretty amazing to see China actually turn this thing into a reality. And, other countries like Brazil, France, India and Indonesia have reached out about potentially licensing their own versions of the TEB.

DreG dapped this.
  2. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    Mean while back in America
    [​IMG]

jpo, DreG and alton dapped this.
  3. Goodwin

Goodwin Lurker

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    I actually just spent some time reading comments/feedbacks on Chinese websites.

It's only a "concept model" that cannot actually work on real roads. Qinghuangdao local authority says they have no knowledge about this road test. And lots of people have pointed out that this may just be another scam.

OckyDub dapped this.
  4. jpo

jpo
    The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    Scam or not, it points to something larger, referenced by @Ockydub's pothole pic.
    US is left behind when it comes to applying technology to public works issues. I've been watching The Tunnel and it is striking on how easy the train that runs under the English Channel transports cars. Anyone who ever tried using the car train that runs from Lorton, Virginia to Florida knows just how cumbersome that process is.
    When you think about it, there is nothing particularly high tech about either the tunnel itself or the train that transports cars. What is important is that the UK and France mustered the political and financial will, both in the public and private sector - to carry off an unprecedented feat of engineering and then to adapt a train that makes the whole process easy.
    I doubt this is a scam. I do think it will take a lot to bring the concept to fruition. But I don't doubt that the Chinese people, whether official or private initiative, will plunge ahead while we hold back.

OckyDub dapped this.