Cookie Johnson Struggled To Accept Gay Son EJ Coming

Discussion in 'Group Discussions' started by mojoreece, Sep 24, 2016.

1. mojoreece

Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    (video link)
    Super Soul Sunday Exclusive Sneak Peek: Cookie Johnson

Cookie Johnson Tells Oprah She Struggled To Accept Son EJ Coming Out As Gay

Cookie Johnson, wife of basketball great Magic Johnson, opens up to Oprah Winfrey, in a preview clip from an upcoming episode of Super Soul Sunday, about her struggled to accept her son EJ Johnson coming out as gay.

“You’re Christian, you believe in the word, you live by the word. How did you reconcile whatChristianity says about being gay with your loving of your son, and still remaining Christian?” Winfrey asks Johnson.

“That was a very hard thing for me,” she admits. “That was a very, very hard thing for me. I tried everything, but finally I just said to myself, ‘This child is innocent. He was like this when he was a baby. It can’t be wrong. It can’t be wrong.”

“I had to pray about it,” she adds. “This was one of those moments where I had to go directly to God and I prayed…and the answer I got back was love. And He said, ‘I give you all great gifts and the greatest of that gift is love.’ And so, that’s when I knew I could love my son and support him on who he was, and I was okay with it…I made peace with God with it. So I’m good.”

via queerty.com

@yahoo.com and Jdudre dapped this.
  2. mojoreece

Daps Received:
    Im glad she made her peace with god and son but I was a little surprised by this. I had to say wait a minute............
    :khart1::ohhh::patrice::lupe1::nopekid:
    I mean she took her husband back after he cheated on her with multiple women, damn near endangered the life and health of her and soon to be son, who she was pregnant with, almost giving them HIV. I mean after going through all of that stuff publicly but she still stayed married to dude. I would of thought it would be easy to just accept a gay son; since he was HIV negative and healthy. Especially all the stuff she was able to forgive her husband for.

Then I had to think about EJ's type of "gayness". EJ is not just gay he's super gay fem flaming gay. Border line almost transgender. I think that was the elephant Cookie and Oprah was trying to hint at but didn't actually say. I think if he was more like a Kaldrick King type it might be a little more digestible for her. Its interesting how his Dad (Magic) was more easily to accept it then his mom though.

3. LeMignon

LeMignon Your Favorite Nephew
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Yeah, he's super fem... The social pressure to comment on it and even feel negatively towards that is probably very high. I'd even say Will Smith had the same pressure on him when Jaden first started wearing women's clothing.

Jdudre and mojoreece dapped this.
  4. mojoreece

Daps Received:
    I agree she prob was more so embarrassed around her high profile friends trying to say oh hes just in a phase" and stuff.

ControlledXaos dapped this.
  5. jusrawb

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    That is a strong woman because I'm sure she gets criticized a lot from the church about her husband past and her son.

6. mojoreece

Daps Received:
    I think church ppl prob criticized her more for her fem gay son than her husband. Seems like church folk more caring if you stay with your cheating spouse that almost gave you HIV then accepting your gay child. Just hypocrisy if you ask me.
    :nopekid:

7. @yahoo.com

@yahoo.com When the lights get low, I Burn Brighter.
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    Those got damn hypocritical dumb ass Christians. They eff everything up. HTF you read a bible that talks about love and then hate your own child or people who are Gay and not like what this book filled with death and war and sex say you should be like. Get the fuck out of here. They are a walking contradiction.

alton and mojoreece dapped this.
  8. jusrawb

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    Yea I agree, having a fem gay son might be one of the worse if not the worse thing the church knows about you

9. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    I am very glad my parents were never that much into what 'church people' thought. And no parents should ever turn on their child for just being gay-no matter how effeminate that child is or isn't. I will never ever understand how a parent could turn on a child for that. Whenever I hear any gay person talk of being thrown out or disowned by their parents when they came out or were young and gay and could be thrown out(18, etc) it just makes my heart really hurt.

I wonder how many parents(usually because of religion) have disowned their young gay children who have then killed themselves? How many parents have helped in the death of their own child? It is unfathomable, just like those honor killings , etc. And usually over the stupidity of ancient cultural norms or some stupid religious doctrine. I can't smh enough.

10. alton

Squad Leader The Great Debater The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Exactly.....

"I see gre't thangs fuh you......and you turn out ta be a fffffffffaggot"
    upload_2016-9-28_11-16-43.png

mojoreece dapped this.