Cypher Ave Boo Talks about His New Show

Discussion in 'Music and Podcasts' started by OckyDub, Jan 17, 2016.

1. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    [​IMG]
    Donald Glover is back on TV, but he's a long way from (his former) home.

The former Community star created, exec produces and stars in FX's new half-hour comedy Atlanta. The series centers on Earnest "Earn" Marks (Glover) a loner who returns to his hometown of Atlanta to try to make ends meet before being drawn into the rap scene when his cousin suddenly skyrockets to stardom.

"I just always wanted to make Twin Peaks with rappers," Glover joked to reporters Saturday (Jan. 16) at the Television Critics Association winter press tour.

Atlanta marks Glover's return to TV following Community, on which he starred for five seasons. In the time in between, Glover headlined a semi-autobiographical comedy for NBC in 2012 that was never picked up and also launched a successful rap career under the name Childish Gambino.

Glover said he was courted for other projects in the interim, but "I knew they weren't me," he said. "People wanted to make me everything. I think they still do."

Instead, Glover waited to find a way to combine his two artistic passions in Atlanta. "Its kind of the perfect time to make something that I would want to see," he said. Glover pointed specifically to the need in the current era to interact with viewers across multiple platforms like cell phones and computers in addition to on TV. "There's more screens that have to be filled," he continued. It's "the perfect time to combine everything that media kind of is right now."

The result is a series Glover says is deeply personal to him. Instead of a writer's room, the writers of Atlanta convene at Glover's house where they eat together and peruse the Internet together. "I've been keeping them very close and tight and secret because I just want to make sure they're perfect," he said when asked about the scripts of the series.

"Television shows are like novels. You just got to invest in them. The tone of this, its going to take people time to figure out what's going on, which I think is a good thing."

Atlanta premieres this summer on FX.

redsai84, cypher21, grownman and 2 others dapped this.
  2. DreG

DreG is a Featured MemberDreG Art Heaux
    Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    FX has had a lot of really good series such as Louie,the Riches,and Archer so I have a lot of faith in this too.Glover's stand-up was always good so I'm sure in all this time he's been able to write some even greater stuff for this show.

3. cypher21

cypher21 Deactivated Account
    The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Not looking
    My alter ego!

DreG dapped this.
  4. Nick Delmacy

Nick Delmacy is a Verified MemberNick Delmacy Da Architect
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    I'm not totally sold on it yet but I'm def curious to see the show. I'm sure he'll have plenty of handsome hipster black dudes on the show, which I wholeheartedly welcome.

I even bet that my Ex-Boo Chance the Rapper will cameo in at least one episode...I'm over him now though...Him going off on Spike Lee and Chiraq on Twitter without even seeing the film was a huge turnoff. Not to mention that it turns out his father works for the incompetent mayor Rahm Emmanuel, so there were ulterior motives involved.

But Donald "Gambino" Glover is still cool in my book...Loved him basically playing Abed from Community in his small yet weird role in The Martian.

5. redsai84

redsai84 For the night is dark and full of terrors.
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    im going watch to support my dude it would be nice if chance the rapper shows up
    [​IMG]