Dancing and black gay masculine men

Discussion in 'Group Discussions' started by ColumbusGuy, Feb 19, 2016.

1. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Okay, so all of you dripping with testosterone, black gay masculine men...do you/have you/did you used to dance? As in a gay club or at an event, with friends or family. If so, tell about it. If not, why not?

I used to love dancing at clubs. I did not care what people thought and get a few drinks in me(or sometimes with no drinks at all) I would get out and dance. I would dance for hours and be soaked with sweat, and it felt good! I would get tired of standing against the wall with my Budlight and I would just do it.

I usually went to clubs that were more 'masc leaning' anyway so most of the guys just looked like regular guys dancing with eachother, jeans and t shirts, no flowing boas or sequins or pink tube tops with gold pleather capri pants! lol

Are things different now? Is there a cultural thing? It seems like any site I am on if black men are dancing and I make the mistake of looking at the comments, it seems the words 'sus' or 'suspect' or even 'he gay as fuk' seem to make an appearance. Point in case, Odell Beckham Jr.

2. alton

Squad Leader The Great Debater The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    LOL I actually danced a lot MORE before I got into the gay scene. Back in the day when me and my str8 friends would go out I thought NOTHING of dancin'. I would be on the floor from the second we walked in until the second it was time to leave (with multiple drink breaks throughout, of course). But once I got involved with "All this Gay Mess LOL" and realized how catty and judgmental gay (especially black) men are with one another, I slowly fell out of it. Now, you'de be hard pressed to even get me to do a two step, let alone actual let loose and dance. smh I miss it, tho.

Cyrus-Brooks and ColumbusGuy dapped this.
  3. redsai84

redsai84 For the night is dark and full of terrors.
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    nah i dont dance was blessed with two left feet. i am sometimes force to danced at cook outs with fam tho. i like to watch other ppl dance but its not my thing.

Champagne Papi and ColumbusGuy dapped this.
  4. ControlledXaos

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I used to dance a lot as a kid/teen. I used to take a hip hop class for fitness. I taught a few classes one summer.

I am not a pro dancer but I looked ok I guess.

Not one for dancing with dudes and grinding but I would dance by myself. Only rarely had folks join in. I like the way the music video dancers look with choreography versus when everybody is in the club is stanky legging, nae naeing, and smurfing.

The last times I have been to a club or gay event I only watched others.

ColumbusGuy dapped this.
  5. Jaa

Jaa
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I never really danced. I was very self-conscious for most of my life and wanted to attract as little attention as possible. I almost never go to parties or places featuring dancing.

The Odell Beckham thing may relate to his image or the ways he casually dances with men for fun. Black culture definitely appreciates dancing, at least in certain forms. Lots of girls and guys still like Chris Brown despite his anger management issues. Crowds gather and cheer when street dancers perform. I don't think people suspect Kid 'n' Play when they dance in "House Party" but that was 1990, prior to widespread Internet and the down low sensation. Maybe conservatives aren't used to guys bustin' a move with their boys.

[​IMG]

Cyrus-Brooks and ColumbusGuy dapped this.
  6. SB3

SB3 is a Featured MemberSB3
    Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    My mom always talked abt us being at a family friend's wedding reception when I was abt 12, n how while I was killin em on the dance floor, (unbeknownst to me) ppl started backing up to watch me and were asking each other 'who is this kid'. She didn't claim me, n just played humble. Eventually someone who knew me ratted me out to the on lookers. N I still remember the gold steve harvey suit I had on. But I digress...lol

I dance professionally, so it's nothin for me to dance in the club when I feel like it.

I blame 90s hip hop for the apprehension to dancing. It became uncool to do anything but be a thug n lean on the wall. I feel like this younger generation is coming back around tho. Yall see Drake out here hotline blingin lol.

7. DFW Brutha

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
  8. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    I don't think I have seen anything quite like this. He is having his fun though.

DFW Brutha dapped this.
  9. Cyrus-Brooks

Cyrus-Brooks is a Featured MemberCyrus-Brooks The Black Vulcan
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    Of course masculine gay black men dance. Dancing is part of the African/Black tradition. I'm not that good of a dancer but once I've had a few drinks all bets are off. That said there are some dances that will make call one's masculinity into question. If I see a dude twerkin, doing the booty pop, or voguing that's someone I'll make an effort to avoid.

SB3 and ControlledXaos dapped this.
  10. Lancer

Best Thread Creator The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    When I go to Straight or Gay clubs I dance the HELL out!!! That is the main reason I go, is to dance. I might see a girl that is killing it on the dance floor and I join forces with her, politely asking her first. I dislike just standing on the wall and just watching,why would I pay money and buy a drink to do that!?!
    I recently was at one of 'WE circuit' parties and I danced my ass off, sweat dripping all over took a little break and was back at it. I am no 'Mr Hot Stepper' murdering the dance floor, just there to have a good time and then bounce, sweat and all.
    [​IMG]

ctforbes and ColumbusGuy dapped this.
  11. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Well there are some guys who responded who don't, including reasons such as shyness, two left feet, or 'catty gays' judging and I did mention family gatherings and clubs. Actually there is a whole range of responses from no to hell yes.
    I was kind of wondering if their might be a 'dancing is for femme men' or something like that-I have heard that from white masc gays who would not get on a dance floor.

Also I understand what you are saying about tradition, but is a black gay guy dancing in a gay bar with other gay guys to relatively modern dance music an African/Black tradition? There is a little more to it given the question and given that I did mention gay clubs as well as other times, don't you think?

If dudes have nice @sses I don't care if they are masculine or not-they should shake that @ss on the dance floor. Maybe not full on twerking but still.

If they are on the dance floor voguing.......uh...not so much I agree on that. I never did understand the appeal of that.

Also I admit I really can't dance worth shyt, but I never cared. If someone does not like it, they can get over it or die with it.

12. SB3

Daps Received:
    This is ______ shaming!

13. SB3

Daps Received:
    Maybe 2 summers ago, this dude tried me at my sis' bday party, n i had to break his ankles n crack his face, well before i was drunk enough to care to act like i didnt have home training on him.

alton dapped this.
  14. DFW Brutha

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    That's what I love about that GIF. The dude is having the time of his life getting into his own groove. I'd rather party with him versus the preening/prancing stand-and-model types nobody is checking for.

15. DFW Brutha

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    Nah, he's having fun and I love it!

16. SB3

Daps Received:
    Nah, I was being sarcastic man. You see I left it blank lol

17. Champagne Papi

Champagne Papi is a Featured MemberChampagne Papi side-n*gga paralegal
    Most Comedic Player The 1000 Daps Club Best Gifs

Daps Received:
    I was going to say the same thing. Although I don't have two left feet, the only times I do dance are at cookouts, family reunions or weddings.

I'm not much of a clubber, but the times I do go, I'll only be on the dance floor if I hear "CASH MONEY TAKING OVER FOR THE 99 AND 2000s"....I gotta get me a gal before they are all partnered up.
    [​IMG]

redsai84 dapped this.
  18. Champagne Papi

Daps Received:
    ....I NEED TO SEE EVIDENCE OF THIS....PLEASE!
    ....when will my mans teach me those moves?!
    [​IMG]

SB3 dapped this.
  19. Champagne Papi

Daps Received:
    [​IMG]