Dark Phoenix - Official Trailer

Discussion in 'Movies and Shorts' started by OckyDub, Sep 27, 2018.

1. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    It pains me to even post this trailer. :birdman2::martin:

2. Duke_Skywalker

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Dating:
    Single
    The film looks too similar to Last Stand. I was hoping for a dope ass trailer to combat some of the negative attention the film had been getting earlier in the year. The trailer is missing... well idk what it’s missing, it’s too dry! I’m disappointed bro. I’ll try to stay optimistic!

Yoo! So can we get an comic book accurate X-Men movie for once or at least one that gives us those X-Men: The Animated Series vibes. *Emails Kevin Feige*
    Dassit!

Lancer dapped this.
  3. Lancer

Best Thread Creator The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    When I saw this my first time reaction to anything Xmen was, Mehhh!
    I think homegirl, Sofie Turner, has a variant of that 'stiffness' the guy from 'Arrow' series has. I was happy to see Jessica Chastain, though. She can act!

Duke_Skywalker dapped this.
  4. Cyrus-Brooks

Cyrus-Brooks is a Featured MemberCyrus-Brooks The Black Vulcan
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    The release date has been pushed back yet again which isn't a good sign. The trailer doesn't make me hopeful or excited either.

Duke_Skywalker dapped this.
  5. Winston Smith

Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Ugh I remember when John Byrne wrote and drew that storyline when I was a kid and read X-men. I’ll always compare any adaptations to the original
    [​IMG]

alton dapped this.
  6. alton

Squad Leader The Great Debater The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    This movie is headin the same direction as 'Queen of the Damned'. Dark Phoenix storyline (if you feed off the comics) is WAY too involved for the current Marvel staff.

Winston Smith dapped this.
  7. Winston Smith

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Yeah I tried to get back into comics when I started illustrating again a few years ago, but just am not impressed. John Byrne was an influence and a favorite. I loved his clean line inking style as a kid (in the pre-desktop PC Adobe Illustrator age) and the storylines he came up with; basically the whole franchise took off with Byrne’s 80s work.

Today it just all seems like comics are just “loss leader” product to feed the Disney-Marvel movie machine. I wonder if many of these Marvel people even enjoy the act of writing or drawing.

alton dapped this.
  8. alton

Squad Leader The Great Debater The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Yeah, I gave up on comics back when I was in the military once I noticed that they didnt appear to be colored by human hands anymore. Little by little the "art" was being sucked out of the art. I haven't even picked up a comic in almost 20yrs, and mind you, I had dreams of workin for Marvel when I was in school (back before I realized you had to be one of two races in order to get into that world).

Winston Smith dapped this.
  9. Winston Smith

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    You’re definitely right about “the art being sucked out.” Everything now looks like it was done by the same robot using Clip Studio. A true artist has an instantly recognizable style that makes you say, “Oh, that’s so and so’s work.”

It used to be that you could instantly recognize a comic artist by their lines, pencils, and inks. You didn’t even need to read a credit box to know who drew what, you instantly recognized a Jack Kirby (my fave), John Buscema, George Perez, Neal Adams, Gene Colan, etc. Even the dudes in my age group had distinctive styles. For example, much as people shit on Rob Liefeld, at last I know his work when I see it.

Getting back to the original subject, the reason modern XMen comics took off was because they ditched the old and reinvented the whole comic in the late 70s, introducing all new characters and plots while keeping Jean Grey, Cyclops, and Prof X as an anchor and tie between old and new. The film franchise just seems stuck in reboot loop, I.e. new actors same old characters, nothing daring. Hell, even Archie Comics told their artists to just make up new shit, which is how they transformed from corny supermarket checkout kid comics to a whole new Millenial franchise. Marvel should take a cue from Archie folks.
    How the co-CEO of Archie Comics reinvented its namesake