Do you believe in Alpha Males?

Discussion in 'Group Discussions' started by hannibal, Apr 25, 2017.

1. hannibal

Most Comedic Player Squad Leader The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Do you think some men are naturally alpha males or do you think anyone can be an alpha male depending on point in time?

2. BlackguyExecutive

BlackguyExecutive Je suis diplomate
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Married
    I think the term alpha male is most definitely situational and unlike wolf packs, alpha males can quickly be turned into beta with a small change in the situational dynamic. I will use my own experience, I work with senior leaders in government where rank and protocol matter. It is easy for me to enter a space as the alpha male because I carry the weight of our government but that quickly changes when someone enters the space that outranks me or anytime an Ambassador enters the room. Boom, I take my place as a beta. The same can be attributed to men in the regular world, you may be the alpha one minute and beta the next.

Men don't have a total monopoly on the alpha status I don't think that position necessarily has a gender or can be gendered.

#2 BlackguyExecutive, Apr 25, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  3. Winston Smith

Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    That's an interesting subject. There may be psychological and biological aspects to "alpha maleness", i.e. the dominant male in a given group of males, but I wonder how much is natural and and how much is social deference (males letting other males take lead not out of weakness, but because they don't want to be bothered/burdened with leadership roles.

Using geek references, one might be a natural alpha but let some other dude think he's the alpha; for example, Kirk and Spock. Kirk is the assumed alpha, but Trekkers know that Spock is actually the smartest and physically strongest dude on the Enterprise. He just didn't give a fuck about being "the leader", he can take it or leave it. And can you be an alpha male if there are no other males or you're a loner? (Logan/Wolverine types). What's the dif between masculine and alpha? I would think they aren't the same. Even given a group of stereotypical fems at a brunch, one of them is probably the alpha in the group for whatever reason.

mojoreece and Jdudre dapped this.
  4. hannibal

Most Comedic Player Squad Leader The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I think people think masculinity and alpha maleness go hand in hand, but that's not the case.

5. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    Yes and Yes to your questions.

Champagne Papi and ColumbusGuy dapped this.