Do You Give Compliments To Men (whether you know they are gay or not)?

Discussion in 'Group Discussions' started by Nick Delmacy, Jun 6, 2021.

1. Nick Delmacy

Nick Delmacy is a Verified MemberNick Delmacy Da Architect
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking

Of course, the main compliments men freely give each other are the most general and clichéd:

"I see you, my brother!"

"I'm try'na get like you!!!"

"My man looking clean, I see you!"

But these are generic and don't have the same impact as a specific comment about their attire, appearance or some other trait that makes them stand out.

I feel like this is less of an issue for gay/bisexual men, but do you give compliments to men whether you know their sexuality or not?

Straight male family members? Straight male friends? Male strangers out in public?

Winston Smith dapped this.
  2. Winston Smith

Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    I do it all the time. It's not a sexual orientation thing, it's about building community and being secure in one's own self that you can recognize and exclaim talent and excellence in others.

mojoreece dapped this.
  3. acessential

Squad Leader Best Thread Creator The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I'll give compliments, but they're usually general like the ones you listed above. Or if it's something specific, it's never about their looks specifically. I'll say something like, "Hey, I like that suit." I couldn't imagine being more direct. It just feels odd to me.

4. mojoreece

Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    For me I ask: "Hey Brother, I like those shoes/shirt where did you get them/it." With men the biggest thing is just don't be weird. Let it come off natural, keep it short, n simple. If a conversation comes after, cool but don't push it.

100dap

Franky, LeMignon, I-Stay-Woke and 2 others dapped this.
  5. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    I do

Winston Smith dapped this.
  6. LeMignon

LeMignon Your Favorite Nephew
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I definitely use compliments.

1. To Flirt (You have a beautiful body. You must work out, right? / Wow, I love your beard! How long did it take to grow it out? I can tell you take care of yourself)

2. To Start a conversation with someone I do not know/ potentially make a new friend (I really like your shirt! You ready to pull em tonight, huh?)

3. To get information (You gave a great presentation. I'm new in this industry. How long have you been working in it? / Would you be open to working with me on so and so?)

Compliments are lowkey my go-to weapon in socializing and even pursuing men. I even use them on women. And I'm very genuine when I give them.

7. Mendizi

Mendizi Squad Member

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    I gave a comment to a hetrosexual friend of mine online. I did the "don't take this the wqrong way but you seem to have been working out and you are in good shape and look fit". His comment was "lol. Thanks". He knows I am gay and is fine. The next thing you know, the rest of his friends (all straight) said the same thing lol. I could have cried lol!. His comments were sweet and his friends seem to have felt more comfortable that I had said it.

LeMignon and mojoreece dapped this.
  8. Jai

Jai Being strong minded.
    The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Asexual
    Dating:
    Single
    I don't think so to my knowledge but I think I have handed out compliments before. If you look good to me, you look good and I will look but I don't be paying people that much attention most of the time, lol.

I did tell a guy at the gym the other day he looks like he's trimming up.

I'm more likely to take notes than pass out compliments unless I really like/admire you.

mojoreece dapped this.
  9. Franky

Franky Dreamer by day, Dreamer by night

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Dating:
    Single
    This really resonates with me for sure. Cool unique shirts and fly kicks are the two main things that I compliment other dudes on. For me, it's a natural organic reaction to seeing some fly gear that I'm interested in finding out where he got it from which is always a great ice breaker (and yes, I've gotten a few dates this way). However, I've never gone balls to the wall and complimented a straight dude on his good looks or body.

mojoreece dapped this.