Best Posts in Thread: Do You Share Your Black Gay Relationship on Social Media?

1. acessential

Squad Leader Best Thread Creator The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I’m mixed on this. I do feel that both gay and straight couples sometimes share idealized images of their relationship on social media for fame and/or to cover up deficiencies in their relationship. But I don’t think this is always the case.

For me, I do sometimes share my relationship on social media. He’s part of my life, so I don’t feel the need to hide that aspect. My Instagram and Facebook are both private though, so these images are generally for folks on my friend/follower list as opposed to the wider public.

My partner, on the other hand, very rarely uses social media. No instagram and almost never posts on Facebook. He’s changed his profile picture twice in the past 12 years.

With that said, I do think it’s important to see images of black gay couples. And I’m not gonna lie, I like seeing them. It’s comforting and it forces white folks and straight people to confront it head on. And it helps other black gay men. So many black gay men are afraid to post anything on social media due to shame or fear of negative repercussions. It’s good to know you’re not alone.

2. RolandG

Bae Material Squad Leader The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    It's complicated
    Hell naw I wouldn't. Like the meme reads, people flaunt their relationships when it's good and then want privacy when it crashes. I just believe that posting your relationship in such a direct and exploitative manner invites criticism figuratively and literally. I've witnessed several couples bickering with people who post negative comments under Instagram entries. Yes, we can all live by the mantra of if you can't say anything nice....but the internet is a whole different beast. This goes for straight and gay couples.

It amazes me the amount of adrenaline people get by receiving adulation around nothing but their relationship. They aren't being commended for discovering a COVID-19 vaccine or starting a non-profit to feed the homeless. They're receiving an ego boost about how sexy they are as a couple and this can be a retardant on a relationship.

Last, there are celebrities that go out of their way not to publicize their relationships/marriages in such an exploitative way. I think back to how Jennifer Lopez used to flaunt all over her relationships until they flamed out. She learned for a while. Hell, most people don't even know Dolly Parton has been married for decades cause you never see her husband. LOL But I guarantee no one is in her business or getting involved in her marriage as a result.

I've always been a private person. I haven't had social media up until now and don't think I will. I would be too protective of a relationship to invite public comments. Besides, when you brag about something and flaunt it too much, somebody else bound to try and come and get it. Ever heard of sliding in DMs?