Do You Take Truvada / PrEP?

Discussion in 'LGBT News and Events' started by OckyDub, Sep 2, 2016.

1. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    *Do you take Truvada/PrEP?
    *What are the cost or how do you pay for it?
    *Have you experienced and side effects or complications?
    *Has it caused you to increase your sexual activities?
    *What do you think can be done to get more men of color to take it?

[​IMG]

2. SwagJack

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    Taking a wait and see approach, personally. I used to get tested regularly and would always use protection when I was runnin them streets, so that was my badge of honor and saving grace for a hot minute. But since I've decided to completely cease my sexual activity that would put me at the slightest risk a few years ago, I really have no reason to take Truvada. Plus I'm kinda wary of it. The elixir implications. The long term effects that may or may not be an issue. Besides, this self imposed desert island ain't so bad. But every time the wind blows...

alton and Winston Smith dapped this.
  3. hannibal

Most Comedic Player Squad Leader The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I will say this. I know plenty of people on prep and they suddenly just tossed out condoms altogether. This is problematic because there's more than just HIV out there. There's some shit that will put a rash on your hands and feet and make your junk fall off. PREP doesn't prevent none of those.

cuspofbeauty, alton, OckyDub and 2 others dapped this.
  4. ControlledXaos

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    *Do you take Truvada/PrEP?

Yes.

*What are the cost or how do you pay for it?

Free from my online pharmacy through insurance or $35.00 for local pickup.

*Have you experienced and side effects or complications?

No. I didn't feel nausea or lose a little weight which are side effects that are common during the first week.

*Has it caused you to increase your sexual activities?

Has not changed anything for me. However I wasn't "out there" like that anyway. Condoms every time.

*What do you think can be done to get more men of color to take it?

Most people can get an rx pretty easily. The cost is affordable through insurance and many people can get it for free via different programs so cost isn't the issue I think. Many people just don't know enough about it. I think the people who are worried about side affects and long term... A lot of that is again not knowing because some of those same people would have no problem taking a weight loss pill at least in conversations that I have had.

I think the best approach would just be grassroots. Knowing someone who takes it and having them share their experiences. I don't think a campaign is going to increase adoption rates.

Also I think it's important for people to know that when they take it, it isn't blanket protection for every STD. This is critical. Even though you get tested for STDs before they give you the rx (well I was), you can't just use that as a get out of jail free card. Maybe I just have a good good doctor? However I did my own research for a good month before I even set up an appointment so I knew a lot going in.

cuspofbeauty and Winston Smith dapped this.
  5. Jaa

Jaa
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I don't take it but was asked if I knew about it at a free STD testing clinic a few months ago. I think they said they're beginning to inform women about it too. I think I saw some female-targeted pamphlets mentioning PReP at a barbershop in the back on a shelf.

#5 Jaa, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016