Does Anyone Celebrate Valentine's Day?

Discussion in 'Group Discussions' started by Jaa, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Jaa

Jaa
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    [​IMG]
    I don't like forced consumerism. If I could, I would consider abolishing Christmas gift giving. However, I generally participate to some minor extent if I know it makes someone feel good, like giving my mother flowers or a card. I've never been with anyone on Valentine's Day and, if I had, would prefer someone who doesn't care about the "occasion", but if they were into it maybe we could switch up our routine a little bit or something (though I'd prefer going out to eat on another day to avoid crowds). I don't want to make or receive extravagant or expensive displays of affection. It can be gratifying to make small gestures that show you really understand a person, but I could do those at any time of year.

Are you doing anything or have you done anything in the past?

#1 Jaa, Feb 11, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
    Tyroc and Sean P dapped this.
  2. Sean P

Squad Leader The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    I'm with you on this. For Christmas, I would prefer to give gifts to the younger kids and my parents (My parents formed the foundation of who I am today and what I have achieved. Sappy but true...). As for Valentine's Day, I would prefer to do something low-key (e.g. a picnic outside). I don't need the calendar or Hallmark to tell me when to celebrate my relationship (if I had one)… I would prefer to share special moments throughout the year.

bisonboy and Jaa dapped this.
  3. Jai

Jai Being strong minded.
    The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Asexual
    Dating:
    Single
    Lord no. I grew up with the holidays and when I was old enough to study Judaism I didn't participate in any "holidays". After Judaism I just considered myself a spiritual person and I never picked up any of the common holidays again.

This year Ive being paying close attention to others and their lovers for some reason. Perhaps its not because of the holiday but more of with someone I could connect with. Valentines Day is something I kind of raise an eyebrow at but its interesting to see people scramble for candy and stuffed animals at the last minute.

Last year I was in for a treat when I was at Wally World when I saw the two guys ahead of me in line trying to play off the fact they were buying lube & condoms.

"Do yoy like this?" turned into...."Are you sure that's what she wanted?" when they saw me looking at them with my eyebrow raised.

I wonder how many members are doing something...Most seem so lovey dovey.

Jaa dapped this.
  4. Jaa

Jaa
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Many also seem single, but some are taken. I might briefly take a trip back to 2006/7 and check out a couple of episodes of the Flavor of Love/Rock of Love/I Love New York marathons on VH1 this weekend.

SB3 dapped this.
  5. TheEdge

Squad Leader The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    I dont really care about it... but it has seemed kinda important to the people i have dated and so i have participated. These people got me nice gifts too so cant complain

Jaa dapped this.
  6. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    I will admit that I enjoyed the holiday-when I was in a relationship. But now, given what has happened, I pretty much hate holidays as they just remind me of what I have lost and bring back memories that are painful now.

Sweetest day, Valentines day, etc. are just a smack in the face reminder that I am alone now and only half of what had been a whole. At other times I can be glad for what I had. At these times I am just sad about what was and what will never be again.

Jaa dapped this.
  7. alton

Squad Leader The Great Debater The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    F#$K......NO.
    [​IMG]

Jaa dapped this.
  8. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    I've been in a relationship for awhile and I'm glad we have never celebrated Valentine's Day. I think I have twice in my adult life received something for this day. I'm glad most kats I've dated really didn't care.
    [​IMG]

9. cypher21

cypher21 Deactivated Account
    The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Not looking
    I don't think it's wrong if a couple wanted to celebrate Valentine's Day, it's their right and the idea of celebrating love is a good idea despite all the materialism. Face it the whole damn world is and has been materialistic for a very long time so I see no point in bringing it up every year, of course it's materialistic...weddings, birthdays all celebrations are commercialized either you get over it and focus on the original purpose for said holiday or you don't. It's that simple.

You love your spouse/boyfriend/lover or you don't. We do anything for those we love so it only natural to want to give gifts....nothing wrong with gifts that come from the heart and those aren't that difficult to provide. Do something you know that'll like, or make something yourself..something you worked hard on... I always wanted to cook my Valentine a big dinner of his favorites after he getting home and do little things be just a bit more sweeter or thoughtful then normal. People say "Oh you shouldn't celebrate your love just one day out the year I do it everyday" but that's not the point. Valentine's Day is supposed to be the day you take that extra mile...realistically you can't (and would not) do every other day. Everyday cannot be Valentine's Day...

I don't celebrate Valentines Day because I bitterly have no one to spend it with and I have no qualms about admitting that. Every year I watch other people get together and share in affection and celebration and I wonder if I'll ever know what that's like. It's a shitty holiday really...who's idea was it to have it in winter anyway? You're already cold and lonely, so to add to that let's remind all the lonely people of their loneliness...if I ever did celebrate it I would just keep it between me and him, we would go away somewhere and spend that time together..

bisonboy and Jaa dapped this.
  10. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    For most of us(single/no guy), we do have someone we should celebrate Valentines Day with:

JNH412 and Tyroc dapped this.
  11. Jaa

Jaa
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Heh. That's understandable but sounds like glass half empty thinking, though I do think that capitalism and societal competition often try to sadden people and push them toward wanting certain experiences, both consciously and subconsciously. Most holidays or special occasions are meant to celebrate rather than put people down, but those excluded often feel left out.

People often have crises when they see all their friends getting married and having kids while still single. A poor or orphaned kid probably feels weird when wealthier classmates (or similar ones whose parents will accept debt to keep up appearances or make children happy) discuss the expensive gifts they received for Christmas or birthdays. Those left alone on Thanksgiving sometimes feel lonely. Winter is packed with holidays but often leaves the lonely feeling down.

The effect is probably multiplied because business capitalizes on special events and encourages people to celebrate lavishly and conspicuously. And it's easier to encounter these displays with social media. But since you're into it, someday when you're cuddling with a guy on V-Day, falling asleep in each other's arms after enjoying that big, itis-inducing dinner, you may think of it as a good opportunity to forget about the cold outside and do something special.

#11 Jaa, Feb 13, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  12. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    *Me going to spa tomorrow*

Me: Ok. I Want the full treatment. manicure, massage, mudbath, kelpcovering, the works.
    Them: Ok.
    Me: But only for my right hand.
    Them: What?
    Me: I said only for my right hand.
    Them: Uh...um...ok..*looks at me like I am nuts*

JNH412, bisonboy, ControlledXaos and 2 others dapped this.
  13. Tyroc

Tyroc Deactivated Account

Daps Received:
    "I've always had a valentine since I was 12!"
    I said these words many years ago to a former friend and yeah boy did karmic Cupid snatch his arrow's back!
    When I was in a relationship, it wasn't a huge deal. Maybe a trip but always a card and dinner.
    It was just like @cypher21 said
    Even though I have no more Valentine for myself, I have a good rapport with the ladies on my job because I make sure to go that extra mile and give them a little piece of chocolate and a Happy Valentine's day wish, it always brings out the biggest smiles and little girlie voices.
    To the fella's, I wish them Happy VD! If we're close I'll give them a condom with the Happy VD wishes.

bisonboy, ControlledXaos, Sean P and 3 others dapped this.
  14. cypher21

cypher21 Deactivated Account
    The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Not looking
    That's true but with or without businesses those lacking will go on lacking or not. I don't know the future. Holidays are not perfect ideas, society will always exclude one group or the other.I am sympathetic to the plight of others, like I said, IF I ever had someone to celebrate it with it would be done in a way to minimize that exclusion.... Some people volunteer time during the holidays great...good for everyone involved..The glass is half empty by all accounts it doesn't matter anymore just thought I'd share.

#14 cypher21, Feb 13, 2016
    Jaa dapped this.
  15. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Happy VD? Those two words might be words best left spelled out and not just abbreviated with the first two letters LOL!

Nice of you though to think of others and do those little things.

Jaa and Tyroc dapped this.
  16. Tyroc

Daps Received:
    Gratitude!

I work with the straight equivalents of myself and that means no sincere public expressions of affection towards another male, EVER!
    IMG_2774.GIF

If there are, they must be said in the most sarcastic or ironic form possible!
    Inglourious Basterds - shoulder shrug whatevs.GIF

Kinda like a man hug, pulled in and slapped on the back with force to show that this affection is aggressive and forced!
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-11862-1416241328-16-1.gif

17. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    VD =

Military-VD-Posters-featured.jpg

JNH412 dapped this.
  18. OckyDub

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    Society...(as with a lot of frivolous things) will make you think..."if you are not apart or participating, then something is wrong."

Think about it...folks sad because this Sunday as opposed to last Sunday is some how more important and has more value. This is nuts. Group Think is real and to me in instances like this hurts more then helps.

#18 OckyDub, Feb 13, 2016
    ControlledXaos and cypher21 dapped this.
  19. alton

Squad Leader The Great Debater The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    :dead1::dead:

20. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    That part with the guy in the theater and the family LOL!!!! my favorite part..covering the kids eyes and the look on the woman's face....I love it so much! :heh:

I have decided that I am not going to sit tomorrow and fukin mourn and sh@t. I am going to have fun with this whole Valentine's day bull.

21. SB3

SB3 is a Featured MemberSB3
    Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    I mean, real talk, Id enjoy 1, ONE day a year to get spoiled as I attempt to outspoil. 0 reason for it, but I cant rly front on it

bisonboy and cypher21 dapped this.
  22. SB3

Daps Received:
    If there's any1 in Ny looking, we can be each other's valentines. Im just in my feelings..

23. SB3

Daps Received:
    Real talk tho @Ockydub, i get the fact that "this" random day shouldnt mean ____, but whats the harm in letting that day be an opp/excuse to go out n be all bood up?

24. OckyDub

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    I agree with your cryptic typed short hand.

What I'm saying is that if you don't have someone to celebrate and enjoy this fake holiday with, you shouldn't give a peachfuzz off a male mouse's scrotum sack.

This societal group think that if you don't partake you're somehow "less then" or not one of "us" has its roots in pride, supremacy and religion.

Speaking of religion...this day is a celebration of a damn dead european christian saint.

ControlledXaos dapped this.
  25. ControlledXaos

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Yeah, all of the sales and marketing for the day have deprecated "Saint" and only use "Valentine." The only place I have seen it fully typed is on calendars.

26. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Well I started out the day with a good satisfying breakfast. Bacon. Nothing but bacon. A whole package of it. MMMM good. And nobody to byctch about 'that's not good for you'.

Going to the store later to get some favorite stuff(and hopefully some good marked down chocolate)but there is snow coming so the store will be fllled with the 'milk and breaders' unfortunately.

SB3, ControlledXaos and Tyroc dapped this.
  27. bisonboy

The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    I wish that was me this year lol just to get a booty call today wouldn't have been half bad lol

28. Nick Delmacy

Nick Delmacy is a Verified MemberNick Delmacy Da Architect

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Yo contrary to the narrative, when I'm in "Mack Mode" and into a dude..I can go all out for sappy shit like Valentine's Day...its a tradition, no matter how cynical you are about the origin of the holiday, who cares. Its a day to be sappy and romantic. If I had a dude and we lived together (or I had a key to his place), this is what he would come home to:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. bisonboy

The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    Will you be my valentine 2017, so I can come home to this lol

JNH412 and Nick Delmacy dapped this.
  30. SB3

Daps Received:
    What ur homie said. But cmon man, its ok to have a day to spoil bae. Shyt, id have enjoyed tf out of it INSTEAD of bein on the plantation working a comedy show that was all about epic love fails

#30 SB3, Feb 15, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  31. OckyDub

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    I agree...but if you have to wait for a designated assigned day to be romantic then...

ControlledXaos and ColumbusGuy dapped this.
  32. SB3

Daps Received:
    Real talk, the ocd virgo in me would come home n be like 'why are there all these damn ballons in my house!...who gon clean this shyt up?!'

33. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    ^^ My partner was a virgo and was just the opposite and put up with my cancer slob self fine?

34. SB3

Daps Received:
    But then I'd think abt the sentiment n go get a btl n make us a nice meal so we could #netflixnchill

ColumbusGuy dapped this.
  35. Tyroc

Daps Received:
    Now you sound like a Gemini.

Champagne Papi dapped this.