Dom And Nick |Cute Black Gay Coupe

Discussion in 'Dating and Relationships' started by mojoreece, Jun 29, 2017.

1. mojoreece

Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    I found this article on about a cute black gay couple:p:).
    What yall think about them and their story? @Champagne_Papi @takeyourmeds91 @sekou @NikR @Infinite_loop @DreG @Luke Evergreen @Rio, @OhSheit @African King @RolandG @ControlledXaos @Dante @SB3, @BlackExcellence, @BlackguyExecutive, @Omega Level, @DC, @NickAuzenneNOLA, @Ockydub, @Nick Delmacy

People Can't Handle This Couple's Truly Inspiring Love Story

"Falling in love with another black man was scary in ways neither of us could have ever imagined."

Posted on June 14, 2017, at 5:08 p.m.
    Sarah Karlan | BuzzFeed News Reporter

Nick Gilyard, 25, and his boyfriend Dominic Spence, 27, have known each other since they were teenagers.

[​IMG]

They were recently featured on thewaywemet Instagram account, which chronicles couples' (usually very adorable) love stories.

"Dominic and I met as teenagers. We went to different high schools but they were close in proximity, so we had a lot of mutual friends," their story begins. "High school was also the time period in which we both came out to our families, although at separate times and unknowingly of each other's personal journeys."

According to the caption, the couple's first date lasted for several hours until the bar closed down. They would endure seven years of long distance in several different cities before finally landing together. Spence proposed during a visit to London in 2015 — Gilyard said yes.

But both of them had doubts that they would ever find such a fairy-tale ending. Gilyard noted in the Instagram post that "falling in love with another black man was scary in ways neither of us could have ever imagined."

Dominic and I feel lucky to have found love at such a young age. However, falling in love with another black man was scary in ways neither of us could have ever imagined. It forced us to face the very real resistance from society for being not only homosexuals but black men as well. We had to confront the stereotypes of being largely defined as uneducated, disloyal, untrustworthy, and unreliable individuals. But together we chose to rise above those prejudices and rewrite our own story- one of inspiration. We want others to see that our union is marked by achievement, love, friendship, respect, and unconditional support. We hope to encourage other black and brown men and boys everywhere to be true to who they are. And when they find love in each other's eyes, to know that their love is just as strong and beautiful as anyone else's.

"It is easy to feel unwanted as a black man in America and the same can be said for being queer," Gilyard told BuzzFeed News. "When you exist at that kind of an intersection, it's easy to feel as if you'll never find someone to love you or even fully love yourself."

"Which makes the idea of two gay black men finding love in one another so powerful. To do so is to be completely confident in your blackness and queerness which grants you the freedom to fully express yourself. It's not easy, but it is liberating."
    "We hope to encourage other black and brown men and boys everywhere to be true to who they are," he added. The post has been liked over 15,000 times and received a number of supportive comments — and a few negative comments as well.
    [​IMG]

We do sometimes get negative comments on our posts or will see someone reshare our photo with a negative caption," Gilyard explained. "We have a rule to never engage personally with negativity and hope that sets an example for other people who might fall victim to cyberbullying."
    The couple regularly receives messages of support or requests for relationship advice from their followers. The most moving message came from a mother in Alabama whose son had recently come out to her.
    [​IMG]

"She had come across a photo of Dominic and I together and wanted to know how she could best support her son," explained Gilyard. "Even though she knew little about the LGBT community and feared how he would be treated."

The couple hopes that anyone who comes across their story walks away feeling empowered to "love fiercely and unapologetically."

Their advice for other people currently in long-distance relationships? Communication.

[​IMG]
    "We each lost a parent when we were very young and have made a promise to ourselves and each other to never take our time together for granted," Gilyard explained.

"Communication is essential," Spence added. "Not only in difficult times but even when things are going well. Something we started doing a few years ago was random text messages of gratitude followed by #ReasonWhyILoveYou."
    Gilyard and Spence will be tying the knot next month surrounded by friends and family in Miami Beach, Florida. The officiant will be Gilyard's high school mentor, who was also a science teacher at Spence's high school.

[​IMG]

Their Engagement Photos!

upload_2017-6-29_18-15-16.gif

upload_2017-6-29_18-15-39.gif

#1 mojoreece, Jun 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
    Caliblk, DreG, Jdudre and 1 other person dapped this.
  2. takeyourmeds91

The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I wish them much happiness, strength, and longevity because I need something to believe in.

This lifestyle can be very discouraging. It's like even when you do see a couple who have been together for years or even married, they're trying to convince everyone else of their happiness.

DreG, Infinite_loop, Jdudre and 6 others dapped this.
  3. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    Good for them. Just some observations...

"...to be completely confident in your blackness and queerness which grants you the freedom to fully express yourself. It's not easy, but it is liberating."

1. I learned today that I'm not confident or liberated because I haven't embraced queerness.
    2. Per the title, who were the people that couldn't handle seeing these two on IG? I assumed receipts would be presented.

Jdudre dapped this.
  4. Omega Level

Omega Level DRACARYS
    The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    If I was a betting man, something about them looks like they are going to be together for life. I think its the way they look at each other. It looks pure and authentic. Like they were meant to be together and each one is marrying their best friend.

Outstanding to see images like this. Sooooo happy for them and wish them continued love, success, and joy.

DreG, Jdudre and mojoreece dapped this.
  5. Winston Smith

Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Man, I feel catfished lol. Thought that headline meant @Nick Delmacy finally found someone in LA **AND** bought a new sports car.

Infinite_loop and OhSheit dapped this.
  6. mojoreece

Daps Received:
    I think when they say "queerness" they just meaning being black gay or same gender loving. Queer has become the new word instead of saying lgbtqi etc. lol

They prob mean them being displayed in some main stream sites like Vibe magazine. You know people online can be very mean and opinionated on social media.

Jdudre and Omega Level dapped this.
  7. mojoreece

Daps Received:
    So True. Its so good to have examples of genuinely in love black gay couples. It can be so discouraging not seeing us in the media or portrayed only in extreme stereotypes.

By the way, Their wedding website has some more great photos also Our Story

[​IMG]

#7 mojoreece, Jun 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
    Jdudre, takeyourmeds91 and Omega Level dapped this.
  8. Omega Level

Omega Level DRACARYS
    The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    I just saw their wedding website. Although it is very beautiful and they look very happy, I am quite surprised a bit. I saw an RSVP section as well as time and location of their ceremony.

So they are inviting the world to their ceremony?

That just seems a bit odd to me. I know to each is own and if they want to share their love with the world, go for it. But my personal opinion finds it a bit shocking that they would share so much information to something so intimate. The website is ok, i get that. I have seen people do that before. But the time and place so any random person can show up? Seems a bit weird.

9. OckyDub

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    Maybe they trying to capitalized on their gaylebrity. Why not get publicity for displaying positive queerness?

Jdudre and BlackguyExecutive dapped this.
  10. Omega Level

Omega Level DRACARYS
    The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    Hmmm ok. I guess your right.

(me thinking - "why does your opinion read as a backhanded compliment") :heh: Oh, Ocky your ability to find something critical in a gay article is anything if not consistent.

ControlledXaos and acessential dapped this.
  11. mojoreece

Daps Received:
    True or it could be to for their wedding registry to get more gifts and free stuff. Who would not want more gifts and free stuff. I know I would the struggle is real lol:yeshrug:

Oh @Ockydub you really dont like this "queer" word do you? lol

[​IMG]

Omega Level and BlackguyExecutive dapped this.
  12. BlackguyExecutive

BlackguyExecutive Je suis diplomate
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Married
    I first read this story on BuzzFeed and then saw them again on subsequent web posting. I think they are simply capitalizing on this moment. Get recognized by mainstream LGBT sites. Getting praise by the LGBT gatekeepers. Why not? One of them is an attorney who will probably be introduced to opportunities because of this. I am one to say if you can ride a wave take the opportunity because you may never get another chance. With that being said, it annoys me when I see couples who share social media accounts.

#12 BlackguyExecutive, Jun 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
  13. BlackguyExecutive

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Married
    When I got married. Mother fuckers bought us all kinds of crazy shit. In my old home in the US. There is an $100 kitchen aid toaster on the counter. I went on amazon and was like I want all kitchen aid appliances. And low and behold. I received all of them

mojoreece dapped this.
  14. takeyourmeds91

The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Right lol

15. OckyDub

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    LMAO

16. OckyDub

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    No Cypher Ave member, big or small, past or present has uploaded more Black Gay Love / Gay Marriage threads and posts than me. I don't know why I must always be attacked for my observations...in addition to attempting to embrace my queerness.
    :mynicca:

[​IMG]

17. BlackguyExecutive

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Married
    [​IMG]

OckyDub dapped this.
  18. ControlledXaos

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I can count his fingers in his pockets because those pants are so tight.

19. TheGrotesqueLestat

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    They do make a lovely couple :)
    Now they can make white babies like MJ back then.
    Good luck! :whut:

20. Caliblk

Caliblk Squad Member

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    This was a beautiful story. I think I just followed them a week ago.