Don't Live in the Same City As Your Family If They Don't Accept You As Gay/Bi?

Discussion in 'Group Discussions' started by Nigerian Prince, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Nigerian Prince

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    Hey guys,

I know that right now I like the idea of living in the following places:

Houston, TX (born and raised)
    D.C. (summer enrichment program in 2009)
    Atlanta (summer research program in 2011)
    Miami (close to FTL where I'm doing grad school)

I leave Houston tomorrow and coming back here reminds me of why I like the south and the city a lot. I have the option of settling here depending on whether or not I get a job offer in the future. But... My parents live in Houston, TX. I could get my own place and all that but maybe I need to spread my wings in the future and be in a city separate from my parents.

For those of you who dealt with your parents not accepting you, would you prefer living in the same city as your parents or a different city from your parents? Why or why not?

2. ControlledXaos

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Well Houston is a big enough city where you really can avoid your parents altogether so it's less likely to matter. You already know where they live, where they shop, etc. Simply avoid those places and that end of town and that should do it.

I'm a fan of people venturing out. Being from a small town myself, I have had the opportunity to experience a few major metro areas. I have learned that "ain't never been no whea" can apply to people who are from large cities as well.

Also because I have been to a few places, I have learned that I just like major cities and a lot of what I like can be replicated in most cities... Racial diversity, diverse restaurants, parks, recreation, festivals, rapid transit, hub airport etc. Give me those and I'm pretty good. I prefer areas that have at least 1.8 million people in the Metropolitan area.

I like Atlanta however because it is close to home to a degree and the weather I'm used to. Being gay friendly definitely helps but isn't a major factor for me simply because people don't assume I'm gay off the bat and I'm not the most approachable anyway.

I will say that when you are done with school, your job offers are likely going to determine where you'll end up anyway. Hopefully you'll be lucky enough to choose from of your top picks.

Tyroc, Nigerian Prince and grownman dapped this.
  3. Nigerian Prince

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    Yeah I do think about venturing out. I really do hope I get those choices as far as job offers in the future for my career. *Crossing fingers!*