Enjoy Earth While It Lasts: Atmospheric Carbon Levels Pass the Point of No Return

Discussion in 'Race, Religion, Science and Politics' started by OckyDub, Sep 30, 2016.

1. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married

The bad news: Earth's climate change problem just passed a point of no return. Atmospheric carbon levels have passed 400 parts per million, and they won't return to more environment-friendly levels "ever again for the indefinite future."

The good news? Oh, wait, no. Sorry. We're pretty screwed.

We already knew it was bad. After all, in the last 20 years, humanity destroyed 1.27 million square miles—10 percent—of the Earth's wilderness. Climate change has "devastated" 93 percent of the Great Barrier Reef. The world's so screwed that genius Stephen Hawking recently claimed that "the human race has no future if it doesn't go to space."

But now we really, really know we're in trouble. Scientist Ralph Keeling, who's in charge of the Scripps Institute for Oceanography's carbon dioxide monitoring program, wrote in a blog that "it already seems safe to conclude that we won’t be seeing a monthly value below 400 ppm this year—or ever again for the indefinite future."

Similarly, NASA's chief climate scientist Gavin Schmidt told Climate Central, “In my opinion, we won’t ever see a month below 400 ppm.”

Carbon dioxide, or CO2, is the "primary greenhouse gas that is contributing to recent climate change," according to the Environmental Protection Agency.NASA says that the planet's average surface temperature has warmed 1.8 degrees Fahrenheit since the Industrial Revolution, because of "increased carbon dioxide and other human-made emissions into the atmosphere."

This year is set to be the hottest year on record—following 16 record-hot months straight, the longest streak the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration has recorded in its 137 years.

A lot of problems come with climate change. Because of it, one-fourth of the Earth's species could be extinct by 2050. It also screws up food webs, as polar bears are finding out the hard way. Millions and millions of people will have to relocate due to rising sea levels, with scientists estimating that over 13 million Americans might have to move by 2100.

While 400 ppm is more of a symbolic point than an actual tipping point (for example, there's not a huge difference between 395 ppm and 405 ppm), the findings at the Mauna Loa Observatory in Hawaii are troubling because September is typically the lowest point of the year for atmospheric carbon dioxide. Keeling explained, "By November, we will be marching up the rising half of the cycle, pushing towards new highs and perhaps even breaking the 410 ppm barrier."

In 2012, the Arctic passed the 400 ppm mark—the first region to do so. In recent years, Antarctica was the only carbon dioxide monitoring station that hadn't reached a reading of 400 ppm, but they passed that mark in June—for the first time in millions of years.

jpo dapped this.
  2. alton

Squad Leader The Great Debater The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I love how they make it seem like "the Earth" is in trouble. NO muthaf@#ka...WE are in trouble. The planet has been through this MANY times before we came along (Paleocene Period for example, when the planet was almost all Jungle and Marshland) and will go through it plenty more times AFTER we're gone. I love how bitches wanna f@#k shit up and then all of a sudden get concerned once their livelihood is in danger. Like people that get caught saying racial shit. You not apologizing cause you sorry, you apologizing cause you got caught. These "Environmentalists" aren't concerned for the state of the planet, their concerned about their own individual futures. No species is meant to stick around infinitely, although Sharks, Alligators/Crocodiles, and Roaches seem to have found some kind of loophole LOL. Maybe it's time for humanity to be eliminated and let something else take over that will actually appreciate the planet.

3. BlackguyExecutive

BlackguyExecutive Je suis diplomate
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Married
    I was here in Paris working like a crazy mad man when President Obama and the other world leaders signed the historic Paris Accords on Climate Change. I really don't get why people don't think this shit is real. Most people say it is because we will long be dead before we start to see any real changes, I call this the fuck future generations defense. Others just don't believe that 97% of scientists can be right about something, I call this the climate denier defense, these people are anti-intellectual. We can't save/solve stupid sometimes. On the other hand, we are starting to see real effects, indigenous people in the arctic and on small islands are seeing the real effects of sea rise. There are communities in Alaska that literally had to move their entire town inland. That project cost the Alaskan and American Taxpayer hundreds of millions of dollars. SMH.

jpo, ColumbusGuy, ControlledXaos and 2 others dapped this.
  4. alton

Squad Leader The Great Debater The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:

The "F#$k The Future" generation was actually formed in the early 1900's. THEY're the ones that sparked all this shit off. All I can do is sit back and watch the drama fly, because the muhf#$kaz that think we wont see the effects of this shit before we die have a RUUUUUDE ass awakening. Then again, they've made their fortunes already and are either dead or with one foot in the grave, so they could care less at this point.

I've been paying close attention to the topography of Brooklyn in relation to where I live, because I believe I'm in a "Valley" that extends down to Far Rockaway (the beach) so when the oceans do start rising, me and @SB3 will most likely be underwater.

#4 alton, Sep 30, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    ControlledXaos dapped this.
  5. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    ALL THIS SH!T HERE
    :salute::babylawd:

ControlledXaos dapped this.
  6. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Worst off is Oceania. Some entire coral island nations are gonna have to be abandoned soon. Just wait till the Antarctica Ice Sheet starts melting or the Ross Ice Shelf breaks apart. Sea level is going to jump up fast.

7. jpo

jpo
    The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    You don't have to go to Alaska or Oceana to see the changes. I spend a lot of time in a wetland on the shore of Chesapeake Bay. I've been going there for 22 years now. The bay's level is rising. The amount of tidal flooding increases visibly by the year. When I left yesterday afternoon, the local road was awash in three places and the tide was not yet high.
    Everyone talks about the sea level, but I have noticed that the intensity of the wind has also increased greatly and the northwest winter wind off the bay drives shoreline erosion, taking out trees that anchor the shore.
    Yet, despite this very real evidence, a significant number of my neighbors, longtime residents, don't believe in global warming and voted for the successful Republican candidate for governor in 204 because he promised to roll back his predecessor's environmental policies.

BlackguyExecutive dapped this.
  8. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Isn't there an island town out there that is basically being abandoned because the land is just slipping away? And the deniers don't have an excuse for that area like they do for Louisiana(the Mississippi River dumping all the sediment off the continental shelf instead of letting it get distributed back by tides and currents as wetland support).

And as you mentioned, climate change is not about things just getting warmer, but about more climate extremes and more extreme events- longer droughts, worse flooding, worse and stronger storms, etc. Areas that are fragile now will become more fragile, areas that have not been at risk will be at risk, and the risks themselves will be getting more numerous and impactful. Not a good combo.

9. jpo

jpo
    The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    @ColumbusGuy Smith Island is still inhabited although the island continues to sink and erode. It is famous for Smith Island cake, a nine or ten layer cake baked by the women on the island. There are other islands that have completely disappeared within the last century. Opposite where I stay is James Island, which is now three, perhaps four, tiny islets. It is no longer inhabited, but the mother of an elderly neighbor was born and raised on Smith Island. It once was fairly large but has now broken up and was abandoned decades ago.