Erykah Badu Says She’s ‘Putting Up A Prayer’ For R. Kelly - Black Twitter Self Destructs

Discussion in 'Race, Religion, Science and Politics' started by OckyDub, Jan 20, 2019.

1. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    [​IMG]

Twitter users are dragging R&B singer Erykah Badu after she mentioned R. Kelly and the numerous sexual abuse allegations against him at a concert in Chicago on Saturday.

“I’m putting up a prayer right now for [R. Kelly],” Badu told audience members at the Aragon Ballroom. “I hope he sees the light of day if he’s done all those things that we’ve seen on TV and heard those ladies talk about. I hope he sees the light of day and comes forward.”

Someone can be heard yelling, “Shut up!” as Badu’s comments draw both muffled boos and cheers from the audience.

Badu continued, “What if one of the people that was assaulted by R. Kelly grows up to be an offender? Are we gonna crucify them? I mean, how do we do this? It’s just something to think about.”

It’s unclear if Badu meant to defend R. Kelly in her remarks. A representative for Badu did not immediately respond to HuffPost’s request for comment.

Twitter users blasted Badu for not taking a stronger stand against R. Kelly, the subject of Lifetime docuseries “Surviving R. Kelly,” which explores accusations from several women who say the R&B icon sexually abused them when they were underage.

Badu reportedly declined to appear in Lifetime’s “Surviving R. Kelly.” Fans speculated that her recent Instagram post addressed the R. Kelly controversy, which she appeared to confirm in a comment to a fan.

“‘Having Eyes that can see all points of view is a blessing ... and a curse in the court of public opinion.’ - a mother,” Badu had posted. “I C on both sides like Chanel.”

“I loved you until I realized you support a rapist and pedophile as your brother,” one Instagram user commented on the post.

Badu wrote back, “Correction: Love has very little to do with supporting others’ bad choices. Love is wisdom.”

Badu faced scrutiny last January for saying she sees “something good” in Adolf Hitler during an interview with Vulture.

“I’m a humanist,” she said. “I see good in everybody. I saw something good in Hitler.”

She added, “I love Bill Cosby, and I love what he’s done for the world. But if he’s sick, why would I be angry with him? The people who got hurt, I feel so bad for them. I want them to feel better, too. But sick people do evil things; hurt people hurt people.”

2. OckyDub

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    As I've now learned and will continue to say, "nuanced thought and conversation is a thing of the past."

At no point in her statement did this woman defend R. Kelly. IMO she did prop him up back in 2015 though....but in this statement she didn't

[​IMG]PaigeThePlug
    She did say ‘ if one of the people he assaulted, begins to attack others, will we crucify the as well’. What I believe she was saying was, since R.Kelly was also victim of sexual abuse and grew up to became a predator, he started a sick cycle and it’s still going on today

6:16 AM - 20 Jan 2019
    New conversation

1. [​IMG]PaigeThePlug
        She wasn’t trying to justify or condone his actions but was saying the she hopes he gets some help! That’s what I took from it

3. RolandG

Bae Material Squad Leader The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    It's complicated
    I think people are looking for precise positions. I understand what she was trying to say, but I can understand how some see it as straddling the fence. Like many people who try and understand the sick mind of somebody like R. Kelly, Erykah failed to make a declarative statement to his wrongdoing. Maybe because she feels he isn't 100% wrong. Some are conflating the older women who are with him on their own free will with the young girls he has raped. To me, there can't be any grey when it comes to saying that what he has done is wrong and we should not tolerate it as a society. Yes he was molested and yes he can't read but that doesn't mean he gets a free pass to do the same thing. We do have laws.

4. OckyDub

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    "nuanced thought and conversation is a thing of the past." and I will now add common sense to this statement.

Simple and plain...

[​IMG]ErykahBadoula‏Verified account @fatbellybella

I love you. Unconditionally. That doesn’t mean I support your poor choices. I want healing for you and anyone you have hurt as a result of you being hurt. Is that strange to you ? That’s all I’ve ever said. Anything else has been fabricated or taken out of context. - eb

4:20 PM - 20 Jan 2019