Evidence the Moon Had an Atmosphere for 70 Million Years

Discussion in 'Race, Religion, Science and Politics' started by OckyDub, Oct 10, 2017.

1. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    [​IMG]

FOUR BILLION YEARS AGO, THE Moon was going through a rough patch. During this age, now known as the Late Heavy Bombardment, the Moon (along with Earth) was being pummeled by asteroids. This had the effect of aggravating its core of liquid hot magma, the way a wound gets aggravated if you poke it one too many times. Lava exploded onto the Moon’s surface, leaving behind dark spots of volcanic basalt, cupped in the impact craters left behind by the asteroids.

Now, analyzing samples of the basalt collected in the 1970s, two space researchers have discovered that those eruptions also released a whole bunch of gas—so much that it formed an atmosphere around the Moon that lasted for 70 million years.

Looking at the composition of the basalt, Debra H. Needham, of the NASA Marshall Space Flight Center, and Dr. David A. Kring, of the Universities Space Research Association, were able to determine that those lava flows would have released carbon monoxide, oxygen, hydrogen, sulfur, and other gases from the Moon’s surface. Though much of that gas would have been lost to space, some of it formed a temporary atmosphere around the Moon. That layer of gas was about 1.5 times the thickness of the atmosphere on Mars, but still only about 1.5 percent of the Earth’s atmosphere, as Popular Mechanics reports.

The Moon’s temporary atmosphere would have been thickest about 3.5 billon years ago and lasted for about 70 million years. If lunar atmosphere isn’t exciting enough on its own, consider that the same events that led to its formation may have left behind materials that could further human exploration and life on the Moon—as NASA puts it, these compounds “may also provide the in-situ resources needed for sustained lunar surface activities.”

If humans find a way to spend long stretches on the Moon, we may have four-billion-year-old asteroids to thank.

Found: Evidence the Moon Had an Atmosphere for 70 Million Years

2. Jai

Jai Being strong minded.
    The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Asexual
    Dating:
    Single
    My kinda topic (well I was really looking for something along the lines of Evidence of Naked Men Still Living On the Moon) but this will do as well. I am obsessed with the Cosmos (I'm such a nerd off of Cypher). From my window I get views of the moon in lots of phases and I can see some magnificant celestial body shining bright (Jupiter perhaps). If I still had my telescope, I'd be in heaven. Honestly, what if something was still on the Moon and NASA just isn't saying anything about it. What if it's another reason they aren't going back.. (even though they say space travel is expensive..) Hahahaha.

But anyways, interesting info. Space is a beautiful buy dangerous place.

Winston Smith dapped this.
  3. Winston Smith

Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Are you familiar with this magazine?
    [​IMG]

I prefer Brit magazines of any type to US ones. This is usually at B&N but in America it’s $16 - $20 a month for the physical copy. You can get the identical digital version (with all the great pictures) in iTunes as an app for about $5 each month.

4. Omega Level

Omega Level DRACARYS
    The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    Well according to the series Ancient Aliens, (one of my favorite shows) that is exactly what the case is.

They have a whole theory of the dark side of the moon, the side we never see, being a host of various activities upwards of an alien airport of sorts to even having a living colony on it.

I think there is definitely something mysterious about the moon and the universe in general that is kept very private.

Jai dapped this.
  5. OckyDub

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    You know how some church gays be like "I need a man who puts Christ first"?

I need a dude who believes in life throughout our galaxy and the universe...if not...deuces.

6. Winston Smith

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Hitler, er um, History Channel makes my head hurt lol. They should be ashamed of themselves for passing their alien shows off as "history." I also consider the whole "Aliens built the pyramids and taught ancient peoples who were too stupid to figure out math and science" to be just another form of white supremacy. Or as the dude way smarter than me put it

Aliens et al are fun in the fantasy sense but there's nothing really mysterious about the dark side of the moon, other than being the title of Pink Floyd's best album lol.

Cyrus-Brooks dapped this.
  7. OckyDub

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    ...but also it doesn't mean they didn't LOL
    :fakenews:

8. Winston Smith

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Only to white Trump supporters and lazy ghetto negroes that think "books are for fags." Lol.

Cyrus-Brooks dapped this.
  9. Omega Level

Omega Level DRACARYS
    The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    Ha, yeah I understand your point about the History channel. I never took the alien shows as actual history, but just as entertainment. I like the thought of imaging what the aliens would be or would be capable of. Because of course, they are definitely out there.

I think with the overwhelming vastness of the universe, anyone who thinks we are the only living civilization and there are no other habituated planets out there are down right looney and kinda ignorant. Can we say LARGE EGO much? lol

And the dark side of the moon could very well be a station of some sort. I mean would we really put in past our government or even another country government to have something of the sort? Maybe is just black emptiness, but hey, you never know....

10. Winston Smith

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    My response was in no way a slam at you, I think everyone here knows by now that Ock and I are definitely the skeptical, rational “unchurched” type unlike some gays out there

[​IMG]

I just think real science is far more fascinating than the crap that American TV networks try to pass off as “theory.” As a writer it actually makes for better fiction to know science, too. For example, I had a character recently who needed to be bullet proof in a military story. Non-newtonian solids made for a better suit than Kevlar and they're real (and spectacular!).

I had this space discussion with a relative recently. Yes, we can extrapolate through math and stats that there is a strong likelihood that life is all over the place in a universe of trillions of stars, planets, galaxies. But because it’s impossible to travel at the speed of light (due to increased mass as you approach that speed limit, and the ungodly power it would take) we will never ever see that life, unless there’s something on Europa or somewhere near Earth. Even if we could travel at light speed, it would take four years to get to Proxima Centauri one-way. Then there’s the fuel needed, parts that could break down in between here and there with no possibility of assistance, cosmic radiation, weightlessness on human bodies...Sci-Fi stories would be so much more exciting if they embraced the tensions and problems, instead of Star Trek and Star Wars making space travel seem like a Kia Soul putting along the Jersey Turnpike lol.

And as I’ve stated before, people who don’t work for the government vastly overestimate the power of it. This is the same moronic crew that couldn’t keep Monica Lewinsky, NSA data, or DHS employee info a secret. If there were alien bodies (a lot of toothless idiots in Columbus Guy’s neck of the woods think alien bodies are held at Wright Patterson AFB) or secret things from any government on the moon, everyone would find out in the Internet age, because every government on earth is massively incompetent.

And unlike Pink Floyd and Roger Waters, Neil Degrasse Tyson never spit in the face of his fans over the Dark Side of the Moon lol
    Pink Floyd Fails Neil deGrasse Tyson's Science Class: ‘There Is No Dark Side of the Moon'

#10 Winston Smith, Oct 11, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    Omega Level dapped this.
  11. Omega Level

Omega Level DRACARYS
    The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    Yes, you are absolutely right here.

I always said something is only a secret if only 1 person knows about it. Once you have more than 1 person in on anything, its no longer a secret and the possibility of it getting out to the masses is large. Thats why I still to this day "do my dirt all by my lonely" :babylawd:

So agreed if there was definitive proof or a cover up, that shit would of gotten out by now. Especially in this big mouth, everyone wants to be famous day in age.

Side bar - you remember back in the day we use to have "video footage" and all kind of sightings of UFOs? Now that everyone has a phone/camera at all times on them, all the UFOs have disappeared! LOL. We would have seen those things by now. In hi-definition clear as a day. Still hoping we do tho one day. I think it would be awesome.

12. Winston Smith

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    I honestly believe a lot of those sightings were just secret military experimental aircraft back in the days when good photography was rare and confined to people who could afford pro SLR or other cameras. That’s probably what Area 51 actually was, just experimental labs. After all that’s where the first nukes were developed (New Mexico). I’ve also been to Roswell. Nothing there but a lot of shitty tourist stands to shore up their Mayberry economy.

Even Stealth bombers stopped being so fascinating after the Serbs shot it down lol
    [​IMG]