FDA lifts 'gay ban' on blood donations..with a catch.

Discussion in 'Mental, Medical and Sexual Health' started by tigerbreaux, Dec 21, 2015.

1. tigerbreaux

tigerbreaux Polymath In-training
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    So the FDA just lifted the lifetime ban on blood donations form gay or bisexual men, but with a pretty big caveat. The donor has to have been obstinate for a full year prior to donation. This is a huge slap in the face. They might as well have just kept the lifetime ban until they came to a more comparable solution. I don't know any man who will abstain for a year just to give blood.

I for one lie and give blood every time I am able to do so. I momentarily feel horrible for lying and and feeling guilty for "shaming" myself, but then I think about the good it can do and the desperate need they have for donations. I have friends who refuse to donate because of he ban, and I can't blame them. Unfortunately, I don't see this new rule changing anytime soon, especially because other countries (namely the UK and Australia) have similar restrictions in place.

2. Nigerian Prince

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    Yeah it just depends on what's going on and how sexually active you are. I understand the rules from a scientific standpoint that those who are abstinent are less likely to contract HIV/AIDS or any STIs. Then from a more emotional standpoint, there is the discrimination that assumes that LGBT individuals are just running around with STIs, AIDS/HIV, etc.

I think they are going off of data when comparing heterosexual and homosexual HIV incidence rates which makes them think they have a justified reason for what they are doing. But on the other hand, what about heterosexuals that are sexually active? They can be having unprotected sex too! So if gays have to be abstinent then maybe heterosexuals should be abstinent as well!

Cyrus-Brooks dapped this.
  3. Cyrus-Brooks

Cyrus-Brooks is a Featured MemberCyrus-Brooks The Black Vulcan
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    Eh, I never give blood anyway so this has no relevance to me. But I can see how some in the gay community are troubled by the blanket ban since homosexual and bisexual men are smeared as "disease spreaders" by homophobic people.

4. ControlledXaos

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Well my A+ blood is hiv free so.... I lie.

I just think it's the greater good. We are educated on hiv now and that rule was placed in fear early on. Most people who are positive know they can't give blood and people who are "anything goes" too scared to get tests, let alone donate blood.

When was the last time someone acquiesce hiv via blood transfusion anyway?

5. Dante

Dante https://www.gofundme.com/qv7v5dw
    The Great Debater The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    I really think that it's sad there is a ban on any man who with either gay or bisexual that has had sexual relations with another man to donate blood in this century. There's so much information on HIV and AIDS. And to not understand the disease for what it is and that it's not a "gay or bisexual man's disease" is completely ignorant and blatantly dumb in all definitions of it.

It's like saying Black people cannot move into rich/upperclass neighborhoods, because they are all thieves. And in order to move into a rich/upperclass, you have to show that you have not been convicted of a crime for the pass 5 years.

#DoBettaMatters

6. alton

Squad Leader The Great Debater The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Gay Men should stop donating blood, then. F#%k 'em. It's like giving change to a homeless dude that won't take it because you're black. Sure, he don't necessarily need that little bit of change from YOU, but can Beggars really be Choosy? I bet if muhf@#kaz stopped donating and they come up on a shortage they'de change their tune real quick. And even then I'de still say "f#$k 'em". smh

7. tigerbreaux

tigerbreaux Polymath In-training
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    But the ones denying aren't the people who need the blood. The people who actually need the blood would accept it, I'm sure. That's why I still give.

8. Michael

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Derek Zulanders Center For Kids Who Cant Read Good
    I just find it odd that we pretty much have to be celibate for a year to donate blood and our hetero counterparts could've had a gangbang five minutes earlier and they can donate blood no problem.

grownman dapped this.