Best Posts in Thread: Gay Like Me

1. acessential

Squad Leader Best Thread Creator The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Has anyone posted about this docu-series? It focuses on the stories of masculine gay black men. This is part 1. Hopefully there's more in the future.

2. BlackguyExecutive

BlackguyExecutive Je suis diplomate
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Married
    I am not even 10 minutes into the video, and I am already triggered. First, Mr. Lowery can get it. Brotha is fine AF.

I was one of those people who shielded myself with achievements. On this my 33rd year of life, I look back at how hard I pushed myself very early on to be damn near perfect. I used that quest for an achievement to hide. In many ways, I am sad about it. I never allowed myself to be merely live. I stayed up late, always did the extra credit, made perfect grades. In my extracurriculars, I had to not only be on the team but lead it whether it was sports or drama. When Mr. Lowery spoke about his quest to achieve, he was talking directly to me.

3. SB3

SB3 is a Featured MemberSB3
    Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Dope. I've always felt the lack of visibility was the biggest issue when it came to the one dimensional perception of gay men. Coming from an artistic environment (8/10 gays decide they're supposed to be performers once they realize they're gay..smh) I personally know many guys who were 'gay coons' simply because they were imitating what they thought 'gay' was supposed to be, and you wouldn't know that seeing them today.

I wonder where Derek J got the idea from...