'He would rather have a dead son than a gay son': Former foster mom speaks about shooting

Discussion in 'LGBT News and Events' started by Dreamwalker, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Dreamwalker

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    HENDERSON (KSNV News3LV) — Friends and family are remembering a 14-year-old son who Henderson police say was shot and killed by his own father.

People close to the murder victim say part of the argument leading to the shooting was about the teen's sexual orientation.

Friends of Giovanni Melton remember an energetic teenager bringing smiles to everyone he met.

Coronado High School Senior Bailey Schultz says Melton went to her school.

"It’s just sad. He was young and he had a lot to live for," said Schultz.

On Thursday afternoon, Henderson police say 53-year-old Wendell Melton shot his teenage son in the apartment where family members say Giovanni stayed by himself.

RELATED | Father arrested for shooting death of teenage son near Seven Hills, Horizon Ridge

"Giovanni was abused physically and mentally and spiritually for many, many years," said Sonja Jones, Giovanni's former foster mom.

Over the phone, Jones spoke of the teen she loved as one of her own.

Jones says she was told by another family member that part of the argument that led to the deadly shooting was over Giovanni's sexual orientation. Jones says Wendell Melton had problems with it.

"He hated the fact that his son was gay," said Jones. "I'm sure that inside of his mind, he would rather have a dead son than a gay son."

Court records show Wendell Melton worked for United Airlines. He once was a pilot. Jones says Wendell threatened his son before.

"I'm hearing his dad had caught him with his boyfriend before and pulled out a gun on him," said Jones.

Giovanni was a student at Coronado High School. Jones says a beautiful life was taken away because of ignorance.

"I hope they throw the book at him. I hope he never sees the light of day," said Jones. "I hope every day when he looks in the mirror, he sees his son's face."

Cyrus-Brooks dapped this.
  2. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    While ridiculously tragic...

At this point in time, we (the viewing public) don't know and can only assume.

Everything in the media is based off of what "Jones said". Not one statement from the dad said or is saying he said "I would rather have a dead son than a gay son." While my senses are telling me this may be true that doesn't make it fact.

Regardless, shooting and killing your 14 yr old son is h.o.r.r.i.b.l.e

Something is telling me in the collective mind set/s if the dad caught his 14 yr old daughter in the bed with her boyfriend the reaction would be different but still nonetheless tragic.

Just my observations.

3. Dreamwalker

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    F8BD146F-224B-4CA8-8DFC-B3A2666BA250.gif

ColumbusGuy dapped this.
  4. OckyDub

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    No for real...

All the gay outlets are reporting..."Dad Kills Son because He's Gay" yet no proof of this exist. Only the word of a former foster mom.

Yo truth in journalism is important and facts are important.

5. Dreamwalker

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Sooooo if you had to guess. Why do you think this dude shot and killed his 14yr old son in cold-blood. Freedom from child support? Anger issues?......Self-defense....
    CB8584AB-757A-41E5-8921-B9222AD977F0.jpeg

I’m open minded.

6. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Well she is saying a lot and it is telling. Why would she lie about a history of abuse and part of the argument being about his sexual orientation? Yeah we have to get more facts but right now it ain't looking to good for the 'father'. Why would she make up something like this? It sounds like there is a history here, otherwise why would she say this if it can all easily be refuted by other relatives?

And yeah, we have not heard anything from the person who would really know-the dad-to refute this all, since he is almost assuredly still in police custody for, you know, killing his own 14 year old son.

Nobody is saying he said that....she said she thought it was 'inside of his mind' meaning he was probably thinking it. And if he was thinking it, you think he is going to come out and say it?...really?

So we have a former foster mother...and a murdering dad...who are we gonna believe between the two?

Also the word 'people' is used, not person as in one person as in the former foster mom.

#6 ColumbusGuy, Nov 5, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    Pacifistgod, I-Stay-Woke and Omega Level dapped this.
  7. OckyDub

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    Yo...look at what I originally stated...I clearly said...

"While my senses are telling me this may be true that doesn't make it fact. Regardless, shooting and killing your 14 yr old son is h.o.r.r.i.b.l.e"

Cypher Ave and The Boards is not a news organization. News organizations are reporting NON FACTS but assumptions...this is not journalistic integrity and they have a responsibility. This shouldn't be brushed aside simply because a "perceived" or "assumed" homosexual boy has been killed.

What if he, the son wasn't homosexual but just a soft or effeminate heterosexual boy?

Since when doesn't facts matter?

Are you all seriously questioning OCKY WILLIAMS on how I go HARD on issues that impact Black males and homosexuality....really?

8. Omega Level

Omega Level DRACARYS
    The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    I don't see anything completely wrong with what the news organization is doing.

From what I am reading, they are relaying the foster moms point of view. In quotes and everything. They keep saying, "Jones says" and even she is saying "I hear and Im sure". She isn't saying anything in the direct affirmative but just relaying what she believes as a direct connection to the family. I don't see anything wrong with that.

FUCK this father. Prison is too good for him.

9. Omega Level

Omega Level DRACARYS
    The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    The fuck! :dahell::snoop:

10. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    I agree. They are presenting her side, as her side, not 'the facts'.

Pacifistgod, OckyDub and Omega Level dapped this.
  11. Aejae

Aejae Socially Awkward Aejae
    The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    I mean..... wad it worth it? Dude kill his son because he's gay? I don't understand. I wonder how involved he was in his son's life, first of all. Can't believe this.

12. Kobalt

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Dating:
    Not looking
    The dad is probably a closet-case his damn self. It is sad what happened to Giovanni and hopefully, his killer will be brought to justice.