High school wrestler diagnosed with ‘mat herpes’

Discussion in 'Mental, Medical and Sexual Health' started by OckyDub, Mar 13, 2016.

1. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    [​IMG]
    A standout student athlete's bright hopes for the future have been dashed due to what he and his family believe are lax health and safety protocols. After participating in the Central Coast Section high school wrestling tournament at Independence High School in San Jose, Calif., on Feb. 19, 17-year-old Blake Flovin contracted herpes gladiatorum, or "mat herpes." Now, he and his family want this weekend's state wrestling championships to be postponed.

Blake recounts his experience to KTVU, stating that the condition first manifested as swollen lymph nodes near his left ear and escalated to a red rash that nearly took over the side of his face. He tells reporters he suspects the "mat herpes" was transmitted either through contact with another wrestler or with a contaminated mat. After doing more research, Blake and his family learned that the condition is far more common than previously thought.
    Each wrestler undergoes a skin inspection prior to each match, but Blake informs the San Jose Mercury News that some athletes resort to using makeup or Band-Aids to cover any lesions so that they can compete. Rick Flovin, Blake's father and assistant wrestling coach at Archbishop Mitty High in San Jose (where Blake is a senior), tells reporters, "It's widespread to hide the disease because of scholarships."

"It's sad," Rena Flovin, Blake's mother, tells KTVU. "It makes me angry that this was preventable." Blake adds, "The most important thing here is kids' health and that's my main message. Try and put that above everything else."

KTVU reports that the family is taking legal action to try to have the tournament postponed, but barring that, they simply wish to spread the word about the disease and the potential risks of transmission.

Dante dapped this.
  2. OckyDub

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    I would be sooo pissed off.

3. Discordant

Squad Leader The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    My roommate in college lost his scholarship due to this. Fortunately for him, his parents were rich and he was a senior. Very sad and very gross.

4. OckyDub

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    What you mean...because he didn't disclose before he participated in a match?

5. Dante

Dante https://www.gofundme.com/qv7v5dw
    The Great Debater The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    OMG! Absolutely CRAZY!

6. Discordant

Squad Leader The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    No, because he
    I'm not sure if he caught it and wasn't allowed to play because of that or if it's because he had an outbreak and didn't disclose it. I remember he was heartbroken, though.