Hillary Clinton Speaks ‘Directly To White People’ After Latest Police Shooting

Discussion in 'Race, Religion, Science and Politics' started by OckyDub, Sep 20, 2016.

1. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    [​IMG]
    Hillary Clinton spoke out Tuesday about the death of Terence Crutcher in Tulsa, Oklahoma, arguing that the epidemic of police officers killing unarmed black people should be recognized as “intolerable.”

On Tuesday’s episode of “The Steve Harvey Morning Show,” the former secretary of state and current Democratic presidential nominee said she wanted to speak “directly to white people” and let them know that “this is not who we are.”

“How many times do we have to see this in our country?” Clinton said. “In Tulsa, an unarmed man with his hands in the air. This is just unbearable. And it needs to be intolerable.”

“Maybe I can, by speaking directly to white people, say, look, this is not who we are,” she continued. “We have got to do everything possible to improve policing, to go right at implicit bias.”

Tulsa police released video on Monday of last week’s shooting. Crutcher, 40 ― afather and student who sang at church every week ― was shot and killed by a white officer after his vehicle stalled in the middle of a roadway.

View image on Twitter
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]Dan Merica

✔@danmericaCNN

Hillary Clinton comments on #TerenceCruthcher on@SteveHarveyFM: "How many times do we have to see this in our country?" ​

Video shows that Crutcher had his hands in the air, contradicting Tulsa police’s earlier claim that Crutcher had refused to keep his hands up. He did not have a weapon on him at the time.

The U.S. Department of Justice is investigating the shooting.

“I will just make this promise to you: We will achieve justice in this case,” Tulsa police Chief Chuck Jordan said Monday. “I want to assure our community and I want to assure all of you and people across the nation who are going to be looking at this: We will achieve justice ― period.”

2. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    Since I'm voting for her out of protest against a vote for Trump and since Obama didn't do anything about police misconduct or police brutality or anything meaningful or impactful about civil forfeiture....what is she going to do about it or what specific policy would she attempt to present?

jusrawb, Winston Smith and Jdudre dapped this.
  3. BlackguyExecutive

BlackguyExecutive Je suis diplomate
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Married
    I think one of the implicit problems that need to be considered is actually giving a shit about who is being elected Attorney General and District and State Attorney.

Most of these issues are local or state issues. It becomes important who the county prosecutor is and what their views are on policing. At the end of the day, all politics are local really. What could Obama do? It was State's Attorneys and District Attorneys who decided not to bring up charges. These people are often elected officials that get little notice.

Winston Smith and Jdudre dapped this.
  4. Sean

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Dating:
    Single
    I like how Hillary talked directly to White People on the Steve Harvey Morning Show---with it's millions of white listeners. lol.

I-Stay-Woke, SB3, jusrawb and 2 others dapped this.
  5. BlackguyExecutive

BlackguyExecutive Je suis diplomate
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Married
    It is actually a smart move. Now more mainstream publications and organizations are going to pick it up because Steve Harvey has a majority black audience. Although his TV show is nationally syndicated.

Jdudre dapped this.
  6. Sean

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Dating:
    Single
    I was being facetious--in part. And I don't necessarily think it was a smart move as far as white people are concerned. White folks already don't like her, now this is more reason to not like her more.

Winston Smith dapped this.
  7. Winston Smith

Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    (THUNDEROUS ROUND OF APPLAUSE)
    If I had the keys to CA, I'd give you 10,000 gratuitous daps.

I suppose my current cynicism about politics extends from the point that I realized exactly what you just stated as a teenager, thus my frustration with the vapidity and puerility of the American voters' minds. There is too much emotion in reactions to these events, not systematic, deliberate actions, which will not happen or change things overnight; but, if well planned and consistent, over time could bring massive results.

American voters, including black folk, expect national/federal candidates and elected officials to be magical dictators who can move the many layers and strands of law and jurisdiction--- which includes federal state county and this law and structures of governments---with a magic wand wave of their hand. This is fundamentally the appeal of Donald Trump to people who have absolutely no clue about how long politics or civics actually works; as well as numerous so-called black leaders and organizations that love protests, news cameras and press conferences, but don't want to do the unsexy, get-in-the-dirt work of organizing locally GOTV campaigns and THEN steadily monitoring and planning for change from the local level going up, not the other way around.

Now going to Secretary Clinton's remarks, on one hand I see it as pandering to the Steve Harvey audience as @Sean points out, which isn't very hard to do as white politicians do this all the time at black churches, etc. The problem isn't that "white people" are doing this as some amorphous mass of beings who all are shooting unarmed black. I can see the Trump people picking up the quote and running like hell with it. As a former senator, secretary of state, and attorney that knows how the various courts and jurisdictions in our country work, she would have been more powerful and more effective to not only state what she personally would do as president (things that a president can actually do in office), but also remind Steve Harvey's audience about the need to get out and plan and organize on the local state levels to make changes to police departments, civilian review boards and local and county sheriffs.

But a small part of me gives her credit for speaking in that manner. I think she was speaking to a certain apathy and inaction among many so-called white liberals and allies; "benign neglect" as Senator Daniel Patrick Moynahan once called it during the Nixon administration. You can't just sit back and, say oh that's such a terrible thing that's happening, that you need to get off your duffs and actually get involved yourselves and not just lip service to the events that are happening.

ColumbusGuy and Jdudre dapped this.
  8. Winston Smith

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Yep, waiting for the Drudge, Breitbart, and Fox News headlines in 3, 2, 1....

9. jusrawb

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    Mood: Less talk more action

I-Stay-Woke and OckyDub dapped this.
  10. Jdudre

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    What makes you sure she's not acting some times not taking an action is your best form of action look at it this way most people hate her it does not matter what she does even now with everthing trump is spewing most polls have then being close by +/- a few points.
    So if she goes out their and starts to spew right along side him or says she's going to this and that it may have the oppiste effect or lead a lot of people that are on the fence to jump ship to trump or not to vote at all.

11. jusrawb

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    Honestly my comment wasn't only speaking about her but more so with politicians period. I'm just frustrated that these speeches are just providing hope but nothing ever happens. Since this post is about HC comment, what is her SPEAKING directly to white people going to change? That's like putting a bad azz kid in time out and expecting for them to change their behavior. How do I know her making a comment is just the politically correct thing to do since she is running for president? So I'm tired of the statements being made by people that are in positions to actually do something (action). Correct me if I'm wrong but your saying maybe she shouldn't do anything because it can negatively effect her chances? To me that's BS, I want a president that fights for what they believe in regardless of the consequence. I think the situation in America right now is way more important than worrying about polls IF she even really cares that much.

Jdudre and Winston Smith dapped this.
  12. Winston Smith

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    I feel your pain (Clinton voice). I guess it doesn't bother me as much, because (a) I was a legislative aide in college so I know all politicians, regardless of party, are assholes, (b) luckily I was schooled as a youth in Booker T-Marcus Garvey-Elijah Muhammad economic nationalism so I don't expect shit from government in general anyway (even though I work in the public sector lol).

This is why we need more black folks with technical skills OUTSIDE government: sciences, statistics, engineering, business and technical law (NOT more goddamned civil rights or govt attorneys), global business. If Rwanda can bootstrap itself past post-genocide into African technology hub status, with absolutely NO fucking help from the US (fuck you Bill Clinton), the UN, or major business, then we as black Americans, with more economic and educational resources than landlocked Rwanda, need to do the same. That's why I'm so forgiving to the black gay web series, with all their sound and clunky direction troubled; at least these cinematic bootstrappets are trying, much like Robert Townshend and "Hollywood Shuffle" in the 80s.

Politics and legislation ain't shit without independent economic power bases and institutions to force change. That's why I've always been lukewarm toward MLK, the CBC and elected black officials. They encouraged black folks---unlike the leadership of Asians, Jews, and others---to put all our economic and political eggs in the integration basket and look where it got us: still fighting for basic human rights in 2017.

jusrawb and Jdudre dapped this.
  13. Jdudre

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    What I'm saying is that she is a politician running for president of a multicultural/ multiethnic/ multi a lot of things population and for her to get the most votes she has to walk a fine type rope. It's best for her and the rest of us if she gets elected to president but if you look around you people don't like her what do you think would happen if she went off on then? is it fair no life is not fair at all but it's the situation she and we are in we have to live with it for now.
    Second as people have pointed out the problems facing not only American but the rest of the world are mutilifacited it's going to take more then "one" president and certainly more then one lifetime to fix them
    I never said she was not taking action sometimes the best form of action in not to take an action. Again if you look at the polls and other date she is not liked her ideas are not liked it's the same thing with president Obama and "Obamacare" even though a lot of his ideas where sound and I do believe that after the fact many people are going to benefit from them when he proposed them they fought him on it. People are afraid of change and not just white people but everyone including the people that what and need the changes the most

14. Jdudre

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    That is it in a nutshell but a major problem with that from going through the system is that there scared, beaten down, and don't have the proper resources in place to help them and I'm not just talking about money am talking about the human aspect too. I can remember in health class a teacher was giving a lecture on poverty, pregnancy, and abortion. I swear every word out of her mouth was poison and the worst part about it their was this girl in the class who looked like precious from the movie. I looked at her as this woman was giving this lesson and you could see this girl just crumbling because dear god in her minds eye that was her and she was no good because of this one person hatred of herself (the teacher had other opinions about women especially the poor ones)I don't know what happened to the girl afterwards but it's just an example of why its so hard to get black ppl to move forward in life almost at every corner there is no real refuge and nobody can move on with out one you are constantly attacked from within and the outside

15. Winston Smith

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    That was great you were empathetic to that young lady's uncomfortableness at such a young age. Good leaders should have empathy.

16. Jdudre

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    It was kinda hard to miss even my obliviousness has its limitations