HIV epidemic afflicting Georgia, the South: A ‘public health emergency’

Discussion in 'Mental, Medical and Sexual Health' started by Nick Delmacy, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Nick Delmacy

Nick Delmacy is a Verified MemberNick Delmacy Da Architect
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    [​IMG]

http://www.myajc.com/news/news/stat...-afflicting-georgia-the-south-a-public/nn7n6/

SB3, Nigerian Prince and ControlledXaos dapped this.
  2. ControlledXaos

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    What I got out of this article was that regular testing would have avoided his health problems. I just don't see how people let things go this long without getting checked out.

If you are regularly sexually active, you should be getting regular STD tests.

SB3, Nick Delmacy and Nigerian Prince dapped this.
  3. Nigerian Prince

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    One of the reasons I have been SCARED to have sex smh.

Desh92, mojoreece and Nick Delmacy dapped this.
  4. ControlledXaos

Daps Received:
    I used to be like that.

While I'm not scared of having sex, I'm not very sexually active especially when compared to peers. One would the I was a prude. I'm fortune that the majority of the sex I've had was during the course of relationships. I have had hook ups, most people have but I have gone at least two periods in my life where there were 1+ years of no sex. I mean no sexual contact at all. Then I have gone for 2-3 months. I think I usual make up for the missed opportunities when I'm booed up.

I understand where you are coming from however.

SB3 and Nick Delmacy dapped this.
  5. Dante

Dante https://www.gofundme.com/qv7v5dw
    The Great Debater The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    I agree. The reason why a lot of people (especially men) don't go to see a doctor or walk into a clinic is because of the "If I don't see it or feel it, it doesn't exist" syndrome. It's like doctors are ghosts when you are in that frame of mind. And for a lot of men (regardless of sexuality), they dare to go to to doctor for a prostate or colorectal exam fearing that having a finger up the butt would be seal confirmation of a rape/assault on their "manhood"...smh. 8 years before my father was diagnosed with Stage 4 colorectal and prostate cancer, he was told about having the diseases at their early stage. He ignored it. And I feel that was the way his thought process was in general with his health. He even ignored his testicle hernia, also for many years. His experience alone has made me very aware of making sure that I get annual physical exams as well as any testing needed to determine where I stand with my overall health. Shit, I got my first prostate exam at 27 with no fear. And as a versatile top for the sake of health management, I have no problems bending over and giving up the booty for that at all. And I'm going to get one every year starting at age 35. The sad thing is that there was one older man who was with me and he probably was forced to get the exam either by the doctor or his wife. It's even sad that the number of men getting that exam (and other exams in general) isn't increasing either.

In the community of our peers (gay or bisexual, out or on the DL/in the closet), it's sad HIV statistics are continuing the painful stigma we face daily. I've even ran across a few guys who have STDs and bravely advertise that they only engage in raw/bareback sex. R U KIDDING ME? I LOVEEEE sex and I craze for it all the time. However, I have no problem using my right hand to avoid being a statistic.

ControlledXaos dapped this.
  6. ControlledXaos

Daps Received:
    I'm still baffled that there's as many people as there are who want to have raw sex but not taking the more responsible routes to engage in it or not being selective in their partners.

I just think we know too much about HIV for it to still spread at the rates it does.

And the point about men not going to the doctor and ignoring things is one of HIVs best weapons. It's pretty tame in that you have no immediate problems. So people go for a good among of time before they realize things are going wrong.

SB3, Nick5 and Dante dapped this.
  7. BlackExcellence

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    I think HIV treatment has been a victim of it's own success. As HIV is now more akin to a chronic disease people just aren't as afraid any more.

ControlledXaos dapped this.
  8. ControlledXaos

Daps Received:
    People are not afraid of acquiring it. They are just afraid of knowing that they acquired it and the reduction of potential sex partners who would not have sex with them if said partners knew they were positive.

9. acessential

Squad Leader Best Thread Creator The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    You should definitely use that fear to protect yourself, but also keep in mind that in comparison to other diseases, HIV is actually difficult to transmit. As long as you protect yourself, you should be fine.

10. Dreamwalker

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    True but like any chronic condition you still have to afford the medication. You'll be dependent on a drug for the rest of your life and at the mercy of a pharmaceutical company. I'll never believe there is such a thing as a "magic pill." Every year there seem to be new reports of miracle drugs that have ended up having horrible side effects down the road.

What Can You Do If You Can't Afford Your HIV/AIDS Medicine?

HIV Drug Price Increase Brings 'Price Gouging' to the Forefront

11. Kouncelor

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    We need to operate and live out of a place of knowledge and not in a place of fear.. because that is not living. I did a little quick reasearch. My understanding is that there in the south (Atlanta):
    -routine HIV testing is not offered in the places where most people get their health care. By the time patients are diagnosed in Atlanta, almost one third have advanced to clinical AIDS.
    -Atlanta is said to have the highest income gaps between rich and poor, and many whose income is below the poverty line do not have access to health insurance.
    -Georgia has among the highest rates of uninsured residents in the United States, and has rejected Medicaid expansion under the Affordable Care Act.
    Also, you have to remember that Atlanta is one city that is still in the south where there is still a prevalence of "old fashioned" mindsets., so while is education and medication available, I am sure that the message is not being spread as in other cities.

12. ControlledXaos

Daps Received:
    But there's free HIV testing. They advertise it on the radio. Every gay/Pride function usually has a booth for it.

This things are offered to the horses. If they don't drink it... That's on them. Even if you can't get a test every 3 Months, I'm pretty sure some one is advertising free hiv testing at least every 6 here.

I just think most black people don't want to know or do not think they have done anything to actually acquire it here. Granted I have only been here a short time but I have noticed the availability of testing and not even looked for it. It's just causal observation.

13. Kouncelor

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Remember that you do have an awareness to it...probably already did. There is also a socio-cultural phenomenon in Atlanta that is not easily explained. Yes, by all iindications, it is a pumping urban center with so many resources, however:
    1. Just because Atlanta is a "Gay black mecca" does not meen the cultural normatives of the South go away.
    2. When you leave Atlanta proper, where are you? Still the deep south.
    3. The HIV/Aids crisis is increasing/impacting teens, who by their very nature make poor decisions.
    4. Kids are more aggressivly very engaging in higher levels of sexual activity, and are increasing levt to their own devices (reduced parental guidance/supervision)

Given the time, I would love to study related data/surveys.

14. ControlledXaos

Daps Received:
    That's all well and good but I really think there's some head in the sand mentality towards HIV. II agree that black people and really,people in the south, conservative Christians, do a lack luster job of sexual education. Patents too prudish to talk about it. Not saying anything about it until the "I got hair down there" topic comes up when sex ed really starts the moment kids ask about the difference between boys and girls.

Age appropriate at each step. Then the sex ed that is done in school isn't comprehensive or abstinence only. None of which is as effective.

Parents wait too late and don't want to talk about it. Add in single parent homes and "don't brang no babies up in my house" and they leave it at that.

Hell folks, kids, teens and adults, have cell phones and the Internet usually so if you want to be educated, you can. If you don't you really don't have much of an excuse.

Adults have to start taking responsibility of their own health.