How Much Time Should One Spend in the Gym?

Discussion in 'Gym and Workouts' started by Nigerian Prince, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Nigerian Prince

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    Hey everyone,

If you are trying to lose weight like I was earlier this year, I had no idea about how much time I should spend in the gym and I did not have a large knowledge base about what I should be doing. I think that what worked for me after having a personal trainer for three months was to spend no more than 30 minutes to 60 minutes in the gym. Research shows that spending more than one hour in the gym reduces the body's capability to provide energy for a good workout. The most important thing is when you are spending even as little as 30 minutes in the gym, you should make sure that the workouts are at a good level of intensity. I know for me that when I am lifting weights in the gym that I like to make sure that before I lift that I do sprints or some form of high-intensity interval training first for maybe 5 to 10 minutes in order to get my heart rate up. After my heart rate is up, then I go and hit the weights for the rest of the time that I am there. For example my workout may look something like this:

1st - *warm-up* sprints on the treadmill (incline of 8, speed of 11)
    2nd - weights (leg day)
    **Circuit #1**
    -> leg press (total weight of 230 pounds, 20 reps [per set] and 3 sets)
    -> alternating jumping lunges (15 on each leg)
    **Circuit #2**
    -> squats (65 pounds on each side of the bar, 10 reps [per set] and 3 sets)
    **Circuit #3**
    -> leg curls (120 pounds, 15 reps [per set], and 3 sets)
    -> double-pulse walking lunges (holding 25 or 30 pound dumbbells and make sure I have a good distance while doing them, 3 sets)

With each circuit I do, I rest for maybe a minute between them. Then in each circuit, I may do each exercise back to back (supersets) or I will do something like rest for no more than 20 to 30 seconds. It is important to keep the intensity level during exercise because if your rest periods between each exercise is too long then your metabolism will drop and your heart rate will drop leading to less calories burned and less muscle gained during your workouts.

Do any of you have any exercise tips? Where are you in your weight loss and/or muscle gain journey? Drop some knowledge!!!

Rah Brown and Cyrus-Brooks dapped this.
  2. bisonboy

The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    I have a personal trainer that I have been with off and on now for 3 years. I lack a lot of discipline when it comes to my personal life. One day I will eat right and exercise right. The next I will try to do the same thing, but add something extra that I shouldn't. As far as exercising I need to decrease the time I spend in the gym. I tend to get distracted by either my phone or the beautiful men and lose the energy after a certain point to keep my workout going strong. If I have been doing well with eating properly and my supplements then I may have a shorter workout. I know now that I will be going back to work, I am going to have to decrease the time it takes me to workout.

3. Nigerian Prince

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    There are articles I've read on the internet about how to find motivation. I know that having a personal trainer was the best thing to get me in the right place to be focused and really know what to do when I go to the gym. As far as dealing with your phone, maybe try keeping your phone in a locker? As far as the men, try going when barely anyone is there during the early morning or possibly very late at night. Maybe those things could work if you try them.

As for the workout time, yeah focus more on intensity of the workouts instead of making the time too long. All the best bro!

4. bisonboy

The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    I will give these tips a try. Thanks bro and good luck to you as well.

5. Nigerian Prince

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    No problem man!

6. ControlledXaos

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Intensity of your workouts is key too. If your goal is to lose fat, you should be breaking a sweat.

One good way to judge that is if you could barely hold a conversation while on the treadmill or elliptical, you are where you are supposed to be on the intensity level. Ask your self how many times you've see a female on the treadmill who is 'walking cute' but hardly breaking a sweat. She's probably doing okay but would be getting faster results by kicking it up a few notches.

For weights, try to increase the weight you lift every time you are there. This is where the little 2.5lb weights come in to play. You don't always have to jump up 5, 10, or 20 lbs. Better to lift with good form than your ego which I see all. The. Time. Like, if you are doing 5 sets of 10 of an exercise, by the time you make it to the 7th rep of the 5th set, you should be barely able to make those last 3 reps.

What you eat and don't eat is also key. Probably the most important because you need the fuel to get you through your workouts but at the same time, you can't out excersice that pack of honey buns. You can still enjoy a honey bun or a half of one, but just can't get crazy. That's me. I LoVe CaRbs! So I have to be weary of pasta, bread, cookies.... my body responds better to proteins. But if I eat too many carbs and sugars....fat. That's where I am now.

I use my phone to plan my workouts before I go to the gym and track my work as I go so I can see how I compared to the last time. This is where what I mentioned earlier about reps and sets. I also use it for music. I can understand not wanting to be without it. Putting your phone in Airplane Mode could help by disconnecting you from the outside world. While I don't mind the eye candy at the gym, for every piece of eye candy there are 6 eye sores so...I get over that real quick.

alton, Nigerian Prince and bisonboy dapped this.
  7. SB3

SB3 is a Featured MemberSB3

Daps Received:
    The bigger point is to JUST GO! Peeling urself off of the couch n away from the chips n getting dressed n leaving the house to get to the gym is the hard part. Once ur in there, good shyt happens! Listen to ur body n decide whether its a 1/2 hr run day, a 1 hr specific day, or a 2 hr combo day.

The most important part is getting there! After that, u get in the zone n feel sooo much better afterward.

Nigerian Prince and Infinite_loop dapped this.
  8. Infinite_loop

Infinite_loop Is this thing on?
    Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    SGL
    This. All this advice is wonderful and helpful, but the key is to just get off your butt and go. Doesn't matter if you exercise for 10 minutes, walk cute on the treadmill, bench 300 lbs . If you go every day and do a little bit. it adds up

SB3 dapped this.
  9. Dante

Dante https://www.gofundme.com/qv7v5dw
    The Great Debater The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    Great information from you all. Noted.

Nigerian Prince dapped this.
  10. sekou

sekou I be Jamaican
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    FITNESSSS!!!!!!! : video below on what is fitness

HOW TO LOSE WEIGHT & SHED BODY FAT TO GET RIPPED

remember record record record, have a log book, cheap cheap prep school note book, record your workout, your weight and food you eat. everyday.

THIS IS THE BEST METHOD FOR ACHIEVING YOUR GOAL>>>>>> ONLY METHOD

FOOD!!!!!!! most critical
    in fact weight loss / fitness is 70% food and 30% exercise.

calculating how much calories to eat to eat

he brakes it down further here, this can be watched later:

part 1

part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_763800&feature=iv&src_vid=86irqiY7lpk&v=fa1DOQ2r5MQ
    same dude's channel : good recipes with calorie and machro - nutrient breakdown for each meal.

leanbodylifestyle

his old channel:

leanbodylifestyle

BUILDING MUSCLE

the only way to build muscle is the bulk what is that , calorie surplus. : as seen in these:

AVERAGE JOE BULK

BODY BUILDER BULK:

LOSING WEIGHT / looking RIPT
    caloric deficit.... ( energy in {food} is less than energy out {exercise} )

from what you have recorded in your LOG BOOK reduce this amount by 500 calories a day.

REMEMBER 3500 calories (500 calories X 7 days a week) is 1 pound . This is the recommended weight loss for a person.

as seen in the FOOOOOD SECTION ABOVE!!!!!!

Cheat meal

Every now and then...... treat yourself to a cheat meal/ or for some cheat day. these vary from person to person but everyone needs a break from dieting as seen below

The good guy lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbGg4RDZx78

FUNNY VERSION

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LygP1h9GH-M
    Body builder 1 lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE7YlUm4u0I

CARDIO!!!!!! what is it Used for
    when do you need cardio:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxuU8862U54#at=97
    Cardio does not build muscle it is a tool to increase your energy output, to put yourself further in a caloric deficit. video below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5K8qh4cIgc

best time for cardio :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zYKd-6NodQ

WORKOUT CHANNELS

TWIN MUSCLE WORKOUTS:

funny and informative they have 3 channels 1 for jokes, one on fasting and the last for workouts

channel 1

http://www.youtube.com/user/twinmuscleworkout

channel 2 intermittent fasting (this is a eating guide, not for everybody)

http://www.youtube.com/user/fastingtwins?feature=watch

channel 3 ;} funny stuff

http://www.youtube.com/user/askhodgetwins

MATTHEW OGUS - Legends of Aesthetics

good channel for bodybuilding know how

Matt Ogus

body building know how channel

Physiques OF GREATNESS

THE BEST WORKOUT CHANNEL:

they good for workouts and training..... watch all of there stuff good knowledge as well as workout tips and programs

PhysiquesOfGreatness .

FURIOUS PETE

Good stuff on this one motivational and some workout and food stuff

Furious Pete

his motivational video

ELLIOT ......

excellent know how on the body and bodybuilding although he is a power lifer, which is fundamentally different to a degree.

http://www.youtube.com/user/strengthcamp/videos

GOOD LUCK

Nigerian Prince and Nick Delmacy dapped this.
  11. Nigerian Prince

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    Awesome! Thanks for Posting! I am an active watcher and follower of Chris Jones on POG and I also follow (Big) Brandon Carter. I am focused right now on shedding 5 to 10 pounds of body fat so that I can get closer to being shredded for next summer.

12. JodyBell87

Squad Leader The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    It really depends on what you are doing in the gym and what your goal is. I weight lift and sometimes incorporate cardio at the end of my workouts and do abs before I leave. Leg day can be intense and I need rest in between machines. I can be so into my workouts that a planned 1hr workout can knock at the 2hr door. It really depends on what you wish to achieve. I don't believe in going to the gym for 30 mins. That's just not enough time.

13. ControlledXaos

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Intensity > total time spent.

15 minutes of Hill Sprints are more intense than 30 minutes on a treadmill. However most people are not in conditions enough to make changes with that but it in good first maintenance or if you literally don't have a lot of time one day.

I also like Barbell complexes and usually do a few rounds of one and then get on the Elliptical because you'll he burning more calories than just the Elliptical alone preceeding it with a complex.