I am a gay black writer, but

Discussion in 'Group Discussions' started by Boaxy, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Boaxy

Boaxy SO FIERCE
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    I don't even think I've mentioned this before on Cypheravenue, but as of last summer, I am now a writer/author. I mean I've already wrote since I was little, but it wasn't until last summer that I decided to be serious with my daydreams, and turn those daydreams into stories, and finally start writing.

I think there aren't that many gay black writers out there publishing stuff nowadays. Like iconic James Baldwin from way back in the day lol. But I know Lee Daniels is one, Julian Winters (who he just published his first story) is another. Bah.

But anyways, I just finished my first ever novel recently, where this video I explain more about it.

I really want to get that story published soon, in the coming months, and I'm currently working on my next story.

So the issue is, being that I am black and gay, I guess you would assume for my stories to be centered around black/afro centric issues, and black gay issues. Not quite. Or at least not the stories I have currently planned.

I tend have a bunch of LGBT thriller/dramatic/mature storylines with some dark comedy elements and romantic subplots.

However the majority of my characters are Caucasian men. I do have many black gay men in my stories, and Asian gay men and guys of other cultures and ethnicity, but most of my protagonists are Caucasian men.

I do have one non LGBT story idea centered around an African American female, and there are some side plots that deal with racism and injustice that many black women deal with in the world, but that's about it.

I just wanted to know how do you guys feel about this, because I feel at the end of the day, I'm going to write what I want to write, and this was something I wanted to let you guys know that I am a writer, and I'm sort of glad I'm able to finally do something that makes me happy in the world, and write stories that have been in my head since I was in High School and when I was young. So, that's all I wanted to share and discuss.

Winston Smith dapped this.
  2. Winston Smith

Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Don’t feel the need to be “the black gay author”, write subjects and characters that feel natural and authentic to you. You mentioned Baldwin, who wrestled with this himself. He took a lot of shit for publishing “Giovanni’s Room” as his second work, instead of another “black” novel. Zora Neale Hurston also took shit for being idiosyncratic. Be yourself, just continue to improve your craft. As Malcolm Gladwell observed you obtain mastery after 10,000 hours of doing something; so write what you feel just keep writing.

:salute:

Boaxy dapped this.