I don't generally get jealous but my husband thinks I should...

Discussion in 'Dating and Relationships' started by BlackguyExecutive, Mar 29, 2016.

1. BlackguyExecutive

BlackguyExecutive Je suis diplomate
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Married
    [​IMG]

I regularly attend social functions with my job, like several times a week. They can be range from black tie galas to small more intimate gatherings at an associates house. I usually invite my husband to attend because he can help me work a room and he quite personable that people tend to gravitate towards him. One of the issues that comes with being a diplomat is that your work becomes a family affair.

I recently got into a little bit of an argument (nothing major) because I didn't save my husband from being flirted with, this is actually something that I secretly enjoy, I like watching people talk and flirt with him and I like how he plays it up and down. Before, I get the side eye comments, I do think there is a difference between harmless flirting and disrespect. I think it is harmless when unsuspecting women and men hit on him. There is a difference when someone knows he is a married guy and still tries but that is not what I am talking about here.

A few nights ago we attending this meeting at a restaurant where I was making local contact with my French counterparts and I was sitting at a small table while my husband was chatting up some local and ex-pats (Americans living in a foreign country). People talk really closely in French culture so I look over and there is a gentleman that is greeting everyone and giving bis (peck kisses) to everyone. Usually you only do it with women, if you are a man and women and men if you are a woman. So when the man went in, my husband was just thrown off and probably offended. I looked over and he seemed fine. We actually have a signal that we use if he needs help, he didn't signal and I didn't think twice. Later that evening he was mad that I didn't save him and said that "I could get jealous a little more." What are your thoughts? Do you think there is a point in getting jealous over nothing, particularly when you have a secure relationship and mutual understanding with your partner?

[​IMG]

grownman dapped this.
  2. ControlledXaos

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I don't see a point in getting jealous. I think if you have a system and he was bothered and uncomfortable, be should have hailed it.

[​IMG]

I think if your relationship is good, secure, and stable, there is no problem with entertaining harmless flirting. People still like compliments and to feel attractive to others. A relationship/marriage doesn't automatically make you ugly or blind.

Tyroc and BlackguyExecutive dapped this.
  3. SB3

SB3 is a Featured MemberSB3
    Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Im w u! As long as theres no history of drama, lets not bother drumming any up.

4. BlackguyExecutive

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Married
    Exactly!! We are 30 year old attractive black men in a place where there really isn't a lot of black men, especially black American men. We were laughing today, that this is just the first tour of at least 10 if I make the Foreign Service a career, although I need to get Tenure first.

And True dat about the signal. LOL. I mean our signal is different from our Security Protocol so he will need to make things a little more clear or give off that rude American vibe. His husband is a diplomat, I think I can generally smooth things over if need be!!

ControlledXaos dapped this.
  5. Dante

Dante https://www.gofundme.com/qv7v5dw
    The Great Debater The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    Flirt, but:

[​IMG]

LeMignon, alton, Sean P and 1 other person dapped this.
  6. BlackguyExecutive

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Married
    EXACTLY!!! Don't get it twisted. There are boundaries.

[​IMG]

Dante dapped this.
  7. Dante

Dante https://www.gofundme.com/qv7v5dw
    The Great Debater The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    LOL! I know that's right!

Awwwww...I think that's so cute to be in a relationship and have mini, non-violent disagreements and stuff.

mojoreece dapped this.
  8. tigerbreaux

tigerbreaux Polymath In-training
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    IDK if jealous is the right term, more, territorial. Some people like to feel...claimed at times. I get it, kinda. If he was viably uncomfortable and gave y'alls singal, then I get it, may he did and you missed it. If not, it's a bit sensitive, but just maybe be more conscientious and appease him sometimes.

*Sidenote* It's very commonplace and customary for two me to bisous each other, if they're family or close friends. I've seen men bisous like 6 times. The more you do it, the more you care about the person. Don't see too many men do it to someone they've just met though.

9. BlackguyExecutive

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Married
    Actually I think you hit the nail on the head. It was not really about being jealous but territorial is a much better word. My husband can be a little more sensitive at times and I think I caught him in a moment. LOL. We are getting use to French culture though even with my culture training and prep it just takes time to get use too.

10. Sean P

Squad Leader The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    Big ups for Bon Qui Qui gif!

11. tigerbreaux

tigerbreaux Polymath In-training
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    lol hey, we all have out moments. French culture is definitely...unique! Living there it was really hard to tell who was gay sometimes because they are really in touch with their emotions, fashion and are unafraid to show affection toward one another. Also, there sense of time and laissez faire attitude about life is both endearing, and frustrating lol.

12. Tyroc

Tyroc Deactivated Account

Daps Received:
    I've always been of the old school British mindset of non emoting, keeping a stiff upper lip and handling everything with sarcasm.
    For me, the only way to properly display jealousy to a partner would be in private, while engaged in sexual congress.
    I think a little safe flirting is healthy for both individuals involved in the relationship.
    It sends the signal that you're attractive in some way, whether it's physically, mentally or spiritually to others or that you've got a good catch and one or all of those qualities are seen by others.

grownman and tigerbreaux dapped this.
  13. Discordant

Squad Leader The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:

Jealousy stems from insecurity so it's natural that you wouldn't get jealous since you two have a healthy relationship. But like tigerbreaux said, some people like that feeling of knowing their partner has marked their territory so to speak. I'm glad it didn't turn into anything more than a funny story for you guys.

14. Sean

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Dating:
    Single
    You are a diplomat. By definition, you kinda always gotta keep your cool about shit, and I imagine that you are in diplomacy in the first place because that's the type of person you are. You can keep your head, when everyone else is losing theirs. When you see there's harm and you need to go to war, you handle it. Otherwise, you take a moderate approach to things. So with your husband, I can see you not getting too worked up all the time because that may not be who you are.

HOWEVER, the question is, is your husband uncomfortable with having to play the flirt game--all the time? As you put it, you enjoy seeing him do that. But does he? All the time? And if he's a looker, I can really see how he'd get tired of advances because he probably gets it all the time. But here's the other thing, your husband is the spouse of public official...and not just any. He's a diplomat's spouse. I work in govt and politics and know for a fact that being a spouse can wear on an individual. Spouses want to be supportive and they sometimes don't let in on how stressed, anxious or tired they may be. I'm not necessarily saying that's the case with your husband, but I wonder if him questioning why you don't get jealous enough was more of, why don't you keep this from happening ALL the time. It probably gets old and that was his way saying, can you step in sometimes and give me a break? This is your job. He kinda has no choice but to play along, so you are the only one who can really intervene during any of those moments. And you shouldn't necessarily have to wait until he gives you the signal.

#14 Sean, Apr 3, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2016