In Defense of the Defenseless

Discussion in 'Group Discussions' started by Jai, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Jai

Jai Being strong minded.
    The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Asexual
    Dating:
    Single
    Once in college, I was walking to one of the buildings for class and noticed three black guys clustering around a white guy. One of the black guys seemed to be in some sort of Dragon Ball Z fit or whatever and he punched the white boy in the face and the white tucked his head down. There were other people around but they kinda just was looking. And from the distance it seemed like the black guy was mouthing off about something.

I found the display rather appalling & considered intervening despite them being bigger than I was, I'm only 5'5/135 (was pretty much the same at the time) and they looked 6'0+ basketball players.

However, I didn't and went to class. I felt a bit guilty for not at least trying to calm things down, though I didn't know the circumstances around the situation, it's still a little disheartening. I'm pretty sure if I ran over and pissed them off they'd probably sling my little ass across the field but still...

So if you were somewhere and saw a similar incident, would you intervene, or would you watch and then keep on trucking to your own intended destination.

Would you run to the defense of a stranger that may appear to be in trouble?

Have you helped anyone being bullied?

What happened? If you got beat up, don't lie and say you took out five dudes all by yourself.

Boaxy dapped this.
  2. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    Using the above example...no.

You have no idea what started this.

Many folk (Black and White) are tired of white supremacy foolishness on college campuses.

[​IMG]

However bullying is something completely different. I have broken up a many of fights in my day but in today's climate IDK.

Boaxy, jusrawb, takeyourmeds91 and 3 others dapped this.
  3. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    What difference does it make what race they were? For all you know it had nothing to do with race. It could have been just the same argument if they were all black or all white-not every fight or disagreement between people who happen to be of different races has to be about race. Just sayin'

And I might have tried to get other people involved or yelled something about calling the cops or something or yelled something from a bit of a distance, but intervene physically alone? Unless it escalated or I knew what it was about...No.

*and regarding 'white supremacy foolishness'-there is no excuse for physically attacking someone at a rally or anything-even if you don't like what they have to say. If I could listen to the Phelps Klan and 'Preachers' screaming about fags going to hell to a crowd on the Oval at OSU, then anyone can tolerate listening to anything from anyone without taking it to violence. Your animated GIF is disgusting @OckyDub

Why do people think that it is ok to physically assault someone simplyy because they do not like what they have to say? You should go to jail for that, for assault, no matter what you views or politics.

You fight speech with better speech, not with fists. smh.

#3 ColumbusGuy, Dec 6, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  4. Jai

Jai Being strong minded.

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Asexual
    Dating:
    Single
    Nigerian Prince dapped this.
  5. Cyrus-Brooks

Cyrus-Brooks is a Featured MemberCyrus-Brooks The Black Vulcan
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    In a Relationship

If you're asking my opinion about how to respond to neo-Nazis, neo-Confederates, Klansmen and other assorted white supremacists. I favor the direct action approach. These people can't be allowed to spread there ideology. Passivity in the face of genocidal racism will eventually lead to genocide of non-whites. They have to be countered with maximum physical force. I think those Antifa guys have the right idea.

Boaxy dapped this.
  6. Artistic Arsonist

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    Well, the only time I recall seeing someone get bullied was in 7th grade, and I didn't do anything. In fact, I laughed along with everyone else. At the time, I was on the verge of being bullied myself, so it was easier and felt safer (to me), to join the crowd.

As it comes to being a bystander, it's easy to say that we'd come to the defense of a bullied person because we easily recognize right from wrong, but it's not that easy. A huge factor is that, in most cases, we have no idea what's going on between the parties involved to even label the situation "bullying".

In movies like "Carrie" or "Precious", or when we see reports of kids like Phoebe Prince, it's easy to say we'd stick up for them because it's clear they're being bullied. We're basically omniscient when we watch those movies and read the news reports, because we know what their tormentors do on and off campus, what their home lives are like, and even how it affects them when they're completely alone.

In reality, we know as much as we see and hear, if we see and hear anything outside of what's going on in our own circles/lives.

Anyways, in situations like the one you described, I think trying to diffuse it would be best. However, you have to be well prepared to handle conflict.

Boaxy and Cyrus-Brooks dapped this.
  7. Jai

Jai Being strong minded.

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Asexual
    Dating:
    Single
    That's four!!

8. BlackguyExecutive

BlackguyExecutive Je suis diplomate
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Married
    The only Bible verse/line that I regularly attribute to myself is from the Book of Matthew 5:9 - Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

I guess I come from the school of thought that cannot simply stand for injustice. Nor can ignore bullying. With that being said, I do believe in justice and if you are a white supremacist or an asshole who deserves a swift punch in the mouth...an eye for an eye. With that being said, if everyone lived by the eye for an eye code the entire world would be blind or at minimum missing one eye.

I think as human beings we have a duty to be peacemakers, to respect one another's basic humanity. If you can play a part in helping someone else why wouldn't you do it?

[​IMG]

Boaxy dapped this.
  9. Nigerian Prince

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    I will never lay my hands on anyone but I would verbally diffuse the situation but if that doesn't work then I will do like a white woman would and call the police. I can't lay my hands on people because I have sh*t to lose like my shot at nursing school (and in the future, my nursing license).

Boaxy dapped this.
  10. takeyourmeds91

The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Yea, I don't do bullying. This bussboy tried to clown this homeless man when I was out at a restaurant a couple months back. I called the dude flat the fuck out; who are you to sit up there dehumanizing somebody else?

I was in the gym two days ago matter fact and it looked like this dude was being a tad bit controlling with the chick he was with...I hovered around to make sure it wasn't any funny business going on.

I don't like that shit at all.

....but at the same time, I pick my battles cus I also don't like to get my ass whooped by three niggas...I ain't no bitch but I ain't no fool neither lmao..on the real though, I probably would have hovered to see what was going on and then play my cards accordingly

Boaxy and OckyDub dapped this.
  11. Boaxy

Boaxy SO FIERCE
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    There have been instances to where I did step up and say something. Just as if I would like someone to help me as well.

Sadly, we have this "snitch" mentality, or this bystander effect, to where people don't want to help.

12. jusrawb

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    As far as fights go, if its a one on one 9/10 minding your own business is the best thing to do. Knowing the situation and/or the people involve is best. There are a few situations where I would intervene but even then if you don't know the situation you could be making a mistake. Physical advantages doesn't mean a thing, that smaller white guy could have did or said something that deserve that chin check. Just like when I see videos of when females continues to beat on a guy and he shows restraint and everyone around just watches but as soon as he defends himself people attack him. If your the type of person that agrees zero tolerance for violence then I suggest you call authorities every time, if not be prepared to get swung on too.

Boaxy dapped this.