Is it important or not important for your sexuality to be known at the workplace?

Discussion in 'Career, Work, Finances and Education' started by Dante, Oct 9, 2015.

1. takeyourmeds91

takeyourmeds91
    Expand Collapse
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I was just going to tag you for your experience. I've told a few of my classmates but I don't think it's something everyone knows; I also don't have a problem telling them straight up if they ask. My biggest issue is dealing with the folks that think they know something and do a lot of insinuating as if I'm trying to keep it a secret. It's not a secret but I'm not going to go out of my way either.

I've also been kind of concerned about residency. From what I hear, it's the norm to become really tight with your co-residents. If I don't tell them outright, they'll find out eventually but I also don't want to alienate myself when there's only a handful of us. I would assume the same is true in attending-land too.

Why does all of this have to be so difficult? haha

#36 takeyourmeds91, Mar 23, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    NikR dapped this.
  2. Rico

Rico
    Expand Collapse
    Showing brain 24/7
    Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    It's not a yes or no question, something personal that everyone has to chart for her- or himself, based on prevailing laws, office culture and employer. For example, though I supposedly work for an equal opportunity employer (public sector), the one openly gay young man (white) in our office just up and quit. No one outright said certain words or things to him (i.e. actionable speech under EEO), I saw how he was treated (how his work was structured and assigned) and the shit he was given to do compared to his pay grade peers. That he was surrounded by stupid black church heifers in our office couldn't have been healthy. I don't blame him for saying fuck all y'all and seeking greener pastures.

In that respect, I often see how, despite the anti-corporate rhetoric in this country, the private sector is WAY MORE enlightened on making LGBT folk comfortable and wanted in the workplace compared to government jobs where you have to put up with either white alt-right male assholes who are usually doing deviant shit behind the scenes themselves and torture gay/bi folk in the name of their fragile MAGA masculinity (usually law enforcement or military); or the stereotypical fat, loud-mouthed black woman at the BMV type coworker or supervisor.

BlackguyExecutive dapped this.
  3. BlackguyExecutive

BlackguyExecutive
    Expand Collapse
    They call me excellency!! Am-Bad-Ass-Ador!!!
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Married
    It is only getting worse. A lot of my LGBT colleagues are batting down the hatches and trying to ride out storms. Thankfully, many of my LGBT colleagues have highly specialized jobs that are essential to the good order and operations of the service. Although it seems that even people with those skills are being shifted arbitrarily. Most notably physicians who are supposed to be our healthcare providers in remote locations. We just have to ride out the storm.

Rico dapped this.
  4. Rico

Rico
    Expand Collapse
    Showing brain 24/7
    Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    Amen Brutha BGE, can I get a hallelujah?!!

Lol, seriously I saw them passive-aggressive this young guy to death. Luckily, he's super talented and his partner (he's married like you) is doing well so he was probably like, screw this, I got non-govt options.

Well this is the kind of link I usually serve up to DreG, but since you used the phrase here's our theme song (Sorry, Snoop Dogg, I prefer the original lol)

BlackguyExecutive dapped this.