Jussie Smollett Covers ‘Out’

Discussion in 'Music and Podcasts' started by redsai84, Jan 29, 2016.

1. redsai84

redsai84 For the night is dark and full of terrors.
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    so this is what Smollett had to say
    “I am a gay man with an extremely open heart,” he says, easy and assured until he’s asked to elaborate on what that means to him. “God, I’ve never had to talk about this, so I’m trying to find the words. If I had to label myself, I would label myself as a gay man.

With that said, I believe that love is the only thing that matters, and I would hope that anybody would leave themselves open — not to gender, but to love. I would hope that people would not close themselves off from what could be if, lo and behold, you meet somebody that just sweeps you off your feet, and you just can’t do anything about it.

[​IMG]

If we truly believe that we are born this way, then why do we try to stifle the way we were born? If I fall in love down the road with a woman, I’m going to love that woman.”

“I’m sure that those words will be misconstrued,” he says, because if there’s one thing he’s learned this year, it’s how easily that can happen. “But this is a conversation that deserves to be had, because we don’t all understand each other. You’re not going to tell me that loving someone is wrong. That does not mean that heterosexuality is not very real. It does not mean that bisexuality is not very real. It does not mean that homosexuality is not very real. They are all very real. But what I’m saying is, I am a gay man. I am a gay man. I am a gay man. I don’t know how many times I have to say that.”

so what are your thoughts? i always like dudes attitude he comes off as a humble and cool person.
    EXCLUSIVE: Jussie Smollett on How a Black Gay Man Can Save the World

2. Dante

Dante https://www.gofundme.com/qv7v5dw
    The Great Debater The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    He almost confused me with the " If I fall in love down the road with a woman, I’m going to love that woman.” statement. But I see it as him saying that love isn't about sexual or physical attraction and that it doesn't mean he is going to start sleeping with women, because I wouldn't be here for the gaybisexualgaybisexualgay, flip-flop, "I don't get into labels", "I'm doing me", Rachel Dolezal Theory...bullshit. We all love people, regardless of gender. It doesn't have to involve or deal with sex or sexuality, which is true.

But I get what he is saying. Plus, he's FINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and really cute in such a handsome and adorable way.

grownman, alton and redsai84 dapped this.
  3. redsai84

redsai84 For the night is dark and full of terrors.
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    [​IMG]

4. Nigerian Prince

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    I love what he had to say

5. NickAuzenneNOLA

The Great Debater The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Dating:
    Single
    I take it as he is open to love. That he has a clear identity but he isn't closed off to love coming from channels he wouldn't expect. As he said he's a very gay man but if he met a woman that he connected with in that way he would love that woman. People have to realize sexuality has never been and will never be black and white. Sure most of us go to our selected corners of identification but unless we have ran into every kind of man or woman there is is it really possible to say that we are unequivocally what we have self identified as? I don't think it's possible but I do understand the need for self identifiers.

#5 NickAuzenneNOLA, Jan 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
    Jdudre, Champagne Papi, Tyroc and 3 others dapped this.
  6. Dante

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    Cut the bullshit. We don't hear straight people, saying (especially men) "If I fall in love with a man, I will love that man...".

As a gay man, I LOVE women, especially my mother, sisters, nieces, and especially the woman who will be the future mother of my child. And I will always LOVE women. I'm not sexually attracted to them, which makes me gay and cancels out bisexual. Even if I was to fuck a woman, I would still be gay. LOVE doesn't have to involve sex.
    Gay people (not the bisexual men and women who identify as gay only because of the 60/40 rule: 60 pertaining to the same gender) should not be saying things like that , especially when people who are on the DL, in the closet, and are involved in sexual repairing methods and therapies are reading and listening. The whole "I'm gay, but...if...however" BS is destructive and doesn't help dissolve the heteronormative. As a gay or bisexual man, if you are out and vocal about sexuality, be blunt with no BS reservations and innuendos.

Sexuality isn't black and white. However, sexuality is what it is. Spaghetti isn't chicken, it's spaghetti.

#6 Dante, Jan 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
    Jdudre, Cyrus-Brooks, grownman and 4 others dapped this.
  7. NickAuzenneNOLA

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Dating:
    Single
    @Dante Whoa! What bullshit should I be cutting exactly? Nothing you said had anything to do with my comment on the issue. Fact remains that sexuality is not cut and dry for everyone. Everyone should be able to live their identity as they see fit as long as they are not harming anyone physically or emotionally I see nothing wrong with him or any others that believe as he does saying if they meet someone they connect with regardless of gender they would pursue it. Nothing in that invalidates LGBT people or the persons core identity. If most gay people have at some point in their lives solely and completely identified as heterosexual, even if some of that is because of the lack of acceptance, it's safe to say that people have the ability to connect with whom they chose if they choose. Not saying you can choose your core identity but certainly you can choose who you seek connection with if you want to. Also to your point that you don't hear straight men saying if they met a guy yadda yadda.... No it's not common that they say it but we all know that they act on it all they time! Many straight men have sex and even full fledged relationships with men and not always covertly they still self identify as straight. My point is that some people are love focused rather than solely gender focused and maybe Jussie is that type.

8. Dante

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    Thanks for elaborating on the BS. Everything I said validates it. You missed the point. Thanks @SB3 for the dap.

9. NickAuzenneNOLA

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Dating:
    Single
    No if there was something I didn't connect with enlighten me. It shouldn't get to the point that anyone is closed off to hearing another perspective. I'm open to learning yours.

SB3 and Nigerian Prince dapped this.
  10. Nigerian Prince

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
  11. Dante

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    For me, when I hear a gay man or woman, but gay man especially due to me being one and understanding a gay man at that put innuendos in their explanations with their sexuality, it's bothersome. It's like heteronormatizing their gay/gayness. For me and many gay and bisexual men
    but mostly gay men who had to and still have to deal with the societal pushback thus personal struggles of accepting their sexuality internally and then to put an S on their chest to fight against the stereotypes and phobic bullshit, Jussie's "If I fall in love with a woman..." statement makes it seem as to say "I'm gay, but please know I can turn it off and be straight if a woman comes along". If that's the next level in breaking the heteronormative, what have gay or bisexual men and women past and present been personally fighting for?

I understand the ideal reality of loving in its context, but to bring it all back to the heteronormative is problematic.

Cyrus-Brooks, Naythan and grownman dapped this.
  12. NickAuzenneNOLA

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Dating:
    Single
    I think we have to be careful with internalizing others beliefs. If he feels open to love regardless of gender but identifies at this moment as a gay man is that not possible? Don't get me wrong I understand it makes it seem like gay is a choice and you can turn it off and on at will which we all know isn't possible. However if you attach yourself to the idea of love and say hey I would ideally want to have this partner but if I connect with another I won't close the idea out I think that's forwardthinking. I think of pansexuals and how they believe. I don't know if I accept this is his path of not and I do believe it read like an amendment to his gayness and that's off putting but what if that's truly how he personally feels? That's him right? He doesn't represent the majority.

Champagne Papi and Tyroc dapped this.
  13. Dante

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    We have to end it there, because you really, really don't get it. Thanks!

Cyrus-Brooks dapped this.
  14. ControlledXaos

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I get what Jussie is saying but if he's not making himself available to women, his point is moot. I know there are plenty of women who would have sex with him if given the chance. So that's one way in for them but if he's not actively seeking or putting himself out there to date and have a relationship with a woman they don't get that chance.

Let's not forget, physically, we can all have sex with females but emotionally we may not be there for them if we are gay or id with being gay more. Just like if the last humans on earth were gay men and women, gay people would still populate the planet and not let humanity die over them holding on to their sexual identity. Plus the act of sex between the gay men and gay women doesn't even have to occur in this situation for humans to procreate.

I don't think Jussie is bi. I don't think he's closed off the door for women but let's not forget, he's on the popular show, is an actor and probably still needs to consider life after Empire ends. Gay actors are usually not cast as straight men and gay characters are usually not the feature in major productions.

Jdudre, grownman, Tyroc and 2 others dapped this.
  15. SB3

SB3 is a Featured MemberSB3

Daps Received:
    Dont be tryna drag me into this tennis match! Lol

But nah, I feel u on how everytime we turn around its a gay man talking abt 'fluidity' n 'loving the individual'. Im old enough to know to let Tom, Dik n Harry do them, as they see fit, but I def get ur point.

Also, keep in mind, he is on the #1 rated blk show, so dont think for a second that pr/mktg is exclusive of this.

16. Naythan

Naythan Lurker

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
  17. Champagne Papi

Champagne Papi is a Featured MemberChampagne Papi side-n*gga paralegal
    Most Comedic Player The 1000 Daps Club Best Gifs

Daps Received:
    [​IMG]

18. Champagne Papi

Daps Received:
    ....I'm not really seeing how you are connecting the dots in your thoughts.
    ........why is him saying "I'm gay, but...if...however" destructive and not helping to dissolve the heteronormative?
    ............how is it heteronormatizing their gay/gayness?

-There are over seven billion people on this planet, not everyone of them can be labeled....and some definitely fit in more than one.

-You know exactly why we don't hear straight people (especially straight men) saying that, "if down the line I fell...." line.

-Sexuality is sexuality, but sexuality isn't finite....while spaghetti isn't chicken, all spaghetti aren't the same and there are spaghetti out there that are barely spaghetti but care called spaghetti anyways.

19. Dante

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    Listen, I don't live in a "Everybody's Bisexual, Even A Little Bit/Even If You Are Gay, You Can Flip Flop At Anytime To Appease The Heteronormative" world, so there's no point in debating with you.

I'm sorry you can't connect the dots. I stand by everything I stated and there's no need to answer your questions, because I was completely clear on my point. People are entitled to see it as they choose.

Jussie made it clear that he is a gay man, which he didn't have to confirm in this interview, because Malik Yoba did that for him (diarrhea of the mouth). It wasn't needed to say anything else, which can easily be interpreted and perceived otherwise.

Cyrus-Brooks dapped this.
  20. alton

Squad Leader The Great Debater The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
  21. Champagne Papi

Daps Received:
    ....alright, thanks yeh. ;)