Kratom is going to be illegal..,but why? And I have never even heard about it.

Discussion in 'Group Discussions' started by ColumbusGuy, Sep 1, 2016.

1. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Kratom to join heroin, LSD on Schedule I drug list - CNN.com

Kratom to join heroin, LSD on Schedule I drug list

Beginning September 30, kratom will be considered a Schedule I drug, a substance that has "no currently accepted medical use and a high potential for abuse," the Drug Enforcement Administration announced today.

Other Schedule I drugs include heroin, LSD, marijuana and ecstasy.
    In this week's Federal Register, the DEA proposes designating the drug as Schedule I for up to three years. After that time, the status could be extended permanently. Up until this point, it has been considered a supplement, loosely regulated by the Food and Drug Administration.
    What is kratom?
    Native to Southeast Asia, the kratom tree's leaves have been used for centuries as an herbal drug by laborers and farmers. Today, kratom leaves are ground into pills and powders, and sold as a dietary supplement. It can be found in head shops and online. It's even made into drinks in some bars.
    When taken at low dosages, kratom can act like a stimulant, heightening alertness. At higher doses, kratom is a sedative, producing opioid-like effects that dull pain.

It has this effect because mitragynine and 7-hydroxymitragynine -- the active ingredients in kratom -- bind to the opioid receptors in our body, said Dr. Ed Boyer, a professor of emergency medicine at the University of Massachusetts Medical School, who has done a handful of studies on the substance. It's several times more potent than morphine, Boyer said, and "dulls pain very well. ... You can have very, very good analgesia."
    But unlike opioid drugs such as hydrocodone or heroin, kratom doesn't appear to slow breathing, Boyer said.

Federal agencies act on kratom
    In 2014, the FDA issued an import alert that allowed US Customs agents to detain kratom without a physical examination. "We have identified kratom as a botanical substance that could pose a risk to public health and have the potential for abuse," said Melinda Plaisier, the FDA's associate commissioner for regulatory affairs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So it is better than morphine and does not cause the respiratory depression that kills so many people on opioids and they are just going to ban it outright before knowing if it is really harmful or could be a useful drug?
    And I have never heard of it or got to try it. Great.

2. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Seriously I have never heard of this drug/supplement. Damn it sounds good. Why do I never hear of this stuff until it is too late? Can you get seeds to grow this tree or are they going to make the plant itself illegal too? smh.

If it has been used for centuries then wouldn't they know if it was deadly or really addictive or something? Wouldn't they be able to trace back a line of dead villagers and laborers going back centuries?

-Researcher: So do you know if people in the local villages have been using these leaves and have they had any problems with it?

-Villager: Oh yes, see those big mounds over there?-that is where we throw the bodies of the Kratom users when they die...so many that we just have great big pits-way too many for single graves.

-Researcher: O.K.!!!

#2 ColumbusGuy, Sep 1, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  3. alton

Squad Leader The Great Debater The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Hmmm...sound like the "Marijuana Ban" without the years long Smear Campaign, to me. They haven't figured out a way to completely control it/ make money off of it yet, so they want to ban it.

Jdudre and ColumbusGuy dapped this.
  4. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    #4 ColumbusGuy, Sep 1, 2016
  5. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    I love how the shitty Wikipedia article on this plant/drug says it caused five deaths, has done x and y, etc. but when you actually look at the study/studies they cite you see that they have twisted the studies, as in all the deaths were involving very large doses and other drugs besides this one or alterations of this drug, most of the other hazards involved very large amounts of the drug, and that use of naloxone is just a possible suggestion of possible treatment based on conflicting studies. smh.

Damn If I drink enough caffeine or take enough caffeine pills in huge amounts it could be fatal-guess they should ban caffeine.

*and this again show the dangers of the internet when it comes to factual content-just because an article says something and has a citation to back it up does not mean squat. The citation itself has to have proven merit and it has to be construed and quoted correctly and in the correct context.

@NikR Hey can you hook me up with some Kratom before it goes illegal? Any thoughts?

#5 ColumbusGuy, Sep 1, 2016