Macklemore's new song: White Privilege II

Discussion in 'Music and Podcasts' started by tigerbreaux, Jan 22, 2016.

1. tigerbreaux

tigerbreaux Polymath In-training
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    So, last night white rapper Macklemore released a new song called 'White Privilege II' Here it is.
    This song is a followup to his song 'White Privilege' that he released in 2009, here is that one.

I have many thoughts on this song, that I tweeted out earlier. I didn't feel like re-writing them, so I'll pate them here: (It's Twitter so you have to read from the bottom up.) What are yall's thoughts?

Mac2.JPG Mac1.JPG

ctforbes, Nigerian Prince and redsai84 dapped this.
  2. BlackguyExecutive

BlackguyExecutive Je suis diplomate
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Married
    I was just made aware of this song by this post so that how much Macklemore is on my radar but after reviewing both songs you linked, I think I would have come to the opposite conclusion you had. I don't necessary see Macklemore has a black apologist but someone who is expressing white guilt and shame, which I think is unfortunate because he doesn't really need to feel guilty about anything, even if he is a white guy in hip hop.

I think the point you made about Macklemore's target audience is the root of your argument. This song is not for black people, this song is for white people who buy Macklemore music. It is not a reflection upon the black persons experience but a dication of the white persons reality. Now, the real question is that do you think his white listeners are receiving the message?

I think Macklemore like any artist is taking action through the means he know best and that is rap music and that could be extremely powerful in many ways more so than marching or protesting or whatever. If Macklemore can reach a few teenagers and snap them into recognizing their level of privilege I think the song is a success. Does that immediately change the black struggle, no but it begins to break the cycles of white supremacy.

[​IMG]

ctforbes dapped this.
  3. tigerbreaux

tigerbreaux Polymath In-training
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    you know @BlackguyExecutive, I think I have the terms mixed up, I think I mean white apologist. Yea, that makes more sense lol. I get that the song isn't for black people, but it's a for white people apologizing TO black people. The apologies are tired, we need action. Like when he sent that text to Kendrick Lamar saying eh should've won the Grammy, that annoyed me to know end. Why are you telling Kendrick that? He knows that, we all know that. Just accept your award, and if you really feel a way about it, address the Grammy's. I guess my problem is that it seems like less of a call-to-action for white people, but more of the same "MLK is the way" "so sorry, now lets move on" type stuff.

But again, to your point, these kind of infuriating (to me) antics are needed because they may actually get the attention of those who actually needed to be paying attention. Calling people's attention to injustices doesn't inherently change anything, you have to actively seek change. Apologizing to the oppressed doesn't end oppression, because those people didn't oppress themselves and don't have the power to lift themselves from it. lol

ctforbes and Jdudre dapped this.
  4. Champagne Papi

Champagne Papi is a Featured MemberChampagne Papi side-n*gga paralegal
    Most Comedic Player The 1000 Daps Club Best Gifs

Daps Received:
    This is so f*cking funny! He's like those white people that go "white people be like" without noticing he's one of those white people. And the funniest part about this is that he decided to "RAP" about it.
    [​IMG]

ctforbes dapped this.