Man attacks gay Atlanta couple with boiling water

Discussion in 'LGBT News and Events' started by OckyDub, Mar 16, 2016.

1. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    [​IMG]
    Two young gay metro Atlanta men are recovering from serious burns after they were attacked by a disgruntled family friend who poured boiling water on them as they slept.

The attack caused second- and third-degree burns on the necks, backs and arms of Anthony Gooden, 23, and Marquez Tolbert, 21, and sent them to Grady Memorial Hospital. Tolbert was hospitalized for 10 days after the incident and Gooden was released on Friday, some five weeks after the Feb. 12 incident.

"We woke up to boiling hot water," Tolbert said. "I started screaming uncontrollably and I was pulled out of the house. We ran to the neighbors and called the police."

"We were just burning. My body was just stinging. It was like a really, really severe kind of stinging. I could hardly think straight," Tolbert added.

Tolbert (top photo) said that he and Gooden left work at a nearby warehouse at about 7 a.m. on Feb. 12 and went to the Alexandria Landing apartment in College Park where Gooden lived with his mom. The two regularly spent time at the apartment and often slept there overnight during the nearly six weeks they dated.

They were asleep on a mattress in the living room when Martin Luther Blackwell, 48, arrived. Blackwell was dating Gooden's mom but didn't live at the apartment. He spotted the two men asleep and attacked them, according to an incident report from the College Park Police Department.

Blackwell allegedly told police that he couldn't stand to see the two men sleeping together.

"They was stuck together like two hot dogs, so I poured a little hot water on them and helped them out," Blackwell told investigators. "They was stuck like two hot dogs. They'll be alright, it was just a little hot water."

Police arrested Blackwell (bottom photos) on two counts of aggravated battery. He remains in the Fulton County Jail without bond.

Tolbert said that prior to the attack, Blackwell seemed to get along with him and Gooden. A few days before the incident, Tolbert even drove Blackwell to a nearby Lowe's for some supplies, he said.

"He seemed like a normal person. I had no idea anything like this would happen at all. This caught me completely by surprise. I didn't know what was going on and I couldn't believe the pain I was feeling at the time," Tolbert said.

Tolbert said he's glad to see that Blackwell is being held in jail without bond.

"I wouldn't have felt very safe to know that he is out in the streets awaiting trial," Tolbert said.

[​IMG]

'I am taking it day by day'

A family friend of Tolbert's launched a Go Fund Me campaign after the attack to help raise funds to pay for medical expenses. Some 45 people have donated $1,280 to Marquez's Burn Recovery Fund since it was created on Feb. 28. Organizers hope to raise $30,000.

I have watched Marquez's mother suffer right along with him. When he came out to her, she told me that her son being harmed was her greatest fear. It's a shame that our society places that kind on fear in a parent's heart. It gives you a feeling of helplessness, and when it actually occurs, you lose hope. Marquez is home now, but has a long road to recovery. Through it all, he has remained strong and not disheartened by what has happened to him. I am so impressed by his character. He has been focused on healing, and in a way, has been holding up his mother.

The family needs immediate help with medical bills, and the everyday expenses of recovery such as prescription drugs and dressings for the burns. I and the family will be so grateful for any donation your heart compels you to give.

All donated funds will be used for medical bills, prescriptions, supplies, and everyday expenses such as rent and utilities. Marquez assisted his mother with home expenses. He had just started a new job, so he doesn't have work benefits.

Tolbert said he's thankful for the donations and help from others.

"It gives you that feeling that not everybody in the world is bad. I am just glad there are people out there that care enough that they want to help," he said.

With his recovery slowly progressing, Tolbert said he hoped to eventually return to work. The constant pain has given way to severe itching across the injured parts of his body.

"I'm still recovering but I am moving a lot more normally at this point. I don't know if I'm OK to go back to work yet but I am recovering quite nicely considering," he said.

"At this point, I am taking it day by day. I am getting a plan together because I want to go back to school. This incident has opened a couple of doors in my head for me. I have been thinking about the medical field and public speaking and helping those who have been through similar situations. Not everybody recovers as quickly as I do mentally and emotionally. I feel I could help somebody," Tolbert added.

ColumbusGuy, grownman and mojoreece dapped this.
  2. mojoreece

Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    I saw the pics of the burn spots its just a horrible situation. That's why for those with kids and are dating you have to really watch out who you bring around your kids no matter how old your kids are. Maybe this can turn into a positive. After the dudes recovery hopefully someone will give him a scholarship to go to college or something.

3. Tyroc

Tyroc Deactivated Account

Daps Received:
    What a sick piece miserable piece of excrement. He doesn't feel any remorse and sees no problem at all with what he's done.
    I hope in jail, he meets a couple of someone's who put multiple hot dogs in his unlubed buns.

ColumbusGuy, ControlledXaos and grownman dapped this.
  4. SB3

SB3 is a Featured MemberSB3
    Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    I don't even know what to say. I really hope they dont down play this crime and give this guy a slap on the wrist. Those burns are devastating. I had to open up the wallet for this gofundme.

Even though I 'know better' this is the kind of case that would make me literally want to kill this man if this happened to one of my loved ones. This is disgusting.

5. ControlledXaos

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I was going to say a lot but when I thought about it... What makes it okay for you to come into someone's house that isn't yours and start trying to regulate? That's the genesis of this whole ordeal. If he didn't like they were sleeping together, he should have brought that up with the girlfriend. It's her home, not his.

ColumbusGuy, Tyroc and Nigerian Prince dapped this.
  6. Nigerian Prince

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    Such a sad story

ColumbusGuy and Tyroc dapped this.
  7. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    This is disgusting and why we need that damn Equality Bill. If he did this to someone because of the color of their skin, he could face Federal charges. But as he did it because they are gay, there is no other action to be taken against him-action which could discourage these attacks that are motivated for no reason except hatred.

Neither College Park, nor Atlanta, or the State of Georgia has any protection or law regarding sexual identity hate crimes. If this had happened in Columbus within the city limits, he would be facing additional charges besides battery.

For Federal charges to apply(which has happened in Atlanta in an attack that happened in 2012), there has to be some part of the case that applies to Federal law or interstate activity. I don't think that applies in this case-and I think it applied in the other because they videotaped the beating and released it over the internet worldwide basically so it made it a Federal case?

Anyway these laws are needed for groups who are at greater risk because they are actually attacked for specific reasons like sexual orientation.

When are we going to demand equal protection under the law?

*Also in many of these cases the charges are plea-bargained down and the perpetrators get virtually nothing. If they also have to face Federal or Hate Crime charges their is a better chance of them actually getting a decent sentence.

Shit if I go to Atlanta and track down...ControlledXaos and say 'I am only shooting you because you are black' and then shoot him in the leg, I face battery charges, etc. and damn well will face Federal Charges for shooting him specifically because he is black.

But..if I say before I shoot him, "I am only shooting you because you are gay' then I will get the battery charges, etc. but Federal Charges? not likely. How is that right?

At the very least being that Atlanta is a black gay mecca and all the city should have an ordinance..hell even lowly Columbus has one.

I also think all I do on here is post unpopular shit. smh.

#7 ColumbusGuy, Mar 16, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  8. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    @ControlledXaos did you read this? Yo I got your back son.
    kobeb:rocks:

ControlledXaos and Tyroc dapped this.
  9. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    I honestly just scrolled up to see the first person who was from Atlanta- I knew there had to be at least one lol.
    And that is all the response that post warranted? lol.

Guess who my first choice was for an example of a gay guy living in Atlanta? It was not Nick.

I did rethink that choice though....

10. ControlledXaos

Daps Received:
    Wayment! Why come my name is in this drama?

:khart1:

11. ControlledXaos

Daps Received:
    I was gonna go on about internalized homophobia and religious holier than thouism but it all went back to... This isn't his house to be worried about what goes on in it and if he didn't like it he should have gone to his home...if he even had one.

I agree there should be more charges applied and I hate that he has zero remorse and thinks it's OK but he knew what he was doing. He intended on harming them. Why hot water instead of cold? Why not tap them to wake them up? But when I thought about those and other alternatives....this was not his home from the jump.

12. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Even if it was his home, he had no right to assault them in such a heinous way. He could scream at the top of his lungs for them to get out and call them whatever he wanted, but his house or not, he had no right to even threaten them, and certainly no right to physically assault them.

If somone is in your house and they are doing something you don't like, you ask them to stop and ask them to leave. You just have no right to assault someone because you 'disagree' with some harmless thing they are doing. If it was his home he would be facing the same charges. But yeah, it is even worse that he was just a guest as they were.

Sorry for using you as the shooting example lol. You were just the first one from Atlanta as I scrolled up the thread. I knew there would have to have been a response from someone from Atlanta-this place is crawling with y'all.

And would not be surprised if he did not have a house of his own to go to. I hope he gets a just and severe penalty-burning someone is just so horrific. How can you just dump boiling water on another human being?

ControlledXaos dapped this.