Many Voices: A Black Church Movement for Gay and Transgender Justice

Discussion in 'Race, Religion, Science and Politics' started by Jaa, Feb 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Jaa

Jaa
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    [​IMG]
    I and many others here aren't religious, but at least a few are. A lot of people have some kind of religious background. Many Voices was founded as an online resource center for Christians of color who were not served by the LGBT-focused programs of mainline Protestant denominations, and is now a Washington, DC-based organization particularly focused upon the LGBT of the black church. It's nice to see a religious group embracing rather than demonizing folks. An excerpt from their "About Me" page:

"Many Voices envisions a Black church and community that embrace the diversity of the human family and ensures that all are treated with love, compassion, and justice.

To fulfill that vision, we are transforming the inaccurate narrative that the entire Black church is negative.

We raise the voices of Black gay and transgender Christians who, despite rejection and condemnation, contribute so much.

And we equip and bring forward influential Black leaders to demonstrate that support for LGBT equality and justice is deeply rooted in the Black religious experience and entirely consistent with being Christian.

Once the narrative of a monolithic church has been repudiated, the silence will be broken, allowing space for a new, thoughtful dialogue about fairness, equality, and justice for everyone."

Many Voices | A Black Church Movement for Gay & Transgender Justice

grownman dapped this.