#MasculinitySoFragile

Discussion in 'Group Discussions' started by ControlledXaos, Sep 24, 2015.

1. ControlledXaos

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I found this article really interesting.

“Yeah, sometimes I wear pink shoes or wear cucumber melon deodorant,” Dremali said in his video. “That doesn’t make me any less of a man. It just means that I have ridiculous shoes and my armpits smell like a delicious salad sometimes.”

Why is #MasculinitySoFragile?

2. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    I think articles like this and the hashtag exchanges on social media, throws a bunch of issues into a pot, stirs it up and calls the dish "#masculinitysofragile. When you look at the issues, some have nothing to do with masculinity or femininity but masculinity is the scapegoat .

3. ControlledXaos

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Well I'm coming from the perspective that... Needing masculine q tips and bath scrubbers just seems a bit too much. I mean, regular q tips are not feminine or masculine so why did they feel like they had to market them as male products?

Dude wipes for example... You still wiping your parts with wipes. Putting dude on it isn't changing that fact. Lol

Hash tag movements can get quite convoluted though because once things start to trend it's hard to catch up when things head into different tangents.

4. OckyDub

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    Marketing to men and male to female sexual assault and violence should not be in the same conversation in my opinion. Not only were both in the article but are throughout the conversation on social media. Products that cater to women never morph into conversations about the frailness or ego of femininity. Some of the products are outrageous but just maybe some of these companies understand that men like to be catered to also, which has nothing to do with masculinity, ego or frailness.

5. tigerbreaux

tigerbreaux Polymath In-training
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    I somewhat disagree, while you're correct that female products don't cater to the "frailness" of women (a lot cater to ego), the majority of products advertised to men don't just cater to men in the sense that it has a non floral smell, but they explicitly play on masculinity and toughness and use terms like "real men" and somewhat bully you if you don't buy lol. Why not just market your product for how it can be beneficial or appealing to men without adding all the extra?

I do agree, however that some things get lumped in together just for the sake of conversation, but it all ends up coming full-circle when you seen some of the deplorable some of the dudes were responding with. Lets be honest, the male ego is VERY fragile and ego /pride are a hell of a thing. The minute a lot of men's masculinity is even remotely questioned or "threatened" it becomes a huge ordeal.

Jdudre dapped this.
  6. OckyDub

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    People have egos. People get defensive and react when they feel threatened or their individual person is questioned. That is not a masculinity thing...this is a somewhat natural human reaction.

7. tigerbreaux

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    Absolutely, ego is normal, but a lot of the things being brought up on social media were absolutely masculinity related. Not getting a rose gold iPhone because it's gay? Really?

acessential dapped this.
  8. OckyDub

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    So a man not wanting something he thinks is feminine makes his masculinity fragile? Which I think is a better question than does it make a man gay...like the article said is a dumb question.

9. tigerbreaux

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    Nah, on the country, they actually LIKED the phone, but felt they couldn't get it because it would make them seem gay.

10. mysticalsoul

mysticalsoul Squad Member

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    Masculinity is fragile for many reasons in my opinion. First, the term masculinity has been misrepresented to portray whatever we think our individual opinion is on being masculine. Overall, it just create confusion on what it truly is and even more confusing on trying to find out its true identity. Another reason masculinity is fragile in today society because you need others around you to make you live up to your expectations of a man or masculinity. Patriarchy ran by a masculine oriented model is damaging to most children and women no matter how serious or light we play it. I know on cypher ave with nick and ocky, the mass of the lgbt community no doubt about it hate the stance that they bring to the table of alternate ways of expressing ourselves individually. They see it as a harm to their gay community which is crazy since its supposed to be the "lgbt".So i guess since they backlash cypher ave for not accepting the crowd opinion of gayness, we building patriarchy over here on this over masculine website lol. Thats another issue, but the point I brought it up because in actuality we all define masculinity differently. In return, could that be why masculinity so fragile because we all are ignorant to what it actually is. Either we play it light or take it serious without creating a real description to build truth on it.