Minimalist Watches

Discussion in 'Fitteds, Blazers and Watches' started by Winston Smith, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Winston Smith

Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    I've never been one for ostentatious men's watches. Even though I've reached the point in my life where I guess I could buy a Rolex or TAG Heuer, I prefer minimalist design watches, no matter how inexpensive. To me, a good watch is like cologne; it should accent your presence and ensemble, not overwhelm the senses like "ooo, look, it's business man bling!" Thoughts?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

mojoreece, Lancer, Jdudre and 2 others dapped this.
  2. Lancer

Best Thread Creator The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I love minimalist watches and also designs. I think there is so much beauty in simplicity.

Winston Smith dapped this.
  3. HauteChocolat

HauteChocolat Squad Member

Daps Received:
    It's nice to have a proper watch. I think for a watch to properly accentuate one's presence and ensemble, it more often than not has to be well made with fine detailing and such can even be discerned from a distance - the guys in Switzerland and more recently, Germany, have mastered that art. This has nothing to do with actual branding, although that said, anyone with some knowledge about watches can discern the details peculiar to each brand from just about the same distance.

One's physic, personna and line of work also tends to play a part in determining if one is able to carry well a gyrotourbillon on one extreme end to a purely minimalist dial on the other.

A number of watch makers, in fact just about all of them carry simple elegant lines with little or no complications - omega, a. Lange &sohne's Saxonia, jaeger lecoultre's reverso and master control, the calatrava, parmigiani, vacheron constantin's patrimony and even officine panerai's luminor. One would truly be spoilt for choice.

As far as businessman bling goes, in business, watches are generally the one piece of jewellery guys are allowed to do and have fun with, so a proper accentuating watch is a good idea. Although I understand in some positions, one can't be too lavish in the choice of watch, no matter how discreet, as clients may think, he can afford that watch, I'm probably being overcharged (see discernment by people with knowledge of watches above).

#3 HauteChocolat, Sep 25, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  4. Winston Smith

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Good points. I haven't been in the private sector for awhile. As mentioned in other places here, I've ditched the "business casual" crap my agency allows and gone back to the traditional business look, as I think "business casual" just encourages American men to become fat, mentally unfocused slobs. Thus, my renewed interest in watches.

[​IMG]
    YES

[​IMG]
    NO

As for being too lavish, I guess it does depend on job, peers, and customer base. I'm reminded of an attorney I used to know who was in debt and bankruptcy. She ALWAYS dressed WAY under her station so as not to give the court and judges the impression that she was fleecing her clients who were already in financial straits.

5. jusrawb

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    Im starting to get into watches now but lately all Ive been wearing is my apple watch

6. NikR

Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    I'm getting into watches too.

I recently got my Dad a Tissot timepiece- Swiss-made perfection. I also have one for myself, a different model. It's practical, simple elegance. Not minimalist in any sense of the word- it has a tachymeter with date function, and is gorgeous on my wrist. Mine is numbered in quarters. My brown-banded Nautica chronograph isn't numbered, but again has a tachymeter, since I need to check pulses all day long lol. It's not too expensive a watch.

One day, I'll get my Omega. One day. Lead me to glory @Rico !

Winston Smith dapped this.
  7. Winston Smith

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    I'll keep you posted lol. Ive been slowing dusting off the cobwebs and stepping up my fashion game. I'm going to buy a couple next weekend.

8. jpo

jpo
    The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    FullSizeRender 2.jpg

My well-worn and inexpensive entry.